Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best sizer

Boolit Buddy

best sizer

before investing in a piece of new gear, I would like to take a poll. What is the best option for sizing gear.

Best is Magma Star Sizer, but it can get pricey. Starts at $250 for the base and with a few options and a few dies, you can hit $800 real quick like I did.

Next would be the Lyman and RCBS. Dies and Punches are interchangeable and run about $130 new with heated bases.

Saeco also has a design like Lyman and RCBS.

For cheap, no frills sizing you can go with Lee push thru dies that screw into your reloading press.
    Calehedron
    Roll Tide!
    KCH Reloading
    Custom Cast Bullets and Brass Processing
    Owner/Operator
    A small garage based business

Boolit Master

Are you referring to JUST SIZING or do you mean sizing AND lubeing?
    Larry

Boolit Buddy
    What I am really debating is whether or not to continue buying one size at a time Lee or to invest in a lube sizer and if so what kind.

I really like my Star. I just got a Lyman 450 also for black powder lube, but have no advice yet, as I need Dale to show me how to get it up and running. They will chime in and tell you the perks of each.

Even after you buy the machine, you'll still be spending more money for every new sizing die.

Jerry

Boolit Master

The advantages of the lub/sizers are they lube and size. They also offer sizing dies in a greater size range than the LEE sizers. The disadvantage is that the sizer dies cost way more than the LEE die. You also need top punches to fit your bullet with the Lyman and RCBS units. Don't know anything about the Star or Saeco units.
    I have 3 Lyman 450's but I also have LEE sizers also for most of my boolits. I like to lube in the 450 with an oversized die and then use the LEE push-thru for final sizing, if I size at all.
    Larry

Boolit Master

I have a lyman, star and tried the lee. The lee is fast and cheap but I didnt like pan lubing but they shot good though. I like the lyman a lot its slower but a lot cleaner plus you get a good look at every boolit. The star by far my favorite fast and lathesmith can make you any size die you could want. All three will do the job so it comes down to preferance. Good luck tough choice.

Boolit Master

My Lyman 450 doesn't like .45 pistol boolits. I have all the leverage I need for plunging them into the die, but then have to fight to make them resurface. I've taken to sizing them with a LEE sizer with a coat of alox, and the lubing them with C Red in the 450. Chances are, when all is said and done, you'll end up with several lube/sizers, and like them all just fine. Oh, .45's are the only boolits the 450 has a problem with.

Boolit Grand Master

280Ackley, if you don't get the Star now DO NOT ever try one in the future, your hieny will be black and blue from the kicking you'll give it.

You should consider this purchase carefully before you get any machine and the reason is simple, its not the cost of the machine . . . its the cost of the dies. If you buy the RCBS (just as an example) and start buying dies for it and then down the road a few years you decide that you cast enough and in several different calibers that the Star is what you need & want you can buy all the dies all over again. If you get the Star first I assure you that you will never consider the others.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

star is hands down the best

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Get the Star. Lathesmith can make the dies for you at a great price.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

In Remebrance

I have RCBS, Lyman and Lee. I like the RCBS better than the Lyman 450 or 45. The Lee may be cheap, but they work exceedingly well giving very nice boolits and can be opened to any diameter you want easily. While they are inexpensive, I don't consider them "cheap". The RCBS/Lyman types work quite well but the dies are expensive. OTH they are readily available on the used market. I used a SAECO once, very nice, a step up from the RCBS.

I'm sure the Star is wunnerful wunnerful but they are expensive, used parts aren't around like Lyman/RCBS and I keep seeing guys here having this problem or that. I suppose there's a learning curve.

If I could have the perfect sizer it would be a Lee style that lubes too. That's sort of the Star, so maybe these guys are right.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

lubers

if you look at an old lyman I mean old you will be looking at a redding AND THE rcbs is an intermediate to the lyman.so there.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master

if you lube & size about 5,000 + bullets a year get a star/magnma !!!!!! i have 2 stars, one has sized well over 250,000 bullets the second one about 50,000 with no breakages or parts replacement . ive also had 2 lymans and 2 saecos sold them all ! once you use the star you will never go back ! i use mine for pistol and rifle bullets . over the years 3 local bullet casters came to my house and used mine and they bought theres right away ! and 1 was mad at me for not telling them about the star sooner

Boolit Grand Master

I started with the Lee and moved up to a Use but in great shape Lyman 450. I use both depending on what suits me. The Star is only worth it if you crank out lots of bullets.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Cheap way and it works well is Lee push through but you have to either pan or tumble lube. Expensive is only one, Star. I have both and they both do an excellent job of sizing. Both are nose first sizers and that's a plus too.

Opps, I just saw that I already replied to this post. Sorry folks.
    Last edited by Down South; 03-09-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    I don't crank out lots of boolits but do have a Star and an RCBS ,got the RCBS first still use it from time to time but any new sizeing dies I buy are allways for the star. Once you use a star notheing else compares. Dennis

anachronism

Boolit Master

I have an old Lyman 45 and its never failed me.....sometimes when the garage is ice cold I have to hook up a heat lamp over it so the lub will flow...other than that its a pretty basic functional tool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast