RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: More " Lee - Lementing "

Beekeeper
    Pat,
    To true up the three jaw chuck jaws take a ring and chuck it up on the outside of the jaws.
    Then grind the jaws with a tool post grinder and they will come out true.
    Watched my Dad do it several times as a kid and did it once myself on a Navy ship I was on after someone tried to destroy the lathe.

Jim

Boolit Buddy

Lee-Menting

Didn't see anyone say, but can this be used on other than aluminum molds? Have a Lyman that's very sticky. Thanks, Circuit Rider

Circuit Rider,
    Yep, you can use the basic process on aluminum, iron, brass, or any other material you can find molds made from. You just need to be more careful with some combinations of abrasives and mold materials than other. Basic rule: Its easier to remove more material than it is to put it back on. Stop and check often.
    Rick

Well, I was struggling with a "Lee" yesterday, the bargain of the month I figured. But gave up early and polished the mold this morning. Will give it another try this afternoon.
    Has anyone ever changed the "as-cast" dimensions by over polishing them?

Thanks, this is great info

Pete

Boolit Buddy

Methods/Lee Menting

I tried the Kroil method, didn't work for me. Tried the abrasive and worked on all my molds,falling out easy. Didn't change diameter, boolits look better. Circuit Rider

Gentlemen,

I just have to ask all of you who use Crest toothpaste to polish your molds: Do your molds now have 20% fewer cavities?!!! (hee hee hee hee)

Ok, so I'm a rookie, both here and to the ages old art of casting the silver stream. I purchased my first mold, a 2 cav TL452-230-2R. I started casting my merry @$$ off, not thinking much of the need to "gently" tap ever boolit out of the mold as I has smoked the thing to death, pre-heated and lubed as per the instructions, with many an off-color innuendo in the process. then I find "Cast Boolits" and realize that the instructions actually meant the boolits should *fall* out, not get whacked out via concussive force applied to the hinge bolt. I just 'lemented' my mold with a tapped boolit and Crest (I'm a dirt poor, full-time father/student and apartment dweller, I have no shop, little room and few tools to speak of... making do). Upon finishing, there is still 'soot/varnish' in the cavities, and it only seems to have polished the cavity edges. Is that normal?? gonna go throw a few through it, see if things have improved.

P.S. Anyone know a good way to "re-crimp" the pin holes the hold the blocks to the handles??
    Last edited by slvrwraith; 09-08-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typos... stupid bloody typos
    "The prohibition is general. No clause in the Constitution could by any rule of construction be conceived to give to Congress a power to disarm the people. Such a flagitious attempt could only be made under some general pretense by a state legislature. But if in any blind pursuit of inordinate power, either should attempt it, this amendment may be appealed to as a restraint on both." [William Rawle, A View of the Constitution 125-6 (2nd ed. 1829)

Boolit Master
    Others here have far more experience than I but here is my advice based on my results so far. If you smoke a mold, it will decrease the diameter of your bullets. The result will be that when you try to lap the mold, you may be merely removing some of the smoke soot. Clean the mold squeaky clean, examine it closely with magnification and carefully remove any visible burrs at the part lines, cast some more bullets and then try lapping again. If the Crest does not help, you may need to try a more aggressive compound but go slow. I used fine valve grinding compound followed by toothpaste for a final polish. My bullets now drop freely.

Hi,

GREAT thread !!

I have some problems with 2 pedersoli molds and I will do the procedure " Lee - Lementing "

I tried some mold prep without any success:

So, I will "break free" them, then treat with acetone.

Then I will do the suggested procedure.

Question:

I would like to know if the Brinell of the bullet is important; I use to cast pure lead (BN 5-6).

Thank you for all infos on that thread.

Merci beaucoup.

Gerald

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Etienne Brule View Post
    Hi,

GREAT thread !!

I have some problems with 2 pedersoli molds and I will do the procedure " Lee - Lementing "

Question:

I would like to know if the Brinell of the bullet is important; I use to cast pure lead (BN 5-6).

Merci beaucoup.

Gerald
    The short answer is yes, it can matter a great deal.
    To fully answer though, We need a little more info. What caliber are you casting for?
    What velocity load will you use. How close is your "boolit" size to the actual bore of the weapon?
    Each of these answers, can effect the BHN needed, and can contribute to your boolits success in your weapon

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The short answer is yes, it can matter a great deal.
    To fully answer though, We need a little more info. What caliber are you casting for?
    Hi,

45 cal in a muzzleloader Pedersoli Gibbs

What velocity load will you use.
    1250 fps

How close is your "boolit" size to the actual bore of the weapon?
    Bore size is .4485 and the boolit is the same.

Each of these answers, can effect the BHN needed, and can contribute to your boolits success in your weapon
    Well... I think that I do not understand where I am goeing with your interrogations...

I am sorry, but maybe I did not understand the whole process.

In fact, I want to know if a "pure lead" bullet is fine to polish the moulds or if I need to use a harder bullet to do the job.

Maybe it is my "translation" of the problem that is wrong.

Thank you for the attention.

Gerald from Quebec city

Boolit Master
    What would be considered TOO abrasive to use on the Aluminum Lee molds? I use Mother's Mag and MAAS metal polish on various other projects. Too harsh for the Lee?
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Etienne Brule View Post
    Hi,

GREAT thread !!

Question:

Merci beaucoup.

Gerald
    Well,

I did the " Lee - Lementing " method WITH a pure lead bullet and JB Boring stuff on a Lyman mold ( 125 turns... ).

As expected the pure lead mold did the job for the "beagle".

And everything was just right.

I repeat the procedure with Crest dental stuff.

The mold was shiny and the bullets fell from the mold on opening.

Thank you.

Gerald

Boolit Buddy
    great thread.........bump to the top for other newbies to see

Wow, great thread I learned a new trick and I can not wait to try it thanks for the bump.

Unbelievable the simplicity and ingenous of the idea and it works great. Just tried it in my lee two cavity 9 mm mold which is almost new and I had already stopped using one of the cavities because you had to beat the s$$t out of the hinge bolt and it would make my wrist hurt after a while. Either way I tried this trick and I did not have any abrasive paste in the garage so I used mothers polish for aluminum rims. The bullets just fall out now, no smoking required and no beating.

One more thing if you open half of your mold and occasionally inspect before dropping the bullets like I do then you will want to pay particular attention to the angle you hold your hand at. The bullets will fall right out, do not forget like I did they are to hot for my wrist to handle.

Boolit Master
    Great idea, I have a couple of molds that give me trouble, will try "Leementing"
    (what the heck does that mean anyhow?)

I have some Simichrome paste, suppose that's too fine?

Thanks, I have gone through a couple of hammer handles trying to get boolits
    to drop out. Of course I'm using a Coleman stove so temp control is hit or miss...

I have a hammer handle that I drilled a half inch hole 2 or 3 inches deep in and put a finish nail in from the side and then filled the hole with lead so I could hit it harder. I gues I don't need that any more just the slightest tap if any thing at all.

This should be a sticky.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast