WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Lub E Question?

Boolit Buddy
    Bullshop is your lube in need of hardining or is it as described hard enough to go thru a lubersizer with out needing a heater or a little softer and can be firmed up at the users descetion?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktail 8541
    Bullshop is your lube in need of hardining or is it as described hard enough to go thru a lubersizer with out needing a heater or a little softer and can be firmed up at the users descetion?
    Blacktail 8541
    Well sir I feel a bit silly but must confess I dont realy understand your question so I will just ramble a bit.
    I mostly use the basic formula without any hardining. If someone wants a bit harder or less tacky I add the carnauba for them. Both ways still go through the lube sizer at room temp without heat.
    I use only raw yellow bees wax. I got some of the BIG BUY wax from LAR 45 and it did not work well. It changed the lube consistancy to be very soft.
    The wax I got from him did not look like raw wax to me. It was too clear and had no sweet odor of honey what ever even when melted.
    All other raw wax I have used will fill the room with a sweet odor when being melted. I dont know why the difference but that wax does not work with the proportions I have given. It will work but the proportions must be adjusted.
    I have found the raw yellow/brown wax that still contains the natural glues is best.

I guess If a person is not satisfied with the consistancy of the formula I have given there is no harm in firming it or softening it for that matter.
    What matters is the way you do it. I will never add parifin to any lube. In my experiance it degrades the quality of the lube. It will reduce the velocity potential of the lube.
    I will also never add any solid material as mica as some do to eliminate tackyness. In my experiance it degrades accuracy.
    If you want harder add bee wax if you want softer add more Bull Plate and thats the only way I would do it.
    I am shure that some here will disagree with my views on the use of parifin, and of solids such as mica or graffite but I just call em like I see em and thats the way it shakes out for me.
    Try it all yourself and make up your own mind. Thats realy the best way, and the only way you can ever be satisfied your doin things the bast way.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    That's true, Daniel, about petro products reducing the velocity potential of a lube. This is why adding castor oil is a solution to that problem. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    You answered the question , basicaly wanted to know if it was not to sticky when handling or if it needed a bit of hardining.

Banned
    Or fish oil , Felix

Joe

Joe, yes indeed, fish oil is good, and this depends on how it is refined so it will mix into the lube properly. The downside is the smell of the finished lube. Besides, whale oil is far too good for shooting out of a barrel. A pure waste. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Felix,

First you can't call whale oil fish oil because a whale is a mammal. Ok, that out to the way, what fish can oil be produced from? My very first dirt bike was a 73 Yamaha DT2 250cc Enduro. I remember the first time I changed out the transmission oil. Boy, really weird looking stuff and I dropped my dang screwdriver in the pan I drained it into. I could well grab the screw driver but I sure as hell couldn't hold on to it. I'll have to say that is one of the most slippery lubes I've ever seen.

Yeah, no more killing the whale, leave them alone.

Joe

Tranny fluid is great, Joe. It's a good lube ingredient. ... felix
    felix

felix---you have been educated and enlightened greatly----you cant call whale oil fish oil. This mentoring came from none other than one that said ground hogs arent vegetarians because they eat a little fruit.

Banned
    So much you know Carpetman, turns out I was more right then you. Here's what you said after my post: Starmetal---"Strictly vegetarian---except for a little fruit". That little fruit would make them carnivorous? They grow cows on fruit trees in your parts?

Now read:

A carnivore is an animal that gets food from killing and eating other animals.

A herbivore is an animal that gets its energy from eating plants, and only plants

Omnivores can also eat parts of plants, but generally only the fruits and vegetables produced by fruit-bearing plants.

So that makes a groundhog an ominvore.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Lar45 .... I wondered how you got that red tint to your lube ..... Maketrs Mark huh ......?
    Nighthunter

Boolit Buddy
    I apprieciate the help, but I think this discussion has strayed a bit.

Joe---you side stepped the issue----the word I used was vegetarian--you gave no definition for that. You may have to invent your own word. I have invented one--BOOBACIOUS and it comes in handy every now and again and people easily grasp it's meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    Felix,

First you can't call whale oil fish oil because a whale is a mammal. Ok, that out to the way, what fish can oil be produced from? My very first dirt bike was a 73 Yamaha DT2 250cc Enduro. I remember the first time I changed out the transmission oil. Boy, really weird looking stuff and I dropped my dang screwdriver in the pan I drained it into. I could well grab the screw driver but I sure as hell couldn't hold on to it. I'll have to say that is one of the most slippery lubes I've ever seen.

Yeah, no more killing the whale, leave them alone.

Joe
    Definitions of fish oil on the Web:

Oil made from processing whole fish (usually small oily and bony fish such as menhaden or anchovy) and its byproducts. Fish oil is used as an ingredient in animal feed and is sold for consumer and commercial purposes.
    www.oceansalive.org/explore.cfm

The most popular source of dietary omega-3 fatty acids is fish oil. Fatty fish, such as mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, and albacore tuna contain high levels of omega-3 in the forms of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acid.
    xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/sum03/concepts.html

Paint drying agent made from oil from certain fish.
    www.peakagents.ca/glossary/f7.htm

fish-liver oil: a fatty oil obtained from the livers of various fish
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Fish oil is oil derived from the tissues of fatty fishes. This oil naturally contains the Omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Fish oil is now recommended for a healthy diet. It is beneficial to eat fish once a week (or more) but care must be taken to avoid the fish species which contain the toxin mercury or other contaminants such as Chlordane. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman
    Joe---you side stepped the issue----the word I used was vegetarian--you gave no definition for that. You may have to invent your own word. I have invented one--BOOBACIOUS and it comes in handy every now and again and people easily grasp it's meaning.
    Here it is Ray:

The term 'Vegetarian' was coined in 1847. It was first formally used on September 30th of that year by Joseph Brotherton and others, at Northwood Villa in Kent, England. The occasion being the innaugural meeting of the Vegetarian Society of the United Kingdom.

The word was derived from the Latin 'vegetus', meaning whole, sound, fresh, lively; (it should not be confused with 'vegetable-arian' - a mythical human whom some imagine subsisting entirely on vegetables but no nuts, fruits, grains etc!)

Prior to 1847, non-meat eaters were generally known as 'Pythagoreans' or adherents of the 'Pythagorean System', after the ancient Greek 'vegetarian' Pythagoras.

The original definition of 'vegetarian' was "with or without eggs or dairy products" and that definition is still used by the Vegetarian Society today. However, most vegetarians in India exclude eggs from their diet as did those in the classical Mediterranean lands, such as Pythagoras.

Joe

Starmetal---The vegetarian society might have started in 1857---but I doubt the word vegetarian was coined then. They probably had vegetarians all the way back to the Garden of Eden and didnt know what to cal them all those years?

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    I did not ask about fish oils or their definitions, I asked about pistol bullet lubes.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Blacktail, trying to keep this bunch on track, is as easy as herding ferrets. I've never seen it happen before, and doubt I ever will. For pistol, Javalina will work fine, as will practically any other lube. Pistols don't require all that great of a lube, and I have even heard of crayon being used.

I don't know why anyone would want to oil a fish for, anyhow. Probably easier than smoking them, though.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I didn't think I would be able to steer the other members back on course but I had to try, I needed some help and with the combined knowledge that is availabe here it is worth the effort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast