RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: finished the auto annealer today

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Looks good. Might make a rub block that bolts below off the pillow block bolts and provide friction on the shaft.
    that is what i was thinking, i have some plastic from old skidplates for snowmobiles so i am going to try that stuff.

thanks again for the help.

Boolit Bub
    Well i worked on the case turning set up and learned quite a bit. then i bit the bullet and cut the holes and installed it on the build.

here is what i learned:

you have to have the motor set up adjustable unless you are going to only do one size case head. so what i did is made a jig bolted it to the bearing and used it to guide the drill bit as i slotted the mounting holes

i then just barely tightened the inside bolt –– you can't get to it with the plate on–– and i made my adjustments with the outboard screw. i do need to slot it a bit more so it will work a little better with 308 cases but it will do 223 base cases perfectly as you can see

in the video below. it also does grendel cases when i adjust the motor and it will do 308's but sometimes they move a little.

also it is best to have the drop out slot right after the case spin to avoid tipping cases getting back on to the plate.

you can watch a video here to see my first test run case turning test run video

Boolit Bub
    I decided to try my hand at making my hornady case feeder work on my annealer.

here is a short video of it in action Case feeder video

Looks like it should work. What is the extra hole in the wheel for.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Looks like it should work. What is the extra hole in the wheel for.
    that is for access to my adjustment screw for my case spin motor. when you change case head sizes you have to adjust the motor so they won't walk.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a link to the video of it completed and painted running the first batch of 223

http://youtu.be/32gPHKWNtyw

Boolit Master
    Absolutely fantastic!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Mold
    Its a work in progress. Waiting on some electrical components. Maybe Ill get it done soon.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone ever considered marketing a kit for this?

Sort of, I sell the "blade" with scale drawings of the top plate, torch arms and drive wheel, that the other guys here used to put theirs together. Some go the fast simple way and some like bigdawg go beyond what I originally built.

Boolit Master
    Cool deal. Thanks jmorris. I don't have a welder nor the expertise though, so I would need a bolt-together type kit. Maybe someone enterprising will put one together someday.

I guess I could make it out of wood though.... Decisions, decisions.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Cool deal. Thanks jmorris. I don't have a welder nor the expertise though, so I would need a bolt-together type kit. Maybe someone enterprising will put one together someday.

I guess I could make it out of wood though.... Decisions, decisions.
    there is at least one guy on ar15 that is making one out of wood.

he was posting in my thread over there and said he would post up pics.

The brass o matic was basically the same thing as the base machine folks are putting together here, it cost $400. I could have the top plate CNC laser cut along with the blades and machine the torch arms and cut some all thread but at that point you would just sell a finished product.

Once I had my machine running I figured I would help other DIY types out with the hard part.

Boolit Buddy
    Very basic unit made with a sheet metal top and some scrap wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0284.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thanks, all. It looks like the only two ready-to-buy ones I can across (KinetiX Precision and Ken Light) don't quite have the universality of the design on this thread. I'll keep this option in mine once I get into rifles. (I'm just shooting pistols right now.)

If your just not a builder type, you might look at the griaud it's a tad cheaper than the ones your looking at.

Boolit Mold
    First post here. I was reading the thread and noticed some were looking to build a wood framed annealer. With the help of jmorris and BIGGDAWG through other forums I built one. Here is a short video of a test run. I wasn't going to do a case feeder, but am working on a cheap version and will try using the Lee collater as the foundation.

The decking is oak plywood with oak frames - dado'd and mitered. The aluminum slide plate under the blade is a modified mason's hawk. The other components are very similar to what has been posted. If anyone is interested I can post pictures of the build process later.

Boolit Bub
    That turned out great. love the wood. makes it possible for more people to build their own.

good work and thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by RLR350 View Post
    First post here. I was reading the thread and noticed some were looking to build a wood framed annealer. With the help of jmorris and BIGGDAWG through other forums I built one. Here is a short video of a test run. I wasn't going to do a case feeder, but am working on a cheap version and will try using the Lee collater as the foundation.

The decking is oak plywood with oak frames - dado'd and mitered. The aluminum slide plate under the blade is a modified mason's hawk. The other components are very similar to what has been posted. If anyone is interested I can post pictures of the build process later.

Nice build, what is that you have for a power supply?

Boolit Master
    what motor did you use for the cast turner?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast