Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas check prices a rip-off??

In Remebrance

Nighthunter- You're preaching to the choir buddy. Every word of its the truth too.

45 2.1- Thats just the warm up. In Modern American Life 201 I address Hillary, alternative life styles and tofu.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret
    Nighthunter- You're preaching to the choir buddy. Every word of its the truth too.

45 2.1- Thats just the warm up. In Modern American Life 201 I address Hillary, alternative life styles and tofu.
    Darn Brett, you had such a good class for 101, but 201s topics are about things I don't wanna know about. You teach 101 and we'll get nighthunter to teach his version on 201.

Before I retired last Dec 31, I sold High Voltage Electrical Cables to the mining industry. Our raw drawn copper wire prices had risen 2-1/2 times in less than 24 months. I'm not sure how much 99.9% pure copper ingots had risen in that same time but it was close to the same.
    I have no idea how much copper prices effect gas check manufacturing, but would not be surpised to learn that the package and packaging costs are more than the cost of the copper and the manufacturing process. Which would mean that a double in material cost, should not mean a 2X rise in end product, but the increase in gas check prices would be effected drastically.

I hate the rise in gas check prices too, but I'm not sure how much of the blame should be on Hornady.
    Cast Round, Shoot Straight
    Take someone shooting

Boolit Master
    So, are you guys getting Gators direct from manufacturer or through retailers? If the manufacturer sells direct it might well be worth my while to place an order.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2
    If you believe the price is artifically high, invest in the machinery and material, undercut the market leader and make a profit.
    I guess that will have to wait until after I buy a refinery because I think gas prices are too high. You must be in a much higher tax bracket than me!

Boolit Master
    44 WCF, I know where there are a couple rolls of heavy guage copper flashing. Any idea what that stuff is worth? sundog

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ken O
    I guess that will have to wait until after I buy a refinery because I think gas prices are too high. You must be in a much higher tax bracket than me!
    I make more than some and less than others, just like you.

Why don't you guys make your own checks? I been swaging my bullets and making the jackets out of copper tubing for quite some time.
    When I was active in Hy-power I made most of my bullets with rebated boat tails that shot every bit as good as I could buy.
    The cost is high to get set up making checks, but if you shoot a lot it will pay for it self.

LP

Grafs prices are still pretty reasonable, comparitively speaking.
    http://www.grafs.com/casting/451

Best to get some before they find out what everbody else is charging!

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    John, Graf is overpriced as well by at least 30 percent. Include mailing, they would be over priced even more. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Holy smokes, you're right. The suckers changed the price after printing the catalog.

Felix,
    Yes they are overpriced. The only consilation is that they appear to be less overpriced than their competitors.

All the more reason to use .06 poly wads with plain based bullets for higher velocities where the wad and bullet can be retained together in the case neck.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stocker
    So, are you guys getting Gators direct from manufacturer or through retailers? If the manufacturer sells direct it might well be worth my while to place an order.
    Stocker:
    I see this is the second time you've asked the question and deserve an answer.

I'm far from any expert on Gators...all I know about them is what I've read on this board and elsewhere. I've never used Gators nor personally dealt with Larry Blackmon. I'll relay what my understanding is but, if I've got some incorrect information here...someone please correct me. Felix is really the "go-to" man on his but he's a busy man with Gator's as we speak.

If you haven't done so, go to the "Group Buy Section" and you'll read about the buy that Felix has put together on Gators.

Larry Blackmon produces and distrubutes Gator gas checks from a company called "Bullet Swaging Supply"...I'm not aware of a web address for it. He produces high quality custom gas checks. He requires a large order (at least 5k??) but I believe will sell to both individuals and distributors. I haven't seen a list of current prices. Below is the link for mountain moulds, in the top left you will find some information on the Gator Checks they sell. If you scroll down go down to the articles and links section...you will find the address and phone number for gator checks at the top of the page.

http://www.mountainmolds.com

Best prices I'm currently aware of on gas checks are at Midway, which by today's inflated pricing standard, offers a good buy on commonly used checks through the end of the month. Prices are close to those of last year.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Larry is an optometrist who is a tool and die maker on the side. He apparently got tired of the crap being sold, and he was the only one making 50 caliber checks for quite some time. He likes to sell to commercial boolit guys so he does not have to package stuff up. In other words, a hundred thousand of one kind in one box. I talked him into packaging ours with a little more sympathy by offering him a surcharge. That has been reflected in your invoices, WHICH ALL HAVE BEEN SENT NOW, except for four of them which need a little consideration.

I NEED valid EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR MEL HAYWARD OF NOVASCOTIA AND FOR HAROLD VON KUGELMAN.

felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Gator checks

MTW and felix: Thanks guys. I missed that group buy post so the answer was probably there for me all the time. Appreciated.

Guys..I have 6K Lyman 44 gas checks that are surplus to my needs. You can have them for $18.00 per K plus postage. The postage should come to about $4.00 for the 1st. k and $2.00 for every K after that. If interested, email me at cgraff@stx.rr.com

Super Moderator

................Has anyone considered calling or e-mailing Hornady about the prices of GC's? If they site the rise in copper, then that would possibly add a buck to a box. Packaging, transportation, raw materials, labor, and power costs combined wouldn't show up as the price increases seen.

I think it is as was suggested. Since one maker makes them all for a tiny nitch market, you increase the price until consumption drops or levels and the users become used to it.

Can't do that with bullets since there is too much competition out there. Like a grocery store, they can sell at a low percentage and the volumn provides the profit figures they want.

.....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

Looking at the copper market, copper has been going up, it closed at $2.30 a pound friday. I dont think that is the reason the checks are going up in price, I would guess the box cost more than the copper. What does 1000 checks weigh? Of course the guilding material would cost more than the raw cost, it is probably run through a roller. Its just a small market with no competition, so they can charge what ever they want.
    Hopefully we can do the group buy on the Gator checks occasionlly, (thanks Felix).

Boolit Mold
    http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|281|293|408
    Last edited by Headstamp; 02-04-2006 at 09:27 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Was at the local scrap dealer just this past Thursday and Friday.

As an FYI,

#2 Copper Scrap is $1.63/lb (pipe, fittings)

Light copper is $1.58/lb (flashing, etc.)

Brass is $1.03/lb (pipe, fittings, faucets)

WW's are 0.14/lb

After about 35 years, we cleaned out the business garage and found (was able to get to) all the copper and brass scrap my dad was saving from old construction/remodel jobs.

In 2 days made 2 trips to the scrap yard for a net total of almost $1400 in scrap. Not a bad few hours work.