Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: What tha..... ???? Hardness ???

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...

What tha..... ???? Hardness ???

I normally only smelt in small quantities, then use it up. But I've accumulated unough back-stock of WWs that I have needed to actually ingotize.

So, lastweek I poured bout 160# of 2# ingots. Yesterday I poured another 250#....

BUT, the indots I poured last week are SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the ones I poured yesterday.

In both cases it was a "cold" smelt, with all grundge skimmed at about 600deg.

Both smelts were of WWs that averaged 1.5oz or larger (I pre-sort by size... out of 260# of WWs I had only 4 floaters...)

Does one week of extra hardening make that much difference? Last week's ingots would dent yesterday's ingots - edge to edge - without taking any noticable dents themselves...

Very odd...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Grand Master

It would make some difference but WWs come in a variaty of metal mixtures. There is no single standard.
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remebrance

Yes, a weeks waiting does make that much difference. My fresh ingots go around 7-8 Bhn, in 2 weeks they go over 13. Quite a difference.

Boolit Master

Wow. OK, so I guess my BHN testing cycle is going to take longer than I anticipated...

About when does it level off?

I was planning on casting some plugs of ww, pb, 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, 4/1, 5/1 & 6/1 and testing the plugs on my LBT tester to see how they average out before casting up my hunting bullets for next fall...
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Master
    I don't know how long it would take an air cooled boolit, (or ingot) to stabilize, but water quenched boolits gain VERY rapidly for about 3 days, and then seem to level off. Tested with an LBT tester. I would think the vast majority of hardening would be done in a weeks time.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an LBT hardness tester. I wouldn't be without a good hardness tester (LBT or Cabine Tree are the best two, in my view).

Most common bullet alloys will pretty much stabilize at about two weeks. There are some slight changes afterwards but minor. Then, they gradually will get softer over a period of years.

However, I had several thousand bullets cast and sitting in my garage for several years while I got busy with the Schuetzen sport. When I started shooting revolvers and pistols again, I did not check the hardness but I shot them with the same results I had when they were reasonably fresh cast.

I have often shot bullets just days after casting. While they measured softer than they would have a couple of weeks later, they worked just as well...

I prefer to let them sit around for a couple of weeks before using but it really doesn't seem to make much difference. Most of my bullets are used these days for target use. It might well make a difference with my .44 magnums and .454's.

Dale53

Boolit Master

I'm wanting to work up a load that is as soft as possible but will still hit 1800 in my .357 Rossi without leading. My ACWW bullets work well but simply do not deform as much as I'd like in a soft-game/deer bullet.
    1.618034 Fnord

Boolit Grand Master

The answer that you are looking for is to get a gas checked bullet that will feed in your rifle. Then load it with 50/50 ww/pure lead with 2% tin added for good castability.

That way, you will have it soft enough to expand and the gas check should keep it from leading.

It would be helpful if we knew which bullet you were casting. You may already have an appropriate bullet but just need to soften the alloy.

Good luck!

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 03-23-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Banned

give them a month

In Remembrance
    Dan Theodore is currently running a long-term test on changing hardness.
    It starts in Post #9 of this http://www.shilohsharps.com/forums/v...b92a922d09f3a3

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    If you cast your ingots to a certain hardness and similar alloy (I'm thinking to try and standardize the alloy by hardness and source, like WW or range scrap or reclaimed birdshot), and wait whatever amount of time (days, weeks, years), the change in hardness is irrelevant, right? If I cast bullets from the same batch of ingots years apart, the hardness of the bullets at a set time after casting will be the same?

Banned

if they are the same alloy yes.
    at least close enough you nor your gun will notice the difference.