MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tumbling media. . . Hot Tip

Look for it in the car polishes, it will be the white polish, but it should say that it has Cerium Oxide in it ( I believe that Turtle Wax also makes such a polish). Also any good lapidary shop should have access to Cerium Oxide. Also check out glass shops as the polishes that we want for polishing brass are all used on glass. The way to use Cerium Oxide is to use either rouge or chromium Oxide polish first, then use a clean medium and Cerium Oxide on the brass next ( in a cleaned tumbler bowl). If an any doubt on how to use any kind of polishes look up some information on how to polish stones or glass ( I know that sounds weird), but the principles are the same.
    God bless America

Moderator Emeritus

Resurrecting a thread here.
    I finally wore out my old tumbling media and went to a PetSmart and found the Walnut Bird Litter mentioned in this thread. IT WORKS!

Nuff sed'.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master
    So, what kinda' bird ya' got?

Choken da chicken?
    Happy Nude Year!

One capful of Nu-Finish car polish about every 5th load, and 2, 1"strips of fabric softener sheet with every load, and my brass looks like it just came our of the *--* Starline brass bag. So far media has not been a problem to acquire.

In Remembrance

Drillspot , 40 lb. 40/20 corn cob $35.95 delivered to your door. This stuff has really gone up. I bought mine for $18 a couple years ago. This is a branch of Graingers, so I bet theirs is higher now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Went to Petsmart last night to buy another ten-pound bag of "Zilla" ground walnet shells. Went to three different Petsmarts looking for them--all were out.

Finally, at the last one, a nice young lady pointed out that the 25-pound bags of bird litter were the exact same ground walnut shells as the reptile litter. Well, almost the same--they were about HALF the cost.

Like everything else, the Zilla 10-pound bag of walnut had jumped up to $14.99. I got the 25-pound of bird litter walnut shells (exact, to the T, same stuff as the Zilla) in a heavy paper bag container for $20.

Oh, and that nice young lady told me that "gun people" were buying up all the corncob cat litter and walnut bedding--but she had no idea why they would use cat litter for anything having to do with guns. She asked me if I was a gun person and I just told her that, "No, my wife and I have a lot of birds."

Anyhow, good deal on walnut media at Petsmart. $20 for 25-pounds and the stuff is excellent in your tumblers.

Well, are you a gun person??
    Never heard us referred to as gun people.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. We are part of the Gun Culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Well, are you a gun person??
    Never heard us referred to as gun people.

Shiloh

Boolit Buddy
    yep that is what I use it is all I can find here. been spreading the word on it around the range here for awhile.
    Yes my grandma wears combat boots. But remember her carry weapon is a Ruger .454

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I buy the 5qt bags of Zilla ground walnut litter at $5.48 for mine. (not sure what it weighs.... gotta be close to 10#, but it doesn't say on the bag)
    I just got a bag this week.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Red media has jeweler's rouge in it--and abrasive. Green is just regular corn cob.

I don't like that stuff getting in my dies--I stick with straight walnut. Some folks swear by it, though.

You don't think the green corncob is treated? Lyman sells both green and "untreated". The untreated is not green. Maybe the green uses green jeweler's rouge?
    Jeff