Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester '94 (new) in .25-35

Boolit Master

Winchester '94 (new) in .25-35

I just hear that Winchester was supposed to make a run of '94's chambered in .25-35; does anyone know if they actually made any? And if they did, where can I find one?

Yes..They made em..for a review try.. www.gunblast.com I have no idea where to fine one.

Boolit Buddy
    A couple of guys over on Leverguns.com have them. My father in law has a 1894 .25-35 made in 1899 that I am working on getting away from him. It hasen`t ben fired since 1945.
    Drool Drool!!
    Chuck

I got one, and its got to be one of the two best leverguns for accuracy I've ever shot. With a healthy dose of Rel. 10 (23.5gr), I got 2300fps with the 117gr. Hornady and two deer. Unfortunately, its the only gun I have I have not located a mold for yet. The stock isn't much to look at, but the performance makes up for it. It also will do 2800fps with the Rem. 86gr. flat nose with 28gr. of Rel. 10. It also does well with Benchmark, H4895, H322, and a few others. Rel. 10 shines in this caliber.

Boolit Master

Well, you guys that have them are lucky! I wish I had been more on the ball and paid attention when USRA started the legacy calibers. I've never had a .25-35 but it looks like a lovely caliber for varmint control and general clod bustin'!

Boolit Buddy
    TrooperDan,

You might want to call Ed's Guns up in Vass. He may be able to order one if there are any in the pipeline. I got one in .44 from him at the gun show in Raleigh last month. He had several but I'm not sure if he had one in that caliber.

BS

Boolit Master

Hey bigScot

As a matter of fact, I had emailed Ed's yesterday to see if he could do that very thing! The few I've seen on the auction boards has outrageous prices attached; i don't want to pay more than retail because I am a tightwad SOB!

Boolit Grand Master
    Dan--

I hear ya on the 25-35 "hungries". I spent ~5 years looking for one, after letting another one go--among the DUMBEST gun dispositions I've ever made. The example I did get in 1999 is a "flatband" Win 94, and it REALLY shoots well with the Hornady 117 RN mentioned above in this thread. I've used 27.0 x WW-760 right out of the Hornady Manual, and it shoots as well as I can hold open irons at 100 yards--1.25" to 1.5". No deer so far with the rifle, but in the environment I hunt in locally--shots at or under 100 yards--it would do fine work. It's not real challenging to build a good controlled-expansion j-word rifle bullet if impact speeds run from 1800-2300 FPS.

I have used the NEI 114 grain flatnose in this rifle, and it does fine work as long as velocities are kept below 1600 FPS. I'm assuming the 25-35 is much like the 6.5 x 55 with cast boolits--that STEEP rifling twist (1-8") does evil things to castings as speed increases. These loads are accurate and lethal on jackrabbits to 100 yards, a little bit of a rainbow trajectory.......but still very useful.

Dr. A--MANY THANKS for the Reloder-10 info--I've always thought one of those 25-20 bullets could do good work in this caliber, I gotta try that recipe out!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

http://www.gmdr.com/levern/2535-86sp.htm

Deputy Al,

This is Greg Mushial's data. This is from a rebarreled Marlin. The twist is slower than the current and past 25-35's. Amazingly, the data is fairly close from my 20 in. gun to his 24 in. William Iorg's data closely resembles mine, and his is a modern gun. We both maxed out at 23.5gr. for a hunting load using Rel. 10 and the 117gr. Hornady. He bemoans the fact that the bullet is heavier than necessary. I agreed until I saw the result the two does I shot in hunting season. One was farther than I had a right to be shooting.

There is a LOOOONG thread over on Shooters forum that deals with the 25-35. I believe its under the Handloading forum.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan
    Hey bigScot

As a matter of fact, I had emailed Ed's yesterday to see if he could do that very thing! The few I've seen on the auction boards has outrageous prices attached; i don't want to pay more than retail because I am a tightwad SOB!
    TD- any word from Ed's?

BS

Boolit Master

BigScot;

Not a word from Ed; I think he and his entire crew are at the SHOT show. I expected to see him at the Fayetteville show but they didn't have a setup.

Dan

Boolit Master

No joy in North Carolina

My local gun maven says no M94 .25-35 to be had, just a few in .44 and .45 I refuse to pay $1200-1500 the scalpers are asking! I'll wait a while and keep on looking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dan--

You are now seeing the same phenomenon I saw while in search of a decent 25-35 WCF example--I called it "The Yukon River Canoe Paddle Effect".

This came from the idiot wind pricing on some rugged, ragged examples I looked at in 25-35 during the time I spoke of in the earlier post. One sticks in my mind especially--an absolute rust bucket with $1,800.00 price tag at the 1998 L.A. Gun Show. I was about disgusted with this sort of skullduggery by that time, so I asked to see the piece anyway. The preposterousness of the sitch was extended further by the twist-tie binding the lever in place. I stifled my laughter, and began looking very closely at the lower tang area. The guy behind the table asked, "Is there something you're looking for?"

Me--"The nameplate."

Him--"The what?"

Me--"The nameplate. Looking at its price and condition, I'll bet either Robert Service or Jack London used it for a canoe paddle." The rust depth suggested Chris Columbus or maybe Leif Ericsson, but I went easy on the guy.

He seemed at a loss for words, but I wasn't--"NO THANKS."

I looked at a couple dozen such examples with depressed condition and inflated pricing. At the next L.A. Gun Show (Spring '99) I took a buddy of mine from backwoods Minnesota to see his first gun show, which he enjoyed immensely. So did I, it was almost as much fun as taking your kids to their first Disneyland trip. I took another disgusted look at a 70% 1894 in 25-35 with a $1500 tariff, and gave it back to the vendor. An onlooker hit me up, asking if I was looking for a 25-35. I told him I was, and he gave me the phone number of a guy in Northern California who had one for sale. Long story short--I got a flatband 94 in about 90% or better shape, Lachmiller dies, and 200 pieces of new brass for 600 bucks.

I think you have to sort through a number of Canoe Paddles before finding a gem.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

I spent an hour or 2 one afternoon with an old Montana outfitter, Howard Copenhaver, at his home in Ovando. In between an elk push with his daughter-in-laws' brother we traded some stories and I rested my back against a Grizzly bear hide draped over the couch. He had shot it with his 25-35 as he shot most game, he was about 135 lbs and sensitive to recoil he said. This may be more than a varmit gun if you find one. As I recall he said the bear went down with 1 shot at 15 ft. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Gianni: I'm thinking that if Mr.Copenhaver has thought to announce himself,The grizz.would have Sxxx.himself to death on the spot..!! Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    This may be like salt in a wound but here goes. A friend at work talked for years about an uncle who had a Browning Auto-5 12ga in 3in mag. This guy is a duck hunter. The uncle dies with no sons and daughters do not want guns. My friend buys his guns to get the Browning, the other gun is a Win. 94 in 25-35 made in 1923. My dad was born in 23 so I had to have the Win. I swaped him a 1903A3 barreled action from an ROTC drill rifle for the Win. She had been hunted hard but the boys at Turnbull made her a silk purse. Just the thing for the Texas Whitetails and someday we are going into camp where all the boys are talking about their latest Remchester UltraShortFatSomethingMag and get us a Desert Goat.
    Jim

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Gianni, old Howard has some good stories. I'd like to spend some time with him, and get educated.

Moderator Emeritus

I think he passed away last year but a great guy. I no longer see his Daughter in law often of her brother hardly at all. Howard was as fine of a storyteller as I ever heard and he just kept rolling 'em out. Gianni.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Howard C. has been gone since '04.. you will have to read the stories you missed in one of the books.. onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    ill revive this thread as I like most am not rich and simply cannot afford the outrageous prices that hustlers are asking for many times mediocre rifles. if your like me and have more time than money i scour the computer for reasonably priced usable guns. When I have funds to add get another shooter. i was able to find a winny 1894, 25-35 SRC for $425. I was amazed when i placed a bid on it and a week later no one else placed a bid on it.serial number dates it to 1907 but i believe it has been rebarreled. but it is in good functional condition. a month ago i was able to find seiller belot 6,5x52r ammo for $20 box. I guess the thing is you have to be patient and keep looking. What really blows me away is that the new jap made winchesters are $1000 +

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast