Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
PBcastco RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: More " Lee - Lementing "

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the tutorial, I tried this and it worked great, I used semi chrome polish as it was all I had! it worked fine!
    Marshhawk

Just thought I would ask before I jump into this.

I just purchased a New Lee 358-200 RNFP/GC mold for my 35 Remington and the reports tell me that this new Lee mold will drop at what it says believe it or not lol at .358 - .3585. So I am pretty sure I will have to open it up to at least .359 but probably .360 for my Marlin 35 Remington.

So the question is should I use the Fine Valve Lapping compound first to open it up the .002 and then use say Mothers Mag polish to polish the cavities?

Thank You.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    That would be my routine to the letter.

You'll be amazed at how quickly the Lee aluminum is worn away with the fine valve grinding compound.

Lee's aluminum seems much softer than NOE's and other quality aluminum moulds.

Getting a .360" should be no problem at all. You'll also reap the benefits of a bullet that will " jump " out of the cavities when the mould is opened.

Ben

Thank You Ben.

One more question. The boolits I will use with the fine valve grinding compound should they be soft as say pure lead or use pure lino or something in between?

I ask as I wish to do this right and actually in as little time as possible to do it right due to the well HEAT down in South TEXAS. As it is right at 100F or so outside of which means in my non cooled garage it gets a good bit warmer than that lol. But I wish to shoot this thing lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always used air cooled WW's.

Ben

Thank You Ben but after melting in the South TEXAS heat all evening and onto this morning I gave up on that Lee mold as it is more undersize than a thought. It is right at .356-.3575. I did try the valve lapping compound some but it has a long way to go. And in this TEXAS heat it was just too much for me and far to aggravating to attempt to make the mold work. Soooooooooo

I picked up my old BRP-360-220 RNFP/GC mold and cast about 15LBS worth of boolits with it. And I have to say in the end the Lee mold even if free is not worth the cost of admission. As that BRP mold casts BEAUTIFUL bullets and sized at .361-.362 on the driving bands and just falls from the mold into my bucket of water like they want to cool off lol.

So I will probably do some work on the brass to make those BRP boolits work in my 35 Remington ad they work great in my .358 Winchester.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are few things that frustrate me more than a mould that throws an undersized cast bullet.

Boolit Master

I'm with you Ben...talk about all over the paper. Just a waste of good powder and I want more than just the BANG!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    I have an old Lee DC .38 cal 155 SWC bullet mold that allows light through the blocks and I get some fining. It is a discontinued mold, as it casts a plain base bullet---not a gas check one. I cannot get a replacement, but I would like to fix it so that the blocks close all the way---any suggestions?

Boolit Master

Check to see if there is trash around the pins that will keep it from closing completely. Use an old toothbrush to clean the surface of each half. Also, remove them from the handles and try to close them. If they still see the light then you may have a warped mold. Any misalignment will case problems. Let us know what you find.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    I have tried all that--they are indeed slightly warped/twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinne View Post
    Check to see if there is trash around the pins that will keep it from closing completely. Use an old toothbrush to clean the surface of each half. Also, remove them from the handles and try to close them. If they still see the light then you may have a warped mold. Any misalignment will case problems. Let us know what you find.

Boolit Buddy
    Same here, Semi Chrome and a slow drill speed did the trick. Will do all my Lee Moulds the same way.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456