Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Wanted: Diagram/pictures of Trapdoor single set trigger

In Remembrance

Wanted: Diagram/pictures of Trapdoor single set trigger

I just posted this in the Special Projects section but think it would be appropriate for this forum thread. I am looking for drawings/diagrams of the Springfield Trapdoor Officer's Sporter single set triggers. I would like to make a set of triggers for my Sporter model that I am building. I know that Navy Arms and Pedersoli make a single set trigger for this model but they are quite expensive and hard to get. I would appreciate any help available. Thanks. Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have any drawings or pictures to help with, but would suggest asking over on the Doubleguns Journal forum first, and the ASSRA forum, second.

See if you can find the Frank DeHaas books, in the Mr Single Shot's series. Chances are really good that he has covered it, and if not, there are a pile of decent drawings of various set trigger mechanisms that may work, or at least provide ideas.

Check your local public library first! Some booksellers think they got the original copy of the bible, autographed by the big guy hisself, when they are listing the DeHaas books!
    If the library system does not have any copies, hit up the nice lady (probably) or guy, at the information desk, and ask about interlibrary loans. Essentially, they put out a request, and other library systems send the books. Generally, you get them for a couple weeks to a month. Lot's of time to peruse the volume, and make a copy of useful info for academic purposes.

Cheers
    Trev

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    The lock is essentially a percussion lock. Look at fullsize Track of the Wolf pictures of their set triggers. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    The lock is essentially a percussion lock. Look at fullsize Track of the Wolf pictures of their set triggers. BvT
    For one of my trapdoors I used a set trigger purchased from The Log Cabin Shop.

http://www.logcabinshop.com/index-2.html

Go to custom rifle and pistol parts, look under triggers. There amy be something you can use.

Good luck and post photos when you get it done.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

In Remembrance

Trapdoor set trigger

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    For one of my trapdoors I used a set trigger purchased from The Log Cabin Shop.

http://www.logcabinshop.com/index-2.html

Go to custom rifle and pistol parts, look under triggers. There amy be something you can use.

Good luck and post photos when you get it done.
    Did you use a fly in the tumbler or were you able to use the trigger without one? I have a Cain single trigger, but don't want to use that as the trigger snaps away when fired. Double triggers won't fit as I have a pistol grip sporter stock. Thanks for all the suggestions; I do have Track of the Wolf and Dixie catalogs.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    I do not recall fitting a fly so would have to say I did not use one. Having said that, I have cut tumblers to accept flies with a good file so it can be done, easier if you have a milling machine of course.

Who made your stock? Not commonly found with a pistol grip!

In Remembrance
    Treebone Carving did my sporter stock.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Mold

Trapdoor set trigger

I recently purchased a single set trigger kit from the Rifle Shoppe. I received the rough castings with an invoice but nothing else. No instructions, screws or anything. Trying to get them to answer questions I sent via email has been fruitless. I am going to call them next week to see if they will answer any of my question on the product they sold me. I believe I will keep the kit and think I can make it work. ANYONE out there have experience with the Trapdoor set trigger kit they sell?

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    I don't have any drawings or pictures to help with, but would suggest asking over on the Doubleguns Journal forum first, and the ASSRA forum, second.

See if you can find the Frank DeHaas books, in the Mr Single Shot's series. Chances are really good that he has covered it, and if not, there are a pile of decent drawings of various set trigger mechanisms that may work, or at least provide ideas.

Check your local public library first! Some booksellers think they got the original copy of the bible, autographed by the big guy hisself, when they are listing the DeHaas books!
    If the library system does not have any copies, hit up the nice lady (probably) or guy, at the information desk, and ask about interlibrary loans. Essentially, they put out a request, and other library systems send the books. Generally, you get them for a couple weeks to a month. Lot's of time to peruse the volume, and make a copy of useful info for academic purposes.

Cheers
    Trev
    It's been a couple of years since I bought barrels from his son Mark DeHaas, but I bought all of my books from him. Assuming he's still in good health I;m sure he still has some to sell.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    ....See if you can find the Frank DeHaas books, in the Mr Single Shot's series. Chances are really good that he has covered it, and if not, there are a pile of decent drawings of various set trigger mechanisms that may work, or at least provide ideas.. Cheers
    Trev
    I do have 3 of the DeHaas books and there is nothing specifically for the Trapdoor in them. Like you said, may be able to use the drawings to make a workable trigger. Thanks all for the suggestions.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Mold

Set Trigger - Trapdoor

Today I finally finished the trigger kit I bought from the Rifle Shoppe. It looks good and seems to function as it should. Here is a picture of all the finished parts before the final heat treating and blueing and assembly. It is finsihed and if any one is interested I will post pictures of the finished (heat treated, blued, assembled) triggerassembly. I did not keep records but estimate I spent about 30-40 hours on it in spare time.

Boolit Master
    The completed kit looks good. Finished pictures would be nice to see also.

Boolit Mold

set trigger -trapdoor

Sorry but I am new to this forum and not familar with posting to it. The picture have been added but you must click on the original, unassembled photo and then they come up.

Boolit Buddy

The Rifle Shop set trigger

44-40,
    Have you tried your set trigger yet and if so how well does it function?
    I have a Springfield trapdoor that has been made into a copy of the officers model that I need the set trigger to finish the project.
    I've talked to The Rifle Shop about this trigger but I havent the skills to finish it myself.
    Since you have done one would you consider doing another?
    If you're interested or want to communicate with me on this subject please email me at jrlee45@yahoo.com
    Thank you, Jack Lee

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kcajeel View Post
    44-40,
    Have you tried your set trigger yet and if so how well does it function?
    I have a Springfield trapdoor that has been made into a copy of the officers model that I need the set trigger to finish the project.
    I've talked to The Rifle Shop about this trigger but I havent the skills to finish it myself.
    Since you have done one would you consider doing another?
    If you're interested or want to communicate with me on this subject please email me at jrlee45@yahoo.com
    Thank you, Jack Lee
    ++++++++

If you mean have I installed it and tried it out in the rifle the answer is no. I was originally thinking of using it in my next project but now have second thoughts as I am planning to install a double set trigger in it. Presently I am working on installing a tumbler, with a fly in it, in one of my locks. I should have that finished this weekend. This lock will be used in the new project rifle so I will not have a lock with a fly in the tumble for my carbine until I modify another lock. I bought the tumbler, fly, stirrp and screw from VTI Gunparts. Those 4 parts cost more that a $100 and it turns out that although the dimensions seem identical to the Original Springfield the tumble is about .005 thicker than the original tumbler so it binds when the bridle is tightened down. - Nothing comes easy.

Just for the heck of it I may install the modified lock and set trigger in my carbine just to see how it works - but then again I would have to modify the mortise on my 1884 Trapdoor to accept the 1873 set trigger assembly. I am confident it will work as expected - Some other day!.

No, I would not be interested in doing another in the near future. As I mentioned in one of the posts it took me between 30 - 40 hours in my spare time over about a two month period. There is a lot more to it than simply fitting and polishing parts. The tang screw in the one picture I made from a piece of 3/8" O1 drill rod on my little Sherline mini lathe. I would say it took about 2 hours to make the screw and threaded it to 12-24 threads as I tapped the hole to the same 12-24. The I had to harden and temper the screw and finally blue it. The original threading is no longer available and you cannot tap the hole with a modern thread that the original tang screw will thread into it. I destroyed a 12-24 die trying to rethread an original tang screw. The trigger screw is a sholdered 6-48 screw that I had to make and drill & tap the hole to the same. If I had that to do over I would simply have drilled the hole and used a roll pin instead of a screw. The threads on the trigger bow I had to clean up with a small 3-corner file. Then I discovered that the rear post on the trigger bow needed to be cut down and threaded farther. As it turns out the trigger bow nuts will screw onto a 12-24 thread. I then had to buy an end mill to cut the hole deeper where the rear post of the trigger bow enters because even with it being shortened the nut was hitting the main spring for the trigger. The spring that holds the catch for the kick off plate for the trigger I made from a flat clock spring that I bought from eBay.

I work Monday thru Friday. Leave for work at 07:20 and get home approximately 6:00 PM - so I don't have much spare time and I am staring to build a Trapdoor sporter model. I have the barrel and two locks to choose from and I will install a double set trigger in it. Within the next week I will start on a pistol grip stock for it. I don't want a straight stock like I have on my Trapdoor carbine - I want a little more class to it. The new stock will be a real pain in the butt. I have built from scratch stocks for a flintlock and percussion pistol and one for a half stock flintlock rifle and it is time consuming. The trap door barrel is tapered and that will require even more time and patience to do it right. I did contact, email and telephone, George Petersen of TREEBONE CARVING and he quoted me $360.00 for a plain walnut stock inletted for the barrel and lock only. But it seems he does not keep stocks on hand and will not cut a one-off for that price. He said that he accepts credit card information for an order and when he gets 6 orders he will run the stocks. He said it could take more than 2 months before he would receive the 6 orders to run. I would have been willing to pay the $360.00 for a 90% inletted sporter stock just to save myslef a lot of time but find the possibility of waiting 2 -6 months unacceptable. I have a piece of Black Walnut and will make my own stock and I should be finished with it in about 2 months.

I suggest: If you want to keep your rifle looking as close to original as possible - bite the bullet and order the set trigger from VIT Gun Parts. I don't remember the cost but it is around $350.00 - then hope the trigger plate is the same as the original Springfield ( I have a trigger assemble from a H&R trapdoor and the plate is about 1/8" longer and the screw holes are off a little); If you don't mind the non original look install an aftermarket set trigger but it could be hard to work a single set trigger into the trigger plate - but it can be done!.

You could have problems with the set trigger unless you have a fly in the tumbler. I installed a set trigger in my flintlock rifle and it worked fine for about 15 years, then the hammer started hanging up on the half-cock. I made a new lock for it using a fly and all is well again. I like double set triggers.

I have no problem with sharing what little experience I have and my opinion on such matters but I have no time to work on parts and such for others.

You can contact me at gpatkins@gmail.com directly if you have questions. Sometimes I don't check that email address daily though.

phil