Reloading EverythingLoad DataPBcastcoInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Adventures in top punch making (Long)

Boolit Master
    being a novice hobbyist machinist i have collected several good books inc machine shop training course, two volumes, and machine shop practice, also 2 volumes. I just went to amazon to see about getting the machine tool practices book you reccomend. the latest 2006 printing is $154-- wow. found a 1994 edition on ebay $18 to the door. thanks for reccomending new book hopefully it will help me to make better looking chips

I used to be a machinist back in the day. A couple of photos of some things I made, some for fun (crankshaft) and others were some parts I made for customers.

By the way I have some drawings of a bullet sizing die and top punch for the Lyman 450 sizer-lube if anyone needs a copy.
    Last edited by Ole Joe Clarke; 05-09-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    By the way I have some drawings of a bullet sizing die and top punch for the Lyman 450 sizer-lube if anyone needs a copy.
    Yes please, they would be a nice addition to this thread.

I apologize for the quality of the drawings.
    The first is a "G" top punch sketch. It's pretty simple, material can be any cold rolled steel (CRS), or even brass. I always like C11L17 CRS because it contained lead and machines really well. C1018 is usually a stringy mess.

The second sketch is an incomplete drawing of a "H" sizing die. I made only one, for .41 magnum, and it worked really well. Material was D-2 tool steel, I think D-2 is a oil quench steel. The lube holes are 1/8"-3/16" diameter. The inside diameter is not given because it varies with each bullet size you want. I did all the outside work, drilled the holes and left the inside diameter about .002 undersize. I then heat treated it before finishing the I.D. I then took a piece of drill rod, (item "I") turned and polished it to about .409 dia., and cut it to length. (Remember I am depending on really old memories). I then honed the I.D. of the "H" die to just a tight slip fit on the .409 dia pin. Worked like a charm. If you have questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Last edited by Ole Joe Clarke; 05-10-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks for posting Ole Joe, very useful information. ✔

Thanks joe

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678