Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-110 in 45-120?

45-110 in 45-120?

I was given a Pedersoli 45-120 and of course I can not find 120 brass. So I was wanting to know if anyone here has tried out 110 brass in it. Kinda like the .22 S Long, and Long Rifle thing. I will try it but if anyone else has, I would like to hear about it. I don't suspect it won't work but seem to think the accuracy may be a little less than sterling...Thank you...Walt

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Yes you could fire 110 in a 120. Accuracy probably won't amount to much and leading will likely be horrific.

You might want to check the Norma 45 basic brass, I think it's 3.25 long. Cabelas carries it as well as Midway.
    You should be able to get 3.25 brass from Buffalo Arms.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Last edited by SharpsShooter; 03-13-2009 at 11:15 AM.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Don,
    I will keep on a trucking on this. Norma was out of brass for it and doesn't seem to be wanting to make any more from what I was told when I ordered some from Midway.
    I sorta really figured it would go bang but be about as accurate as my golfball mortar LOL..Thanks again...Walt

Boolit Master
    Good way to ruin a chamber too.

The Lunger

I bought my 45-20 brass from Huntington Die Specialties....this was great brass and it cost $2 each...lasted forever too.

I don't think they have them listed but I had my dealer call them and they had it in stock.

Good Colorado Morning!
    Yes, as others have written you can shoot 45-70 through 45-120 in your P brand!
    But, nothing but 45-120 will be accurate beyond 60 yards, or so.

You may also be able to find brass by calling C Sharps, and/or Shiloh. You will spend around $2 a piece.

I have 10 (200 pieces) boxes of RCBS 45 Basic (Collectible) I may be proded into selling. You never see this stuff for sale. I opened one box, breaking the seal just to see condition. It's "AS NEW!"

Thanks!
    GRB

Boolit Buddy
    Now back living in the Uk after 10 glorious years living in France

Some questions for the Lunger

Hi Lunger,

I cannot find info on the length of 45 - 120 cartridge cases, please can you tell me?......i found out that 45 - 110's are 2 7/8 ins.

Why will shooting 45 - 110's in a 45 - 120 ruin the chamber?......we are talking BP pressure here.....so why will that ruin the chamber?......surely not gas cutting?....and shooting cast lead bullets....in relation to the steel of the chamber this is really soft....and post shooting any fouling build up will be cleaned out wouldn't it?

Wouldn't shooting 110's in a 120 chamber be like shooting .38's in a .357 cylinder?

And if the bullet was set well out of the case wouldn't that compensate for the chamber difference?....I know those 'torpedos' that you mile shooters use are really long so there would be loads of length to do this....probably even enough to engage into the rifling.

I'm always looking to learn something new and I can't work out why it will ruin a chamber, please can you explain, many thanks.

Safe shooting,

Limey
    .......never mind Quigley's gun....I just wish I had his eyesight!!!!

Limey, the 45-120 case is 3.25 inches long.
    You'll have to wait a week or so to continue the discussion with Kenny. He's in Phoenix to shoot in the America's Cup Creedmore event.

Boolit Buddy
    Now back living in the Uk after 10 glorious years living in France

Thanks Don

Thanks Don for the case length info.

What's your view on why just 3/8's would ruin a chamber?.....from what I've read on the Forum it seems many people have 45 - 70's that have chambers longer than spec.....more like 45 - 90's in some instances and they seem to have been happily shooting with those guns for ages.

Safe shooting,

Limey
    .......never mind Quigley's gun....I just wish I had his eyesight!!!!

Okay, I'm Ron; not Don. But, I have an opinion!

Unless you plan to shoot really hot 45-110, I don't think shooting them in your 45-120 will hurt anything. However, it will definitely dirty up your chamber. And, if you do decide, or find some 45-120s you'll need to make sure your chamber is clean before shooting them.

And, correct IMO. Shooting 45-110 in a 45-120 is similar to shooting 38s in a 357 Mag.
    Just more bango!

By the way, there's plenty of 45-120 brass out there; all you have to do is pay up to play.
    GRB

I don't have any opinion on whether or not it would ruin a chamber, but I do know Kenny well enough that if he say it'll ruin it, then he's probably got something solid to back him up.
    I have one of those infamous longchambered Italians, and can tell you I was not happily shooting it , until I figured out how far out of spec that chamber is. Now that I trim 45-90 brass just bit so it fits properly I am much happier with the rifle. Lesson learned buying cheap , only saves you money for a short while.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Wouldn't shooting 110's in a 120 chamber be like shooting .38's in a .357 cylinder?
    When you consider that most of those revolver rounds are loaded with smokeless and jacketed bullets, the differences are rather notable. The bullets don't obturate into the 1/10th-inch gap, so a bit of powder fouling is all that might accumulate.

Black powder fouling, lead, and bullet lube...all packed into a 3/8th-inch gap is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    from what I've read on the Forum it seems many people have 45 - 70's that have chambers longer than spec.....more like 45 - 90's in some instances
    Those 'deep' chambers are usually (like) 30 thousandths over...not three tenths.

And those who have the issue stretch their cases to the correct length...or buy longer brass and trim it back, like Don did.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 03-17-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    I just recieved the 2009 Huntingtons catalog, and they list Norma 45 basic brass at $34.98 per 20. That's the 3 1/4" stuff. The 110 brass at 2.88" is the same price. As always, call for availability.

Now, for shooting short cases in these rifles, I'd take a wild guess and say one of the drawbacks to that practice is increased gas blow-by past the projectile. Imagine what that does to your lube before the boolit ever gets to the rifling. The boolit has that big area to wiggle around in, then it gets to slam into the lands and grooves, obturating even more and becoming quite distorted. Once it gets started down the tube, no telling what the base is like, let alone the driving bands. Once it gets out of the muzzle the boolits axis is no where near that of the bore. So, where is the accuracy potential? It's probably back there in the chamber with all that shaved off lead. You would have achieved firing the rifle, but to little or no practical effect other than the satisfying cloud of smoke and the noise. (And the recoil. Lets not forget the recoil.) I hope, in my own not so technical way, I have been of some help with this.

Kind Regards,
    Bill
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

Boolit Buddy
    What I did for my IAB was start a boolit into the case, (un powdered and un-primed) with the case opened up enough to allow the projectile to slide into the case. Slide it all the way in and close the breach. Then gentley remove the round and measure the length. Do this more than once so you are sure your gettin the same length. That is where your projectile is touching the lands. You want the bullet to be just short of touching, so adjust the length to that and load yer rounds. Ifn, the lead is hangin out a little further than usual so what? Just keep dirt out of the grease grooves and you'll be fine,..... works slick fo me anyway.
    If later you find the right brass, you will already have figgered out your OAL!
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Knarley Bob

Boolit Bub
    The guy who says shooting a 45-110 in a 45-120 will distroy the chamber doesn't know what he's talking about.......45-70's in 45-90 work and if you seat the bullet out a bit it will shoot
    just fine on paper..........the only problem will be if you mix 110's and 120s as the powder residue
    from the shorter 110's could obstruct the seating of the 120 if the fouling gets hard and crunchy.
    I have done this several times over the last 45 years of shooting black powder cartridges and
    just think about the guys in the 1870's.........they shot WHATEVER would chamber and fit down the hole...........45-70 in 45-90 on and on and I NEVER have seen or heard of such foolishness.... If you want to fill the case with Bullseye then you got a problem and the throat
    will suffer but so will the shooter................

Bill your pretty close in your guesstimation of what happens when you have cases to short. The chamber on my Italian 74 is fully .2 long. Trimming 45-90's back to 2.3 works just fine, and stops the necessary lead mining after every 10 rounds.

This has been interesting anyways. I have located and am getting some 120 brass. I figuered 110 in a 120 chamber would work but that the accuaracy would be about like my mortar. I have been wanting that gun to make some noise for awhile now and will be able to.
    Thank you all for the responce...Walt

Well keep us posted on how it works out for you Walt.
    Solme of those 120's have a pretty generous freebore, and get a bit finicky about shooting well.

When I was a Kid of 11 years old I was more or less restricted to shooting a .22 short in my Winchester single shot rifle.
    Well after a period I managed to get some .22 long rifle shells and found out in a hurry I had to use a cleaning rod getting the empty cases out.
    What happens is shooting a short in a long rifle chamber eroded the chamber at the end of the case mouth.
    With this new steel they now use it might not happen to fast, but I sure would not do it from my past experiences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast