MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in top punch making (Long)

Moderator Emeritus
    Wilbird,

I read the page at the link but still don't know how to use it! Can you provide some more information? The picture didn't help much.

John

Now I have to learn to measure and read blueprints too?
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Perma - Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    Steady lad, breath deep, it'll be okay. Now, this is a rule... no!, no! it doesn't go in your nose!....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    One of many rules to live by.

"Everything is easy, when you know how!"

See what the public library has to offer. Ask around if you know any school teachers, see if you can borrow a shop text. The one I recommend most is called Technology of Machine Tools, by Krar. New, it runs about $75 or so. Buy used! Lots of great info therein.
    I found this on the internet....definitely buy used if new runs $75.00

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...sts=t&x=16&y=9

Mike
    Qui tacet consentire videtur

Retired Navy (1966-2004)
    NRA Life member (1994)
    CRPA member
    SBR&GC member

Boolit Buddy
    Enco has some very good books on machine set-up and operation, and at good prices. I still have my copy of "How to run a Lathe" from South Bend Lathe. It was printed in 1944 and is gradually coming apart. Re-prints are available for $8 to $10. My 9"x 36" South Bend was shipped from the factory in Sept. 1946, and is still going strong. By the way, for those who are not already machinists, it is ADDICTIVE! Almost as bad as reloading.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Wilbird,

I read the page at the link but still don't know how to use it! Can you provide some more information? The picture didn't help much.

John
    ..............The work clamped in the 4 jaw has a punch mark that needs centering up so it can be drilled. The pump center allows a bit of rotary motion. Plus the design shown in the link has a spring to 'load' the point into the punchmark. You can rotate the chuck by hand to watch the rod move and correct with the chuck jaws, until movement is barely perceptable.

At that point you can then set your test indicator on the rod to dial out the last thousandth, or fractions of a thousandth. The spring loaded feature also protects the unit from off axis runout if the piece isn't perpendicular to the spindle's axis.

Off the subject but related, if the face of the work is supposed to be flat and perpendicular, put a brass rod in the toolpost with a dab of grease on the end (the end should be rounded). Then slowly move it up to bear on the face of the spinning work, and it will soon be running true. The chuck jaws should be snug but not tight.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I'm needing a 4jaw for my craftsman if your interested in getting rid of one.

Boolit Master
    I'm of the opinion that machinists, like singers, are born to it. I have a brother who could literally build a whole rifle from scratch if he felt like it. While I couldn't make a square piece of stock round if I had the best lathe ever built. I out shine him when it comes to electronics however, so I guess we all get something.

Perma - Banned

Quote Originally Posted by qajaq59 View Post
    I'm of the opinion that machinists, like singers, are born to it. I have a brother who could literally build a whole rifle from scratch if he felt like it. While I couldn't make a square piece of stock round if I had the best lathe ever built. I out shine him when it comes to electronics however, so I guess we all get something.
    Lotta truth in that qajaq- I can weld, hammer or otherwise mutilate metal and wood into most anything I want, but when it comes to anything beyond simple wiring or soldering wires together I get lost real easy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    I'll start you with an easy one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top Punch.JPG  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    I'll start you with an easy one.
    How did you know what I was looking for! I was going to ask if there were drawings of top punches anywhere.

I am assuming that this formula will work for all of the sizing dies with the end configuration changed based on boolit nose type.
    1018 is the type of steel?

I am glad I am not married for you all are steering me down a dark path.

1018 is a common mild steel that is also called "cold roll". It usually has a green paint mark on the end to identify it. You can get it in 3 foot lengths at Home Depot or many hardware stores. If you see stuff with a red mark on the end, that is probably "drill rod" (W-1 or O-1) & is not so easy to cut. Stay away from that for now. 12L14 (leadloy, usually with a brown paint mark) is really nice to work with, but rusts easier than cold roll & is a little harder to find. McMaster should have it though. Metal Supermarket may also have it (at a high price). Most steel yards can get it, but usually want you to by it in 20 foot lengths.

That is a simplified drawing for a basic blank that I make. I usually also put an undercut in the shank so that the retaining setscrew doesn't mess up the contact surface. The undercut is centered 1/4" left of the big shoulder.

I usually just take a blank like that, turn it upside down, fill it half way with epoxy, then insert a greased boolit into the epoxy to get an exact nose profile in the top punch. Hot glue also works in place of the epoxy.

I just did that drawing up quickly about a year or so ago. It's based on measuring 1 commercial top punch. The .127" dimension is probably actually 1/8" +/- some small amount on the real commercial drawings. This drawing has worked fine for me whenever I have used it, so I never bothered to update it.

Regards,
    Jim
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    1018 is a common mild steel that is also called "cold roll". It usually has a green paint mark on the end to identify it. You can get it in 3 foot lengths at Home Depot or many hardware stores. If you see stuff with a red mark on the end, that is probably "drill rod" (W-1 or O-1) & is not so easy to cut. Stay away from that for now. 12L14 (leadloy, usually with a brown paint mark) is really nice to work with, but rusts easier than cold roll & is a little harder to find. McMaster should have it though. Metal Supermarket may also have it (at a high price). Most steel yards can get it, but usually want you to by it in 20 foot lengths.

That is a simplified drawing for a basic blank that I make. I usually also put an undercut in the shank so that the retaining setscrew doesn't mess up the contact surface. The undercut is centered 1/4" left of the big shoulder.

I usually just take a blank like that, turn it upside down, fill it half way with epoxy, then insert a greased boolit into the epoxy to get an exact nose profile in the top punch. Hot glue also works in place of the epoxy.

I just did that drawing up quickly about a year or so ago. It's based on measuring 1 commercial top punch. The .127" dimension is probably actually 1/8" +/- some small amount on the real commercial drawings. This drawing has worked fine for me whenever I have used it, so I never bothered to update it.

Regards,
    Jim
    I thank you sir!
    I need a job to rest from my hobbies!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Please note that every steel mfg uses their own color codes .

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    Please note that every steel mfg uses their own color codes .

Bill
    ..............Truth I just got 6 sticks of .750" W-1 for die bodies and each one had an end painted blue and then red over that Some of the red had flaked off showing the blue.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Amazed

I don't care what you ask. Someone in here will know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............Truth I just got 6 sticks of .750" W-1 for die bodies and each one had an end painted blue and then red over that Some of the red had flaked off showing the blue.

..............Buckshot
    After the top punch I can't imagine a die.

Perma - Banned

A die is just a cylindrical hunka steel with some holes in it. When you think of it that way it's not so bad.

Boolit Master
    >>>A die is just a cylindrical hunka steel with some holes in it. When you think of it that way it's not so bad. <<<<

Yep, and Michaelangelo's "David" sculpture is just a hunk of marble with a few chunks knocked out of it....

!!!!

lathesmith

L.S. Much as I'd like to think that I could ever qualify for the "Artiste" title, I can't make the leap from a die to M's "David." (Not to say also that there aren't much scarier thangs to cut out than dies) OT, just stay with it, it'll happen.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast