RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: 30 Mauser Load Data

Boolit Buddy

30 Mauser Load Data

Trying to load for a Broomhandle Mauser in .30 Mauser using a Lee 100gn cast bullet. Cant find load data available for this combination anywhere. I did find some using jacketed 100 grainers, but this is with AA powders. Due to the current situation with components, I'm limited to powders I currently have on hand: Unique, Bullseye, 231, Titegroup, Red Dot and a few others, but no AA powders on hand.
    Just looking for nice plinker loads....no hotrod performance needed. Let me know what has worked for you, please.
    Andy

Boolit Master
    I load for several 30 cal brooms, 4 grains of Bullseye should get you off and running. Slug your bore as some of these old brooms are wider than .308
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Banned
    The old Lyman book lists 4.2 to 5.0 grains of Bullseye and 5.2 to 6.8 grains of Unique...with the 84 gr bullet. I load for my 7.62x25 Tokarev (same as the 30 Mauser dimension wise) and use about 5.0 grains of Unique. I use 4.0 to 4.5 grains of Unique in my 30 Luger with the same bullet...the Lee 100 gr round nose.

Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, guys.
    These bullets are sized at .311 and lubed with SPG. Think I'll start with the 4.0gn Bullseye and work up from there, as I am low on Unique, and hate to load up what I have until I'm assured of a new supply.
    Starmetal, are you loading the 100gn in the 7.62x25 also?
    Andy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmall 1066 View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    These bullets are sized at .311 and lubed with SPG. Think I'll start with the 4.0gn Bullseye and work up from there, as I am low on Unique, and hate to load up what I have until I'm assured of a new supply.
    Starmetal, are you loading the 100gn in the 7.62x25 also?
    Andy
    Yes, also loading it in my 30 Lugers too.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Dittoes to Joe's texts. I'm gentle with the old Broomer, and 5.0 grains of Unique with the Lee 100 RN works very well. Starline brass is EXCELLENT in this caliber, best of breed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    Go to this webpage at Lees: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...ies-crimp.html

Go to the bottle where it says bottleneck pistol cartridge crimp die. I have one of these and it's worth it's weight in gold. There isn't much a neck on the 30 Mauser, 30 Luger, or 7.62x25 Tokarev and this die give the neck a good purchase on the bullet. You can buy it from Midway, Grafs, etc.. don't have to buy it from Lee. You'll get it cheaper.

Joe

Boolit Master
    I will have to check out one of those dies, thanks!
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I learned a few things loading this round so far.....4.5gn makes it cycle reliably, every time, no leading, and accuracy was acceptable. The SPG lube is too soft and got all over cases and made a slimy mess of things, a harder lube, or not lubing the top groove may be in order. Collapsed a few case shoulders getting the crimp set where I wanted it. The Lee die really sized the case necks down, .297" is about what I came up with for an average, should have pulled s few bullets to check for seating damage. They all went bang, and almost all of them hit my 10" 50yd gong! This thing slings brass into the next county! I'd hoped downloading it might help that some.
    Thanks,
    Andy

Forgive me for reopening an old thread.... some good point are posted here..

In my case, I plan to start with 4.0 grains of Titegroup and 90 grain .310 bullet , Starline Brass
    In my 7.63 Bolo , looking for about 1200fps

Boolit Bub
    Here's something I learned about Starline brass last week. Brownell's had .30 Mauser on sale so I picked up a couple bags for my Tok's. The .30 M brass is .020" longer than their 7.62x25, and is the same length as PPU 7.62x25. IMO these little bottleneck brass need all the help they can get. Wish I'd known that before I bought the Starline 7.62x25.

Boolit Master
    I am very careful with new loads in the wife's C96. I make up a ladder of 5 or 10 rounds increasing by .1gn up to max book load. I fire until I get a good cycle on the pistol, then go up 0.1gn. Load 10 and test for function. If they all cycle that's what I stick with. No reason to abuse a >100yr old pistol.