Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling media. . . Hot Tip

In Remembrance

Thumbs up Tumbling media. . . Hot Tip

Went to Petsmart last night to buy another ten-pound bag of "Zilla" ground walnet shells. Went to three different Petsmarts looking for them--all were out.

Finally, at the last one, a nice young lady pointed out that the 25-pound bags of bird litter were the exact same ground walnut shells as the reptile litter. Well, almost the same--they were about HALF the cost.

Like everything else, the Zilla 10-pound bag of walnut had jumped up to $14.99. I got the 25-pound of bird litter walnut shells (exact, to the T, same stuff as the Zilla) in a heavy paper bag container for $20.

Oh, and that nice young lady told me that "gun people" were buying up all the corncob cat litter and walnut bedding--but she had no idea why they would use cat litter for anything having to do with guns. She asked me if I was a gun person and I just told her that, "No, my wife and I have a lot of birds."

Anyhow, good deal on walnut media at Petsmart. $20 for 25-pounds and the stuff is excellent in your tumblers.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks! I've used the reptile litter for years. Didn't know about the bird litter.

I've been told there are differences between the green media and the red. Allegedly one of them polishes the brass more than the other.... is there any truth to this?
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

In Remembrance
    Red media has jeweler's rouge in it--and abrasive. Green is just regular corn cob.

I don't like that stuff getting in my dies--I stick with straight walnut. Some folks swear by it, though.

I see. Having a little abrasive could be good I think. Last time I tumbled brass I couldn't get the soot off! It was a borrowed tumbler so I don't now if the media was old, or if age even has any effect.

Anyone ever tried that polishing liquid sold by Dillon?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I see. Having a little abrasive could be good I think. Last time I tumbled brass I couldn't get the soot off! It was a borrowed tumbler so I don't now if the media was old, or if age even has any effect.

I dump a little mineral spirits in to help the media clean. It really helps cut the crud. I also put in a little of the Dillon's polish or some liquid car polish.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes Years ago. It works good.

When the Dillon ran out, I went to Iosso brand case polish, but lately have been using Nu-Finish car polish in the orange bottle from Wal-Mart. This works very well also. and is very reasonable. $6 or $7 for 16 oz. Lasts a long time.

Anything in the way of 14/20 corn cob media at the pet stores??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Glad to hear that, cause I actually already bought one

I never thought of using the other stuff, maybe I'll try it when the Dillon bottle is empty.

How does one know whether or not to use a given polish, say something for cars? Can anything you add damage the media or brass?

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for Nufinish.. Great stuff for cleaning and polishing your brass,(or your boat) Been usin it for a long time.. (for both) !!!! Try it, you'll like it...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

One more time, try Graingers Industrial Supply, 40 lb. bag of corn cob for $23.68. No shipping if you P/U.

If you order the 20/40 size it doesn't get stuck in the primer pockets.

Nu-Finish works fine as does just about any car polish. Big secret is not to use to much, one to one and a half teaspoons per tumbler full. Let it dry before using. Also the polish will add enough wax or coating of somekind to prevent tarnish.

Boolit Grand Master
    Glad to hear that, cause I actually already bought one

I never thought of using the other stuff, maybe I'll try it when the Dillon bottle is empty.

How does one know whether or not to use a given polish, say something for cars? Can anything you add damage the media or brass?
    Ammonia products will weaken the brass. Stay away from Brasso polish or polish containing ammonia.
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I use a homemade brass tumbler that utilizes handle-less one-gallon paint cans. Got the cans for free at a local paint store.

Machine has two parallel rollers covered with surgical tubing and is powered by an old washing machine motor. I can put three paint cans on it at a time and can take them off to check without stopping other cans from rolling.

I use corncob media and a little splash of acetone. It takes off the grease and soot real well, and the corncob media just soaks the stuff up. I don't add any grit or abrasive - don't want it getting into my dies, etc.

Seems to work OK and will take off all but the worst corrosion overnight. Also useful for tumble deburring of small parts using different media.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    One more time, try Graingers Industrial Supply, 40 lb. bag of corn cob for $23.68. No shipping if you P/U.

If you order the 20/40 size it doesn't get stuck in the primer pockets.

Nu-Finish works fine as does just about any car polish. Big secret is not to use to much, one to one and a half teaspoons per tumbler full. Let it dry before using. Also the polish will add enough wax or coating of somekind to prevent tarnish.
    Thanks!!

This is good to know. Does the 20/40 plug the flash holes?? I have to punch out whatever grit that I have now. That is, when I tumble the deprimed cases to get the case lube off.

There is a Grainger right here in town. If I pick it up, there is no shipping. Even if they have to get it from a different location.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Master
    I use walnut with three caps full of mineral spirits and a tablespoon full of Bon Ami. It works very well on black powder fouled cases. The Bon Ami is used to clean and polish glass and will not injure your dies.

Jerry Liles

By now this thread contains a lot of good alternative methods for polishing brass and sources for getting media cheap. Maybe this thread deserves to get sticky'ed?

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Another tip for vibratory tumblers, put in a USED dryer anti-static sheet when your walnut media starts getting dusty and grungy and the sheet will grab onto the dust and grunge so you can easily remove it when the brass is done cleaning.

Boolit Master
    Well if it does

walnut for cleaning dirty brass

corncob for polishing brass.....

Yes car polish is cheaper and more available than most case cleaner stuff.
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy
    I use the walnut bedding with about an ounce of mineral spirits.

I have the big Lyman 3200 Auto-Flo. Holds about 7 lbs of Media.

I used the neoprene window gasket stuff to seal the edge of the lid so my mineral spirits doesn't evaporate. Brass comes out shinier than it did when I used corncob.

The mineral spirits does a good job on the inside of the cases too.

The fineness of the grind in the walnut bedding also does an excellent job of cleaning the primer pockets.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
    -James Madison, 3rd Congress 1794

"The 9mm may properly expand, but the 45 will never shrink"

Boolit Master
    I found extra fine walnut blasting grit at Harbor Freight for $25 for 25 lbs. It is very fine and does not get caught in flash holes. I have been using either Midways case polish or Dillon, both work very well. I am going to try Nu Finish as thats what I have used on my old car for years.

G

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I put jewelers rouge in a tumbler of walnut media. Big mistake. I had to use a rag and wipe the rouge off each case and the inside of the tumbler. It also ruined the walnut media. At that time it cost me fourteen bucks for a small bag. There were no Pet Smart stores at that time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast