Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationPBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester '94 (new) in .25-35

Boolit Grand Master
    Love some of these resurrected threads. Since I was a co-conspirator within the earlier texts, I should add some more to the story and get onlookers up to date.

The story is a mixed bag, actually. I soldiered on with this little flatband carbine in 25-35, not finding any deer with it but strafing jackrabbits and a few ground squirrels from time to time. Both Hornady 117 RN and the NEI 114 FNGC figured in these depredations. Some time c. 2011 I noticed that extraction became balky all of a sudden while shooting the cast bullet loads using dacron filler. On the third such balky extraction, I took a better look at the fired brass I had just created, and saw that the barrel's chamber had been ringed at the neck/shoulder junction. I was sick over this, and it took a couple years of palavering around to finally arrive at the conclusion that there was no way to "salvage" performance of the 25-35 in anything like an affordable price or in a practical manner, so I had the barrel rebored to 38-55 by JES Reboring in Fall 2013, and have enjoyed it as a Brush Thumper ever since. I got out of the 25-35 caliber entirely after having the rebore finished, and likely won't return to it again. Dies, brass, and ammo went down the road in a down-sizing move that continues today with some of the other esoteric calibers I have entertained myself with over the years. I won't delve into the wherefores and whys here, but hobby vendor intransigence and arrogance for the past 6-7 years figures highly among the reasons.

In retrospect, if I was to take up the 25-35 "cause" again I would locate a Marlin 336 or Win 94 30/30 of some sort and have a gunsmith re-barrel it to 25/35. I would have it made up as a rifle--24" barrel and 2/3 magazine, shotgun or carbine butt profile. (Purists can go suck rocks--crescent rifle buttplates are as uncomfortable as a hair shirt and not half as practical). I would avoid the Ackley Improved version like the plague--it performs well, but cases won't fire-form and forming them is an unalloyed PITA--the form die set and custom reloading die set cost the earth, also. 1-8" 25 caliber barrels don't exactly grow on trees, either--1/10" will likely stabilize the 117 Hornady J-words (once you find the things.....) and 1-10" is much friendlier to castings. FWIW
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

So 9.3x62AL can we make the assumption you won't be fancying the use of Dacron in many of your cast loads any longer? Many advocate it's use, I'm not so sold on it. Sorry you lost a fine 25-35 because of it.

Boolit Master
    I found a most unusual 25-35 at a gun shop out in the middle of nowhere's kind'a cheap 15 years ago. Its a 1894 long barrel model having a factory pistol grip stock and a working original winchester tang mounted peep. It's barrel is half round and half octagon and I have only shot it twice in all the time I've owned it. Its in decent 80% condition. Just one for the wall is all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    So 9.3x62AL can we make the assumption you won't be fancying the use of Dacron in many of your cast loads any longer? Many advocate it's use, I'm not so sold on it. Sorry you lost a fine 25-35 because of it.
    NEVER AGAIN. I broke down 25/35 loads and some 243 Win loads (cast bullets) that were so assembled, and that material won't see light of day on my loading bench--EVER. Its use spoiled a very nice rifle in a rare variant--made during WWII timeframe, flatband......don't get me started. Thanks to Jesse Ocumpah at JES it is still a very nice and quite serviceable hunting and shooting tool, and not to put too fine a point to it.......the 38-55 is about 10 times as useful as the 25-35 and at least 20 times more lead-friendly. For a number of reasons my shooting has dwindled over the past 18 months or so, but one of the toys I do play with and carry afield frequently is this 94 x "37-55" as Buckshot has named it. It is fast-handling and compact bear medicine, and it wouldn't do a meth zombie a lot of good either if his/her course of conduct prompted its deployment.

As an aside here.......the longer I am away from cop work, the more prone I become to carting around revolvers and lever rifles instead of bottom-feeders. Both systems are the tools I grew up on, got comfortable with, and can use effectively. They may not be the most tacticool war toys ever fielded, but I like them and can make them work for me.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 12-12-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice thread, have very little knowledge of this cartridge but any thread about nice old Winchesters is worth a read.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote: The longer I'm away from cop work....

Me too! Though I have taken up CMP Highpower at CMP Talladega, and is taking away from my boolit casting and hunting!
    But, colder weather is coming and have freezer space needing filling...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ill revive this thread as I like most am not rich and simply cannot afford the outrageous prices that hustlers are asking for many times mediocre rifles. if your like me and have more time than money i scour the computer for reasonably priced usable guns. When I have funds to add get another shooter. i was able to find a winny 1894, 25-35 SRC for $425. I was amazed when i placed a bid on it and a week later no one else placed a bid on it.serial number dates it to 1907 but i believe it has been rebarreled. but it is in good functional condition. a month ago i was able to find seiller belot 6,5x52r ammo for $20 box. I guess the thing is you have to be patient and keep looking. What really blows me away is that the new jap made winchesters are $1000 +
    I would love to see a photo of your gun. Congrats on a great deal.

Boolit Mold

Red face New Winchester 1894 25-35 caliber

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    I just hear that Winchester was supposed to make a run of '94's chambered in .25-35; does anyone know if they actually made any? And if they did, where can I find one?
    I just purchased the 1894 Sporting Rifle (24 inch barrel) in 25-35 on Gun Broker.com. Since my purchase a couple days ago another few Sporting Rifles in 25-35 were listed. Also, the Short Rifle and Carbine were both widely available on Gun Broker, all NIB.

Boolit Master

Yep, several listed there and most priced at &999 and up. Just can't see that price, guess I am just too old!

Boolit Master

Maybe some brass becomes available sooner or later!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    Maybe some brass becomes available sooner or later!
    Hornady is making it now. I got a bag from Graf's a few weeks ago.

Boolit Master
    After Wrestler87's head's up I drifted over to "gunbroker". Sure enough there are a batch of 25/35's listed in various configurations. I went for the "sporter" configuration: 24" half-round half-octagon bbl. Should arrive here early next week.

Natchez Shooter's Supply had both Hornady brass and Lee dies in stock (the other outfits seemed to have either one or the other on back order) so those are on the way also. Looking forward to playing with the new baby -- hope she likes at least one of my three casties -- 70, 90, or 100 grainers.

Moderator Emeritus

If you google "Savage 340 repairs" there is a retired gunsmith that rebarreled a 30-30 to 25-35.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12