RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best sizer

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you have the money, then the answer is STAR!!! You can shoot lead bullets with just a simple pan lube or you can sit back and relax and use a Star. Read the thread by heavy Lead on the Cast Boolits postings just above this one. He ask the question Why should I buy a Star. The answers there will tell you. Oh and I have three, they are so good Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

My shooting-hunting partner was a commercial cast bullet manufacturer. Currently, he continues to load and shoot tens of thousands of rounds per year. He is my expert.

Redding's Saeco Lubri-Sizer, using tapered shoulder top punches, he has found to be the most precise machine for non-commercial reloaders. It has the ability to size without lubricating were you to prefer it. Unfortunately, its mechanical advantage is not particularly high.

His second choice is the currently made RCBS lubrisizer because of its superior mechanical advantage.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Grand Master

Like asking what is the best vehicle.

For high speed, Porsche, Corvette, Ferarri.

To carry lumber - F150.

I have lee cake cutters, Lee push thru, Lyman, RCBS and two Stars.
    Each has it's application, and the cost is all over the map, new
    and dies, etc.

How high is up?

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have a cast bullet bus. in Canada and for years i have lubed and sized on Lyman, and RCBS. lubesizers, and sized on Lee sizers, I currently have 2 Lyman w/heaters, 2 RCBS, and have done probably hundreds of thousands of bullets on them. I recently bought a Star with Air pressure cyl......Why the hell did i wait so long?...This thing is magic and maybe 10 times faster, so slick, and produces beautiful bullets. I have just ordered a second one and may dump some of my other sizers, and no, I'm not connected with Star/Magma in any way!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank all of you for your responses. While I do have work inside a budget, price will not drive my purchace. As I discovered years ago with bird dogs the purchase price is just the down payment on years or enjoyment or aggervation. As the Filson ad says "might as well have the best". Think I'll order a Star

Boolit Bub
    Star, vintage San Diego version and no mine is not for sale.

Moderator Emeritus
    The answer really depends on your application, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Here's my reply to recent post in a similar vein.

"The Star is indeed a fine lube sizer but really comes into its own if you need to do lots of the same boolits to the same size in this game it has no peers.

However if you are like me who is casting and loading a couple of hundred boolits at a time of different designs that all have different lubing and sizing requirements for different rifles then the Lyman and RCBS are much better.

They are much cheaper and easier to get second hand than the Star, I have 3 rcbs, 2 Lymans and a Vickers on my bench and they all cost less than a new Star. Also I find size die change over time is quicker than on the Starr, not an issue if you are sizing high volumes of the same boolit.

For size dies Buckshot will make you any size you want.

So really you need to consider your needs first to help you make an informed decision."

Finally the RCBS product support is second to none, new or second hand.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12