Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: .375 h&h

Boolit Buddy

.375 h&h

A while back I came across a cheap browning a-bolt chambered for .375 H&H, it's the "all-weather" model with a stainless action/barrel set in a plastic stock.

I don't have any ammo or brass for it and have never fired it, should I just sell it off?

I live in southwest florida and can't think of a good excuse for owning a gun made for Alaska or Africa.

I have rifles in .22, 223, 5.45, .243, 6.5X52, 30-30, 30-40, 308, 7.5, 7.65X53, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, 303, 7.7X58, 8X57, .35 Rem, .41 rimfire and .50 BMG so it's not like I need another caliber to keep track of

To top off my caliber woes I nearly fell in love with a Ruger #1 at the last gun show, caliber? .458

How well can the big 375 or 458 magnums be loaded down?

PP

Great wabbit guns! for an end-all cast bullet gun, the .375 H&H is nearly perfect IMHO.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    ...for an end-all cast bullet gun, the .375 H&H is nearly perfect IMHO.
    Why?

PP

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    Great wabbit guns! for an end-all cast bullet gun, the .375 H&H is nearly perfect IMHO.
    I have to agree with leftiye, absolutely a great cast bullet cartridge. Would be good for those "hogzilla's ya'll supposed to have down there.

Larry Gibson

No the H&H is not good for anything. However, to keep you from feeling bad about your purchase, I will trade you my stimulus money for it! just box it up and send it to me and as soon as I get my big stimulus check I will forward it to you.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like with the addition of the 375 H+H and the 458 to your list there's not much you'll need to be concerned about, long as you can see it!

Glad 'yer havin' fun joshin' us!

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't actually buy the .458, I wanted to but restrained myself. It was darned tempting-$600 for a #1 jungle...

Here is a lousy pic of the Browning .375 I got out of an estate a while back.

PP

Boolit Master

I've been shooting plain based bullets in a Mark X of mine, and it shoots really well. I intend to try gas checked bullets with real authority soon. I'd keep the .375.

CDD

Boolit Master
    My nephew (23) has the twin to yours, with a silver finish Leupold 3-9X scope on it. He is learning to cast moa bullets for it with an NEI 310gr GC mould out of WW. We are playing with the 7383 because it was $24 for a 7lb keg from Pat's. We have hit 1800fps with it and stayed under 2" at 100yds. I expect it will kill anything in Idaho at that velocity. I have a CZ, doing about the same.

As was said, probably T-H-E best cast bullet cartridge out there if you hunt.

Rich
    Buff Killer

PP, To answer your question, The .375 is a good caliber for cast in the sense that it will shoot anything from round ball to 300 plus grainers at anything from potgut velocities (explodes em with round balls) to elephant energies. The case is large enough that slower powders can be used with cast for high velocity too. In terms that are more subjective, It will kick a lot less than a 500 grain .45 caliber, and it does yet still have killing power with cast or jacketed to kill anything you can find in the Americas. I don't know about if this is still true, but there used to be African countries that allowed its use on Efelant.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Bub
    My 375 H&H is more accurate with cast than jacketed. I think it has to do with the freebore in the magnum chambering.

I had killed 2 deer with it with cast. An easy cast load with about the same foot pounds as a 30-30. Shot one deer facing me and got full penetration from stem to sturn and can eat right up to the hole. (no wasted meat).

Sure is a heck of a lot of fun to shoot too. Keep it and impress your friends every time you pull out a loaded cartridge, they will think you're gonna break your shoulder when you fire it.
    As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Large case allows velocity with relatively low chamber and muzzle pressures.

RCBS 37-250-FN works great and the "pre-expanded" boolet is hard to beat for deer and hogs I've used it on.

sorry for the dangling participle