Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 45-70 BFR 7.5" accuracy loads

Boolit Buddy

45-70 BFR 7.5" accuracy loads

Trying to work a load for my 45-70 BFR 7.5" barrel.
    I was told that SR-4759 is the powder of choice but its all gone.. I was thinking Blue Dot or RL#7 would be worth a try.

I've shot 4198, 2400 so far and accuracy was poor.

Shot 20.gr blue dot with 300 cast and had 1/2 group at 25yds 1265 fps.. looking for Vel of 1450 fps with 300 gr...

looking at a 405 gr load with BD at 1250 fps velocity.. can you go to 25.0gr Blue dot with 405 gr and safely?

Goal is a 405gr cast or JSP bullet around 1250 FPS with 1.5 group at 50 yds...

Anyone have any ideas..
    thanks,
    Mcal

I would wait for 44Man to chime in.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

Hard to say since 4759 was the best. I got stocked heavy with the powder. Try Varget.
    The 300 gr needs 1632 fps plus. The gun does not like slow.
    i never used BD, don't have any. 4198 sucked. but it worked with the 300 gr jacketed. It worked different between jacketed and cast.

Boolit Buddy
    ok I'll look at bumping of the velocity on some of these rounds. I tried some Sierra 300 gr JHP with 4198 but no luck either. also Remington 300 JHP with 30.0 gr 2400 with no luck.. Just picked up a can of RL7 so might try a load with that.. saw a post with 35.5 gr with a 405 gr as the sweet spot on that powder just need to load some and give it a try....
    Last edited by mcal762; 07-10-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Right now I am using 3031 with a 350grn slug in mine. Accuracy seems pretty good but I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet to say for sure if I can get 1" at 50 yards with it. Are you shooting open sights or scoped? For me 3031 doesn't seem to all burn which is OK but seems wasteful so I was thinking about trying some 4227 with COW filler or SR-4759.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Buddy
    I'm have a Leupold 2x EER scope on it.. shooting off a solid rest, only the lower frame is touching the rest. I tried IMR 4895 and 4198 with unburned power issue also. the 2400 and blue dot did not have that problem.. So far the blue dot produced the best group at 25 yds 1/2 group but that is really close..

I hope to get a solid 1" group at 50 yds and call it good with either a 405 gr at 1250 fps or a 300 gr at 1450 fps or faster...

Boolit Master
    I have great luck with AA5744 in my rifles. it may be a good powder for the BFR shorter barreled gun. It is used for many larger capacity handgun calibers and heavier bullets.

I do not think you need any fillers at all. But did you check the bullets in the throats to make sure you are sized correctly?

BFR at least the ones I have owned have been tack drivers I am working with the 30-30 now and it is really something great if the shooter is up to the task. I have heard good reports about the 45-70 as well.

I'd only be using filler if I try 4227. I've used it before in 45-70 rifles and it has a ton of air space and it affected accuracy a ton without the filler. I don't have a scope on mine. I can post results of various things I try as I try them back to this thread until I can consistently get 1" or smaller groups at 50 yards with it. Should be fun getting it dialed in.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the Dacron filler in the 2400 and blue dot loads because of the large air space, not sure if it really makes much difference plus it only takes a couple seconds to add it. I guess its worth the effort. there a tons of post on to use filler and not to use filler.. hard to say...

I hope to have some time to tinker with some loads for the BFR this weekend.. I'm really interested in working up the blue dot loads with the 405 gr load using a pistol primer to light it off...

Kinda have to change your mindset on these 45-70 loads because its not for a "Rifle" its for a revolver... so the faster burning powder is a must to make it work right.... I saw a big change in the groups when I used the blue dot... still looking for the sweet spot on the 2400... 30 gr of 2400 and a 300 gr bullet is pretty good load but accuracy is not where it needs to be....

Banned

The 7-1/2" is going to be harder then my 10", the way it is. 3031 did not all burn but it was decent for accuracy. 4198 shot jacketed good but gave me pressure and velocity excursions with cast so I dropped it. 5744 was not that good.
    I have an Ultra Dot on all my guns for deer.
    4759 is still best and I don't know what you fellas do for it.
    I knew what I was getting into so it took me a month of research before I touched the gun off. Large cases just puts a crimp in short guns. 2400 and Unique were a waste of time.
    Even when I had my 10" 30-30 TC, 4759 was IT and I could shoot pennies at 100 with a scope.
    Darn, to find revolver loads is not to be found. I was on my own.
    Varget is a crazy powder, it works in the 7BR and 7R pistols. As slow as it is, it burns great and clean.
    I just do not know what to do for short barrels and the loss of a great powder. Even 10" was a great challenge.
    4227's are close to 4759 but they will not come close to the accuracy.
    Maybe if enough called Hodgdon, they will reconsider.

Boolit Buddy
    The Gun Shop in Idaho Falls had eight 1lb cans of 4759 on the shelf yesterday.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
    The Gun Shop in Idaho Falls had eight 1lb cans of 4759 on the shelf yesterday.
    darn, did you grab any?

Boolit Buddy
    I've check everywhere local in the tidewater VA area with no luck on the 4759.... its been almost 2 1/2 years since I even seen powder on the shelves.... so it was nice just to see a few cans of powder in the store...

Banned

It comes down to the number of gun owners and the fear of the Gov't. Production can't keep up.
    Now I see Hillary is going after guns so I hope every gun owner shows her what end to stick her head in.

Boolit Buddy
    Today's range report:

405 gr Cast over 22gr Blue Dot ( no Dacron )
    cci 300 1278 fps ***** 1"@25 yds.

300gr Hornady jhp 22.0 gr blue dot ( no Dacron) cci 300*** 1/4" group @25 yds
    1164 fps

not sure why the lighter bullet had the lower velocity, the cast 300 gr with 20gr of blue dot was at 1265fps.

Banned

My best boolit is 317 gr and runs at 1632 fps. I shoot about a dozen different boolits but never chronographed many at all but the Hornady just might have more friction. It is a great bullet, I used it on a buck once since my hard cast were just poking holes and I had no time to make soft noses. The deer was on the run at about 50-55 yards in the brush. I found an opening ahead of him and the bullet did a job on him. Amazing how fast the red dot can be used.
    The monster BFR is almost a rifle but I found an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster, tender super 14 for a scope. I called them and they told me they do not make a holster for BFRs but it fits perfect.
    I also put a sling stud on the butts of all my revolvers and with a 6' utility sling, the grip is at my hand when stalking. Keeps me from dropping a gun if I snooze on stand.
    It sounds like you are getting there so now see what it does at 50.
    I need more powders but had new leaf Guard gutters put up since cleaning them 10X a year was just enough of that junk, then new tires for my 4 Runner, One went dead flat from dry rot, every two days. I sort of broke the bank. I still need a timing belt change.
    Now would you believe Carol is griping about leaves washing onto the deck so she has to sweep more? We old goats just can't win!
    I sure wish I could help work loads.

Boolit Master
    Pistol Packaging makes some real nice Bandito holsters for big revolvers and they are well made and comfortable. I have really good success and frankly guns like different powder it is also available so if all else fails try it if you buy only a 1 lb not such ph waste if it does not workout.

http://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandi...Belt_p/bsb.htm

Banned

Darn those are nice and a very decent price too.

Boolit Master
    I like them buy belt and you can just but the holsters for the different guns.

Banned

Just super. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast