Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Postell????

Boolit Man

Postell????

What does this term mean when referring to a bullet or mold. Does it have any significance regarding people delivering letters?

Thanks
    Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Postells are usually the long pointy boolits. Pronounced (paw-stell) not post al .If I knew how to do it, I'd post a picture but alas, I be IGNORANT
    Knarley

Boolit Buddy
    It is pronounced ***-Tell, soft "O". It is a boolit that is a bit of a bore rider, somewhere between a sharp Spitzer (not the disgraced former governor of New York) and a round nose government boolit as was used in the old 45-70 Trapdoor rifles. In the 45 caliber boolits it is heavier than 500 grains, anywhere from 520 to 550 grains. It is prefered by many shooters for its good long range performance, even at 1000 yards and beyond. I'm not sure of the names origins, but it is likely it is named for the person who designed the boolit. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys. I have been looking for a 45-70 molds and have looked at a few postells. Just have been wondering the significance.
    Stephen

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    It's major significance is its been around since the late 1800's and many designs have come and went , but its still darn hard to beat for a long range 45 caliber grease groove bullet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Paul Jones manufacturers the PGT long range design for the 45.

I used this bullet in my 45/90 at Creedmoor 2006 to 1000yds with great success; it has an extra lube groove over similar design by Lyman

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Man
    Thats a nice looking mold BAW what weight?

Boolit Master
    I believe a certain Captain J. C. Postell designed that boolit for long range target shooting with the .45-70 and had the Ideal Company make up the moulds.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    Paul Jones manufacturers the PGT long range design for the 45.
    Paul Jones (and others) also cut moulds for the Postell design, but Jones is the only maker currently offering the PGT.

There is a noticeable difference between the PGT and the Postell if you set them side-by-side. The Postell could be called a 'generic' bullet because it fits well...and shoots well...in most rifles. The 'nominal'diameter of the Postell is .458", although a custom maker would adjust that to fit the customer's rifle. The nominal weight (with 'soft' alloy) is 535 grains.

Although it also can perform well in any brand of rifle, the PGT was designed specifically for the (rather unique) throat dimensions in Pedersoli rifles. The design calls for a .460" diameter because that is the size of the freebore in Pedersoli guns. The weight (as indicated in the design's official name) is specified as 550 grains.

It was developed with the assistance of (now defunct) Victory Molds.
    It was named the ".460-550-Pedersoli/Gunn/Trenk" (PGT) bullet.

The mould I have is (I believe) the last one shipped out by Steve Fotou when he closed down Victory Molds.
    It wasn't very long after that closure when Paul Jones began to list the design on his website.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 03-20-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Man
    Good info. Thanks
    Stephen

My mold was also made by Victory. With my alloy, boolits finish 546gn. I also have PJ moulds for my other BPCR's.

The extra cost of these "custom' moulds over standard factory is well worth the effort. The reject rate is less than 5%, perfectly round and extremely consistant in finished weight.

The product features very thick top plate, a unique venting arrangement and an additional alignment pin. I'm currently building a custom 32/40 target rifle and PJ will be the preferred mold supplier.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Greetings; Know of any "Postell" style commercial boolits avail., under 500gr? I'd like to try some longer range shooting with my "JM" Marlin 1895 18.5" barrel. My MicroGroove slugs at .461". Thanks pard.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    Greetings; Know of any "Postell" style commercial boolits avail., under 500gr? I'd like to try some longer range shooting with my "JM" Marlin 1895 18.5" barrel. My MicroGroove slugs at .461". Thanks pard.
    I have one I got from Cast Bullet Engineering here in Aus - its the one he recommends for the pedersoli barrels (460-535PB) - I called him and got him to make a second mold minus one lube groove and driving band - that one weighs 466grains - has three grooves instead of four - its a pretty close copy nose profile of the Lyman mold Wallace referenced above mold - mine drops 462 - nice consistent weight and round - I have been using the 466 grain in my Uberti 1876 ....................

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walstr View Post
    Hi,
    If you are looking for ready made cast bullets, contact Dan at the Bullshop. He'll custom cast them for you and he has a wide variety of moulds. I've had him make me a few to try and they are great quality. Hope this helps.
    Ed

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Postell design molds available ... https://brooksmoulds.com/basepour.html
    Regards
    John

Buffalo Arms has the 535gr Postell in both loaded BPCR ammo as well as pre-cast and lubed boolits.

Both are showing temporarily out of stock right now.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/45-70-go...0-amobp4570535

https://www.buffaloarms.com/458-535-...-50-457132-458
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

The only custom mould maker that made the 457132 like the original Ideal mould and the was Walt before he passed away at NEI. The base bands diameters and the shape of the ogives are not like the originals in the moulds now made.
    The originals were available in three lengths and weights 415g, 475g, 535g
    This is about as close to the original you will find. https://www.buffaloarms.com/459-530-...-jim459530p1bb If I could have only one mould and one bullet it would be the original 457132 in the adjustable option.
    I use this profile in my .50-2.5 Sharps and I have found nothing that will out shoot it in this rifle.

Boolit Master
    Zack borrowed my old Lyman Ideal 457132 Postell mould and sent castings to Buffalo Arms to pattern their mould from. If BA’s version isn’t an exact copy of the original Postell design, I don’t know who could get closer. The only difference I would expect from BA is a reduction in the slight out-of-roundness my original exhibits.

Castings from my mould look like the woodcuts in the old Ideal Handbooks, including the relatively skinny nose and the slight bevel on the base. The computer-generated picture in current Lyman listings for the 457132 appears to have a flat base. I don’t know if the other dimensions have changed or not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Zack borrowed my old Lyman Ideal 457132 Postell mould and sent castings to Buffalo Arms to pattern their mould from. If BA’s version isn’t an exact copy of the original Postell design, I don’t know who could get closer. The only difference I would expect from BA is a reduction in the slight out-of-roundness my original exhibits.

Castings from my mould look like the woodcuts in the old Ideal Handbooks, including the relatively skinny nose and the slight bevel on the base. The computer-generated picture in current Lyman listings for the 457132 appears to have a flat base. I don’t know if the other dimensions have changed or not.
    How do you like that bullet? I emailed Zack about it shortly after he got the mold from BACO. He seemed to like it but hadn't done enough testing at that time. I've got a Meacham highwall with an RKS barrel with a reasonably tight bore. It'll lead with the BACO Money bullets as the nose is a bit too big for the bore, but I was thinking that the smaller nose on the Postell might make for a big improvement.

thanks,

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Is the Lee 459 500 3R boolit considered a Postel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast