RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broke my Auto prime

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    How on earth does anyone tolerate the slowness of priming on a press!!!???
    That would be for those who use two thumbs on the Lee.

The advantage of a hand priming tool is being able to feel the primer touch the bottom of the pocket.

Using enough power to crush the primer below the case head is not the answer, actually. If touching bottom doesn't put the primer deep enough, there is a problem with the brass.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I've got a used one to sell if any body is interested.....
    SpaceGlocker

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with EDG. I've used the newer auto prime... a lot, but still prefer the older type with the screw-in shell holders. He and I have company, too, since there was another thread here on that one and a bunch of odd shell holders started changing hands!

I would like to see Lee or somebody take the basic design of the old priming tool or the newer auto prime and make it out of quality materials. Then you could buy it once and use it virtually forever. I guess Lee sees the reloading market as a bunch of tightwads that won't spend money on quality.

Froggie

Green Frog Said "I would like to see Lee or somebody take the basic design of the old priming tool or the newer auto prime and make it out of quality materials. Then you could buy it once and use it virtually forever. I guess Lee sees the reloading market as a bunch of tightwads that won't spend money on quality"

If they made one that lasted forever, they wouldn't be making them too long. Everybody that wanted one would have one and the demand would dry up. Probably

In Remebrance

I went through 4 or 5. Every one left dimpled primers. They worked and I was happy. I lubed, cleaned primer pockets, etc. Finally broke down and bought an RCBS, naturally just before they came out with the improved design, but it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGlocker View Post
    I've got a used one to sell if any body is interested.....
    I'm interested, Pm sent.
    Ron
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the good deal SpaceGlocker, I bought yours for my son that's getting into reloading. I've had great success with mine with no problems.

Wondering if it shipped yet?
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I had two back when I was a teenager, but I quickly discovered their "feel" is like mashing a dog turd. They have no "feel" compared to a quality priming tool. So I threw them in a box where they have been for 30 years, and will be until I die probably. I generally use the little rcbs priming press.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

I break the handle on mine every couple of years, no big deal as I keep an extra handy. I' ve tried the RCBS model with the tray, now someone else owns it...I'll stick with the LEE.

http://leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/1002.jpg

This is the part that breaks for me only when I try to manhandle CCI primers in. New brass can sometimes be a little tighter too, so on occasion when a bunch cases need a Little more
    snort to get the primers bottomed out, I use my slow Co-Ax press mounted priming tool.

I've got 4 of those priming Lee tools and one RCBS. The Lee's have always been my first choice. While placing a order at Lee's, I had them include 4 extra priming leavers at $2. each. Over the last 30 some years of using a couple different kinds of Lee's priming tools I've broken at least 5. That's after the tools all been lubricated too....Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
    Green Frog Said "I would like to see Lee or somebody take the basic design of the old priming tool or the newer auto prime and make it out of quality materials. Then you could buy it once and use it virtually forever. I guess Lee sees the reloading market as a bunch of tightwads that won't spend money on quality"

If they made one that lasted forever, they wouldn't be making them too long. Everybody that wanted one would have one and the demand would dry up. Probably
    There are some quality units out there, and they take rcbs shell holders.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    How on earth does anyone tolerate the slowness of priming on a press!!!???
    I hear ya there. Thats why I like the Autoprime II for stuff I am not priming on the turret or progressive press.
    I use the Autoprime II on the press for new brass or brass that has already been sized/deprimed. Works just as fast as a hand primer cause of the feed tray (like on the hand primer). I like it so much I got rid of my hand primer years ago.