WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: 1 oz lee slug load

1 oz lee slug load

just got my Lee 1oz slug mold , hadn't made any yet , but was wondering if anyone has tried using blue dot in a 2 3/4 winchester Red AA shell , if so how did it work and can I get the recipe from you ( grs of powder, wad, and did you use a under slug card, also has anyone here used any of the Lee roundball molds for buckshot, if so which one, the reason I stated the Lee mold is and I know its only 2 at a time , I won't be loading alot of it and the time casting is leisure time

Thanks copdills

I also have a 1oz. LEE DRIVEKEY mold laying around not doing much, a good tutorial on loading these would be much appreciated.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I've also tried the Lee 1 oz. slug with little success. I used it in a Baikal combo gun 6.5x55 under a 12ga. full choke. It would put a couple where you pointed but threw flyers all over. The wads where getting their petals ripped off threw the choke. Also found some slugs with the wad imbedded in the base. I was going to try card wads inside shot cup to see if that helped. Instead sold the nearly 10 pound combo gun. Didn't turn out to be as handy as I'd hoped.Now if I had an extra 2000 I'd buy this cool german 16ga. drilling.....

I load this slug in federal hulls with federal 12S3 wads, 1/8" 20 ga cards under the slug and Universal powder. I do not load them to max pressure. I think I am 1/2 grain under max. That was my most accurate load that did not tear the wads to shreads. I shot them out of my Mossy 500 with a rifled barrel. This is the only way that I have loaded them. It sure does work for me though. Lee has the load data on its website. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/SM3529.pdf

CheshireDave, & skiforce were you guys using 2 3/4 or 3" hulls

Thanks

2 3/4 inch hulls with a fold crimp.

I'm using a Remington 870 with a 20" Rem choke bbl. and a rifled choke. I don't remember the exact load, but I think I was using Blue Dot in W-W AA hulls and maybe my problem was I couldn't find the right wads? They didn't shoot better than a 6" group at 50yds using the rifle sights on the slug bbl. Commercial rifled slugs would group around 1.5" at 50 yds with the smooth cyl bore choke. I certainly wasn't doing something right with these slugs.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

The guys at Dixie slugs have done a good amount of research with these. Federal wads are all that they found to work. Everything I have seen duplicates their findings. If you can not load a 12S3 or 12S0 in the hull you have, switch hulls. These are very worth the time required to find out what works best in your gun/barrel. Just the lower cost is worth it. I have my load. I also have hundreds of slugs, hulls, and wads. That equates to the next 10 years of slug plinking (fun with reduced loads) and dead deer for me. Or you can spend 2-5 dollars per round for the rest of your slug shooting time. You choose.

I was using 2 3/4 case.I think a big part of my problem was the tight choke and those Russian guns are tough but rough. I'm going to get an 870 or some other pump so I can get a slug barrel.

Hi Dave, Copdills

I have two Boito shotguns one SxS and one under +over and both built like a tank. The SxS shot LEE slugs very well and the under + over didn't shot to good (minute of barn) I changed the chokes to full and modified. After that I could shoot a hand size target at 50 yards. So I sure the gun has a lot to do with accuracy. My guns are new (modern) might make a difference from older one's.
    lead Foot;

Thanks for the info on the Federal wads! I haven't noticed them for sale around here, but I load so little for shotgun I probably never noticed them if they wewe sitting right in front of me and on sale!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

You will probably need to mail order them. They are a little more expensive, but so worth it. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Skiforce. I just got a Mossy 500 combo with a standard and 24" rifled slug barrel. Did OK with some of the loads I had left over. I will get some Fed wads. I allready have some Gold Medal hulls. I thought it was the wads giving me trouble. Thanks for the info. I hope to get minute of Blacktail at 50 yards....

Boolit Master

I loaded up 10 slugs last night and am chomping at the bit ready to shoot them today! I used Universal hulls with a CB1114 wad and 36gr. of HS6 lit with a W209. The slug mold dropped the slugs perfect. Took little time to get them going till it was dropping good slugs. We'll see how these do today. I will be shooting them from 2 different guns. I have an Express 870 with an old Wingmaster barrel cut to 18in. with a pedestal bead sight. The other is a Remington Model 11 with a barrel cut to 18.5in. with a pedestal bead.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

sounds great EMC45 let us know how it works and Thanks

Boolit Master

I posted over in Molds thread that I started a while back.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.