PBcastcoLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This is a Lee 6 cavity mould

Super Moderator

This is a Lee 6 cavity mould

I apologize for the very poor picture quality, but of main interest is the alignment pins. If you'll note, the pins are steel and they go into steel bushings which are pressed into the mould blocks. No "Steel on aluminum" as in Lee's other mould blocks.

Lee block, sprueplate and sprueplate lever and cam. In order to ease the initial cutting of the 6 sprues, Lee has placed a cam on the end of the handle. The face of the cam bears on the side of the block. This arrangement greatly amplifies the force the sprueplate exerts to start the cut. A neat idea.

Over time, and especially with hard alloys, the cam WILL begin to erode or cause a depression in the aluminum (the old steel on aluminum thing again). You can stop this by drilling and taping the block for a simple steel setscrew for the cam to push against. Or drill and press in a steel pin.

End view of the mould blocks. Another poor photo, sorry. Blocks are substantial. Closest on the left block is the sprueplate holddown bolt. A headed bushing is sprung via a wave washer. The sprueplate slides under it and is held in place ( a prime lube point to be watched. It's another steel on aluminum deal.

The prime reason for going with the Lee 6 cavity mould, besides price is:

PRODUCTION!

...............Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 11-14-2009 at 01:29 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Production!

You got that right, Buckshot.

That set screw under the cam is a good idea, I think I'll do that.

Cat

Boolit Master
    The set screw works like a dream. See my post under 314-120.
    Nighthunter

Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter
    The set screw works like a dream.
    Nighthunter
    Ditto! Thanks Buckshot

Last edited by steveb; 05-23-2006 at 12:47 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Boy, Yer learn something every day here!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    tumble lube?

Boolit Mold

vetterli 10.4x38 bullet

HI. i a link to your post on this forum from the swiss guns forum. i have been waiting on a lee single cavity custom mold order for about a year now. have groups from your forum ordered for this caliber ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by somoss
    HI. i a link to your post on this forum from the swiss guns forum. i have been waiting on a lee single cavity custom mold order for about a year now. have groups from your forum ordered for this caliber ?
    Can't give you an answer to the above question, but I wanted to be the first to welcome you to the forum. Glad to have you here! I would assume you are talking about the K-31, correct?

Regards,

Kevin

Boolit Mold
    acually its for a vetterli 10/4x38

Super Moderator

................A second welcome to the board. So far as a custom mould run for that cartridge goes, no one here has ever done one before. I don't think there are too many of them owned by board members. At least no one has had much to say about it if they do have one

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot
    ................A second welcome to the board. So far as a custom mould run for that cartridge goes, no one here has ever done one before. I don't think there are too many of them owned by board members. At least no one has had much to say about it if they do have one

..................Buckshot
    Actually, we have done several custom runs that fit the 10.4x38 nicely, but none that actually look like the the swiss military boolit. Several board members have converted the rimfire bolt to centerfire and shoot with reformed 348 cases.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Boolit Mold
    i converted mine and used commercial 44 bullets but as you know they just are not long enough to use properly in the converted 348's. i will keep an eye out for the next group order for the mould.

The prime reason for going with the Lee 6 cavity mould, besides price is:

PRODUCTION! 8)

...............Buckshot
    Ditto, and since you have such a nice pile there Buckshot I wanted to add mine.

Boolit Bub

Swiss bullet

If you ever do another group buy on that Swiss bullet feel free to place it over on my Swiss site.
    Visit us at The C+R Gun Collectors Forums

[http://p090.ezboard.com/bcollectorguns35625

In Remembrance
    I'm not sure another 41 Swiss group buy will happen on the Swissrifles.com site as the Vetterli forum is going to shut down soon unless someone takes it over. Shame too, as there is MUCH info there on the Vetterli rifles and carbines. It may be possible to get a group buy started on a different Swiss rifle forum?? Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy
    any suggestions as to screw size for the steel pivot ?

Planning to do several, and need to make a trip to Homey Depot when I get home for screws/tap.
    ________
    Buy Glass Bong
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Super Moderator

...............Just do what Steveb did for his mould. Use a #8 drywall screw. Cut off all but maybe 3 threads under the head. The screws are HARD, so no dikes . Grind and snap'em off. Select a drill bit just a tad smaller then the thread OD. Drill to depth and then countersink with a drill bit to match the OD of the screw head. so it's about flush.

No major accuracy issues involved here. If the screwhead is a bit cattywhumpus it's no big. Try for perfection, but don't hurt yourself

................Buckshot

Monroe, Washington in the The Great Pacific NorthWet

cattywhumpus

I don't know if I'll ever get used to all that scientific technical jargon.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the suggestion Buckshot.

I already made an unedumucated guess and went with 6-32 x3/8" FH machine screw. I haven't drilled anything yet, since I'm still stranded in BFE, but I will definitely give the drywall screw a look see before I start drilling.

I like the idea of not having to tap a hole that small and I'm pretty sure the drywall screw would bite into the soft aluminum to hold well.

I'm already figuring on removing the sprue plate bolt and going all the way thru with it instead of doing the set screw thing. Then I'll use a new bolt with a double nut and a lock washer. It won't sit level but I don't usually sit the moulds down when I use them anyway.

Not sure if I will put the nuts on top of the sprue plate and use a round head for the bottom of the mould, or put the nuts on the bottom.

Thanks again for the info, if I'm lucky, I can get this done without cracking my GB moulds

'Slick
    ________
    Lovely Wendie99
    Last edited by BigSlick; 05-03-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast