Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Help With Sizing 40S&W??

Help With Sizing 40S&W??

here is the situation -- ran several hundred 40S&W cases through my sizing die (new die set). For some reason I have cases that are not completely sized .. the die is adjusted all the way down .. here is the results:

Case sized correctly:

Case not completely sized - base is too large:

It may be something simple; but for the life of me, I can not figure it out!! I have reloaded for revolvers for many, many years without this type of problem. What am I doing wrong??

Which brand of dies? Contact the mfg and explain the problem you are having. Looks like a bad set of dies to me.

Ratt

Boolit Buddy
    You may have what is called “Glocked” brass. This may help…
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/for...904/m/84410681

Boolit Mold

40 s&w

Looks like glock brass to me. If you are using lee carbide dies you can take a file and remove some of die on the bottom side not to much. Then if you take the barrel out of your auto and drop the bullet in the barrel it may chamber.In the past I have had rounds not fit in my case gauge,and fire fine in my auto.I WILL NOT USE IN A MATCH.but for practice most work fine

now that is neat!! Will have to give it a try - already have all the necessary tools!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PszuLwEu8

Boolit Master
    wonder if that push through trick will work with 9mm case's?

Boolit Master

just one more reason NOT to own a Glock

"wonder if that push through trick will work with 9mm case's?" - I DON'T SEE WHY IT WOULD NOT - I HAVE NOT HAD A PROBLEM WITH GLOCK 9MM - ONLY 40 AND 45ACP

"just one more reason NOT to own a Glock" -- PROBABLY CORRECT!!

Here is a little more on the subject -- this is range brass, mixed headstamps and some many be from previous reloads. I have a substantial quanity and have been using it for years in my Beretta and S&W M&P without issue. Actually I have never found it necessary to gage cases in the past - all functioned great. I recently purchased a Glock 22 along with a Lone Wolf replacement barrel. Using the LW barrel my reloads that I have been shooting for years (175gr cast SWC) some of the reloads were not permitting the pistol to go into full battery - just a bit out of battery. You could actually push the slide forward and it would go into battery. Decided to gage some the cases prior to a reloading session. The pictures above demostrate what I discovered. My reasearch leads me to believe that the brass I am having the problem with was probably fired from a Glock with an unsupported chamber. I found a cure on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PszuLwEu8 ) --

RANGE REPORT (3/22/-09): Loaded three batches of .40cal - 175gr Lee TC sized to .401 with 4.2gr Bullseye

Batch #1: Brass which gaged good with the case gage
    Batch #2: Brass which did not gage good after being resized through a Lee carbide sizing die
    Batch #3: Brass which did not gage good after being resized through a Lee carbide sizing die but run through the Lee factory crimp die as noted in the YouTube video referenced in my previous post.

Three pistols were used:
    Pistol #1: Glock 22 with factory barrel
    Pistol #2: Glock 22 with Lone Wolf barrel
    Pistol #3: Beretta Mod96G

RESULTS: Pistol #1 functioned great with Batch #1, #2, and #3
    Pistol #2 functioned great with Batch #1 and Batch #3. Would not function at all with Batch #2 - would not go into full battery - not a single round!
    Pistol #3 functioned great with Batch #1, #2, and #3

CONCLUSION:
    The Lone Wolf barrel has a much tighter tollerance than the Glock Factory barrel or the Beretta barrel. Looks as if I will have to gage all my loaded ammunition for this barrel prior to going to the range if I wish to avoid problems!!
    Last edited by captain-03; 03-23-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    That looked like such a great idea for taking care of overexpanded - some like to call it 'Glocked' - brass that I ordered one of those Lee Carbide Factory Crimp dies in 40 cal. While I was awaiting delivery, I popped a piece of cold rolled I had laying around into the lathe and turned a 'pusher pin' sized to 0.400 so it would fit easily inside the die. Well, the die got here yesterday and this morning I used it and my new pusher pin to full length resize a couple of dozen overexpanded 10mm cases that wouldn't fit in my new Lone Wolf barrel. While it worked pretty much as depicted in the video, I did find that it went a LOT easier if I gave the cases a quick spray of Dillon case lube prior to running them into the Lee die. Maybe it's just that these 10mm cases were a bit thicker at the base - where the overexpansion was visually evident - or maybe it's the fact that I was using my old Lee Challenger press, which is a bit on the light side, to do the resizing but I found that even with the cases lubed it took a pretty fair amount of force to push some of those cases through the die. But the bottom line is that it works!!