Load DataRotoMetals2PBcastcoLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is a Lee 6 cavity mould

SOMOSS, I shoot an Italian 10.4x47 Vetterli-Vitali. Rather than turning them down on the lathe, I turned some swaging dies to swage the base of a .348 Win. brass down to 10.4x47 specs.
    Bullets have been a problem. I've used .429" .44mag. bullets with marginal success. The trouble being, the original bullets were two diameter, sort of like heeled bullets, the OD being the same as the case neck OD. Are the Swiss bullets the same in this respect? I'd sure like to go partners with a few shooters in ordering a 250gr. two diameter bullet mold, to absorb the set-up fee Lee gets for custom molds.
    Morgan

Boolit Master

These days, I try to do my set screws and such in metric. Trying to get used to the world standard and I live in BFE!

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master
    Lee molds require a different approach than iron molds to achieve success in making quality boolits.

For those of you that are new to Lee 6 Cavity molds the following article is a good introduction to them and how to prepare them for use and for those of us with years of experience with iron molds that have issues getting Lee molds work as well.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...gun2/index.asp

Lee Custom 6 cavity molds are the way to go for volume casting. I actually prefer my Custom 6 Cavity Lee Mold versions of my favorite iron molds as they produce piles of boolits at warp speed without the routine maintenance iron molds require.

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tip on a screw for the cam to ride on.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

41 swiss

the Lee 430-310 is used by some,the case is made longer and the bullet crimoed in the crimp groove.I did it that way as theres no step just a long taper in the chamber.measure the lenth of the feed block and lay a bullet beside the case and cut case where crimp groove is.I use harbor freight mini cut off saw $29.zips right
    thru.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Mold
    I have learned to prefer my Lee molds too.

Have a helpful hint.

Lee suggests using the smoke from a blown out lighted match to smoke the inside of the cavities. I tried this, and got tired of the twenty matches that didn't seem to do enough, and tried a candle. Turns out candle soot particles are too large, (You can just about see each one). So I wiped that all out, and lit a small flame on my oxyacetelene welder, but didn't use any oxygen. Anybody who welds with Oxyacetelene knows it is smoky with no Oxy. Works perfectly. Goes on fast. Lasts for years!
    In Your Service:
    First Big Foot
    Last edited by First Big Foot; 09-25-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Mold

Question for the more ecdified masses:

Some years ago I bought a mold real cheap, thinking someday I would use it for something. But am not sure where to start.

My fear to start is because it is a brass mold. Makes a ball about 30 to 32 caliber, can't really tell. At any rate, I am afraid of soldering the whole thing together.

Anybody got any helpful hints on maintenance, prep, and use of such a mold?

Thanks for the help:
    First Big Foot

i have a six cavity 358 tumble lube 158 grain . cant get used to the alox swirl and lube. Then dust with mica dust

Guess to old to get used to the concept will sell on EBAy.

Had six cavity 9 mm truncated cone and could not pull blocks apart without a forceing with a screwdrive . and that was before i put in lead.

if some one couls point me to a post on how to hand ladel into the sprue hole . please let me know.?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tackstrp View Post
    Had six cavity 9 mm truncated cone and could not pull blocks apart without a forceing with a screwdrive . and that was before i put in lead.

if some one couls point me to a post on how to hand ladel into the sprue hole . please let me know.?
    Use the little Lee dipper. Midway sells 'em cheap
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=161177

Sounds like lube will be your friend on the pis and pivots
    CARPE DIEM!.......

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Ditto, and since you have such a nice pile there Buckshot I wanted to add mine.

Nice piles of bullets you two. Wish I could have a heap like those but I shoot 'em up too fast to ever accumulate very many!

why do i read posts that accuracy of Lyman molds is superior to lee tumble lube??
    IMO you cast a tad oversized , say 430 for the 44 mag or 358 for the 38 I just cant see why not go with tumble lube. Alox is alox in liquid or hard sizer type. Most of the Lee 38/357 moulds are 358 and only one for the 44 mag is 430. As cast size is generally a bit greater than the Lee stated size. Basically my logic is shoot lead at one thousandth over size from copper jacket bullets. From what I have read Lee mould are to cast wheel weights and sizing not required. Pure bulll in my opinion, every thing should be sized, but i am old and cranky. So much misinformation floating around it is sad.

Bottom line use what works, and only believe a tenth of advice.

Boolit Mold
    Preparing a LEE bullet mold for use
    http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2007/1...d-for-use.html

And here's an example of what you can do with Lee moulds, production-wise. 120 boolits in 8 min, 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blk6dKNinlo

Originally I used Frankford Arsenal Drop-Out to "smoke" the moulds. Now I use a standard Bic lighter, and I get slightly better results. Matches work, but they are a pain.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

I took a dremel and a polishing deburring tool to my mold today. It makes for some nice boolits. I removed a crack in the cavity which was causing some bad boolits. I removed burrs in the other cavities, and now I can throw 6 very nice boolits. Yes I spent some time on the mold and it was well worth it,to get the final results. My boolits look great. Now to go shooting.
    VOTE 2010! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!) I got this from AZ Stew

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician - Col Jeff Cooper

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That Carteach site is great, thanks.

Liberal with a gun could lay out his gear a bit better, so that he doesn't have to get up and stretch across the table every cast. But, I suppose he is young and everything still works without stiffness and pain.

Thanks, the carteach site will provide a lot of good reading later on.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    Thanks this thread was helpful

Yes, Liberal With A Gun is young enough for things to still be working fine.

However, after some suggestions from some other folks, I've somewhat optimized my layout. This has increased my throughput even more.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Banned

CowboyT, it's about time you joined up and learned how to cast!

I watched some of your vids on Lee presses before buying one, thanks for putting all that stuff out on the web for us to enjoy.

Gear

What is that little screw for again?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rattletrap1970 View Post
    What is that little screw for again?
    So that the cam (the other handle) rides against it and not the aluminium. As the handle is way harder than the mould, it will wear a groove in it without the screw to ride on.

I can never figure out why casters turn their nose up at LLA. The conventional lube is Alox with the wax to hold it there. I must sound like a broken record, but I always tumble lube some unsized boolits and try that before I do anything else. A lot of the time the results are just fine and I don't need to do anymore fiddling about!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast