PBcastcoRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Gates Extreme Meplat Bullets

Quite frankly, I would like to see actual tests of the other mentioned bullet designs at a public tests like at the Linebaugh Seminar...shot by Todd Corder.
    As many know, I have subminted these designs free that we have spent time, money, and testing on.
    Suggestions of other designs are fine, but I want to see the actual results before I change to another design.
    I am not being hard-headed, but cost of molds etc do count. The question remains as the whether these other designs do prove worthwhile to give added performance. There are many exotic designs out there that have not been proven to add anything but cost in the molds.
    I will contiune to post designs that we have developed....free to members of Cast Boolits indeed! I really do not know of anything else to add to what has been posted?
    Regards James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Boolit Master
    thank for your efforts James

I may not be the best person to answer some of these post about exotic bullet designs. I am involved in the production of ammo in a small private (family) owned
    company...and have to look at production cost, quality, and market.
    Many that do load ammo for a hobby, can (and will) spend money that I would not.
    I am also very pragmatic when it comes to bullet performance. If the truth was known...there is very little one can do to present bullet designs that would make for better performance (on game)...within the designed ranges the bullet was design for!
    There always will be Ko-Ko designs for sale! I have seen hundreds over the past 50 years.
    Any design that is different must be able to prove, beyond a shadoew of a doubt, that it improves bullet potential! This comes for plenty of testing!
    Now..that does not mean there might be some small thing done that has been overlooked!.....however it is not magic!
    The next improvement will come in cast bullets!....but long range accuray is not the answer for those that produce loaded ammo.....the overall market is satisfied with products out there now...although some like Lehigh Bullets are costly indeed!
    The people here on Cast Boolits are trying all matter of designs...and equipment indeed!
    I say again....look for improvemant in bullet performance on game!....Regards, James

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, James!
    All who contribute to this site are truly dedicated to the cause of improved boolit performance.
    It is refereshing to come to a website, and gleen pure experiences of folks who have "been there and done that", without a bunch of superficial advertisement and BS. Thanks to all!

You are quite correct that this is the best, of the best, when it comes to factual information indeed! Of course the members here have different designs they look for! I started playing around with cast handgun bullets as early as 1956......some were popular, but not the best game bullets. Over the years many have added to what we now know about cast bullets. I have always like handgun game bullet designs and have tried many. Still, I designed into my cast bullets my needs. That boils down to bullet designs for game (deer/hogs) and within the normal hunting yardage for handguns in heavy cover. Some may say that my designs are not accurate over 100yards.....I can not even see that distance where we use designs in handgun bullets! Outsideof the group here.....we see lots of critics, who have never design anything and deal with speculation indeed..or what they read in some Rag. Here on Cast Boolits you find people that know what they are talking about!
    There are only two (this is one) that I even spend time on! I have a limited amout of time from making ammo for sale at Dixie Slugs.....and want to spend that time with people I can learn concept from!
    Regards, James

Boolit Grand Master
    James
    I find what you have said to fit my hunting
    situation to a "T"
    I am a believer as well in big large mepalts
    most of my handgun boolits are designed that way
    I am getting into full bore shotgun slugs as well
    I have a custom mold on the way weighing in at 770 gr
    if you can share any tips or point me in the direction
    I need to be going I would appreciate your help
    BTW I do have 4 boxes of you slugs in my stock
    I personally would like to thank you for you work
    David White Eagle
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

First, you must tell me the design of your slug....for rifled barrels?....for smothbore barrels? for both? It would also help if I knew the as-cast diameter.
    Of course, I will help all I can.....James

Boolit Grand Master
    sorry James
    the design is a solid base slug ....three driving bands and a truncated cone shape with
    a .375 meplat I plan to modify the mold for a hp
    as cast dia is .735 I am .003-.004 over bore dia
    coming out of a rifled ultra slug hunter
    I plan on casting with 50/50 or str8 w/w
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Interesting! You must be planning for a rifled bore. I might add that most of the rifled barrels we checked came out at .727"/.728" in the grooves. That is why we hold to 730" for our Terminator and IXL-DGS. If you plan on roll crimping, watch the depth of the trumcated nose....as it makes for real problems if it is very deep.....James

Boolit Grand Master
    James
    my barrel slugged out @.7315 that is why I went with .735
    btw I switched the dim.to .733
    I will be waiting for the mold anxiously
    If you could send me a pm with the powders I should consider
    I will be very appreciative
    I am starting out with 2.75 hulls
    but may go to 3.000"
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Perfect choice on bullet diameter indeed! A good rule of thumb when dealing with 12 bore and hard cast slusgs......is to have the bullset diameter no more than .003" more than groove diameter.....ergo a .730' bullet for a .727" groove diameter (Hastings).
    Now.....I would suggest the 3" hull more that the 2 3/4" hull for the following reasons:
    (1) Most work has been done with the 12 bore 3" hull as far as powders, etc.
    (2) The 12 bore 3" hulls allows a better filler wad base for crimp index
    (3) The 12 bore 3" hulls allows the use of slow burn bulky powdrs.
    (4) The 12 bore hull allows the bullet to be close to the forcing cone/barrel leades
    Use at least 1/2" of hard filler wads, plus a good powder seal like BPI X12X. You may want to consider using, in the wad stack, a Circle Fly .250" (1/4") hard nitro card!
    A good place to start is with Alliant Blue Dot powder. Weigh the bullet and find a shot load within 11,500,12,000 psi. Hold your velocity to 1,200 '/"to 1,300'/" for best control of recoil. Another powder to consider is Primex 516 (LiL'Gun). Stay away from Longshot as it has a tendency to pressure peak. Use straight wall hulls!
    We have drifted away from the discussion of bullet designs, but these are important suggestions for designing slug loads......James

Mr Dixie, I am also interested in what you have to say about 12ga loadings. As I cannot buy from the US, I am forced to handload.

I will pm you my questions.

and thank you in advance for your work in this field. You break ground for the next generation.

Of Course, I will help all I can! I have noticed that over the past five years there has been a increased interest in shotguns indeed. There are more reloaders working on specialized loads for shotguns. There always have been loaders of shot, but we see more interest in ball loads and multi-ball loads like Tri-Ball.
    This is a healthy trend indeed, but there is little good information out there.
    Regards, James

Interesting indeed! However, we keep going back to longer ranges. The EM bullets I designed are for reasonable handgun ranges in heavy cover. These bullets have not been designed for long range and have not been tested at over 100yards. We saw no in-accuracy in hadguns or rifles within those ranges.
    Regards, James

Well Friends, The Dixie Crowd is back and we are planning to crank up production in the first week of Dec.!
    Looking at the reults of our hunts on Florida Coastal Islands, I am more convienced (sp?) than ever that the most important factor in cast bullt design is the size of the meplat....no mater what the velocity and weight is!
    We also shot a prototype extreme meplat .452" bullet weighing about 210/230 grs at a muzzle velocity in the high 900's muzle velocity in the revolvers.. There was a great deal of tissue damage and complete penetration within 75 yards on medium size hogs.
    The real interesting firearm was the Uberti Remington 1858 carbine with a R&D conversion cylinder in 45 Long Colt using the 452" - 200 gr Laser Cast bullets with 10.5grs of Herco (Ken Water's load). Everyone wanted to play with that litle gun! That gun also performed extra well with the prototype Extreme Meplat bullet!
    Another outstanding game load was the discontinued Dixie Tornado out of a Hasting 12 ga - 20" rifled barrel (scoped) on a Remington 870. The hog was hit about 100 yards on the tidal marsh - spun around - dropped dead. Here again that cast bullet in the older BPI sabot has a large meplat.
    I have yet to see any loss of acuracy with these extreme meplat bullets, but there we no shots taken that were more than 100 yards.
    I want to thank all the good folks/customers that supported Dixie in the past. We will continue to sell direct to the hunter!......James

Boolit Grand Master

A most excellent thread, well worth reading all the way from beginning to end.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Thank you James!
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Slugs View Post
    Well Friends, The Dixie Crowd is back and we are planning to crank up production in the first week of Dec.!
    Looking at the reults of our hunts on Florida Coastal Islands, I am more convienced (sp?) than ever that the most important factor in cast bullt design is the size of the meplat....no mater what the velocity and weight is!
    We also shot a prototype extreme meplat .452" bullet weighing about 210/230 grs at a muzzle velocity in the high 900's muzle velocity in the revolvers.. There was a great deal of tissue damage and complete penetration within 75 yards on medium size hogs.
    The real interesting firearm was the Uberti Remington 1858 carbine with a R&D conversion cylinder in 45 Long Colt using the 452" - 200 gr Laser Cast bullets with 10.5grs of Herco (Ken Water's load). Everyone wanted to play with that litle gun! That gun also performed extra well with the prototype Extreme Meplat bullet!
    Another outstanding game load was the discontinued Dixie Tornado out of a Hasting 12 ga - 20" rifled barrel (scoped) on a Remington 870. The hog was hit about 100 yards on the tidal marsh - spun around - dropped dead. Here again that cast bullet in the older BPI sabot has a large meplat.
    I have yet to see any loss of acuracy with these extreme meplat bullets, but there we no shots taken that were more than 100 yards.
    I want to thank all the good folks/customers that supported Dixie in the past. We will continue to sell direct to the hunter!......James
    James, what is your recommended alloy for 45 Colt revolver boolits for hunting?
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

bhn22
    James hasn't logged in here in around three years, I wouldn't expect a timely reply from him.

This thread was interesting

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112