Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lee 312-185-1r they work !

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    I would go further with this one, in my dreams i would get one in the same design but 2.3cc, 205gr, 0,317’’ body with 0,305’’ nose...
    This is almost an impossible feat. The .305 nose will cause chambering problems for ALL standard chamber shooters. Can change the size of the bands...but the nose will remain constant. You may be one of the few people that MUST nose size.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I would be interested only if it came in .316. My 91/30 has a huge bore, slugged at .315.
    I requested the mold at .315 target. Lets see what we come up with.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    This is almost an impossible feat. The .305 nose will cause chambering problems for ALL standard chamber shooters. Can change the size of the bands...but the nose will remain constant. You may be one of the few people that MUST nose size.

In fact these are the measurements of a « fatter » (by 0.001’’ at the bands) NOE316299. It chambers in all of my mosins, argie mausers and enfields but, sometimes, even for them, it’s not fat enough. I don’t size noses. I just also prefer lee molds to the noe, they work better for me. I would be part of a group buy to get a mold like that. Let’s call it 317-202-1R!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kegcaissy View Post
    In fact these are the measurements of a « fatter » (by 0.001’’ at the bands) NOE316299. It chambers in all of my mosins, argie mausers and enfields but, sometimes, even for them, it’s not fat enough. I don’t size noses. I just also prefer lee molds to the noe, they work better for me. I would be part of a group buy to get a mold like that. Let’s call it 317-202-1R!!
    I have one of those NOE moulds. It's now called a 316-213-RN.
    It drops at .316 with CWW, and has a .305 nose. It fits perfectly in my 1930 Izzy hex receiver 91/30.

That NOE mould is a treat to use. I just wish it had more of a meplat.

Boolit Master

I looked on NOE site but couldn't find that 316-213 RN mold...
    Is it a custom mold or what?
    Denny

Boolit Master

My mistake. I looked again, it is listed as a 316-202-RN (316299). Mine came in a box marked 316-213RN.

Here's the link - http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=31_285

Sorry about the mistake.

Boolit Master

OK, gotch ya....I have the 316-299. It's a great bullet for those over
    sized bores on a lot of our military rifles.
    Denny

I got lucky on two Lee Molds. I used the 185 sized to 310 in a 30-30 loaded at about 2000 fps for deer and it worked very well. I had another Lee mold at 200 grains for a 30 cal that threw bullets at about 312. My Enfield liked them and they also worked well on deer. A trick I picked up on a Canadian site for the 303 was to use a filler on top of the charge as it helps with some of the throat issues in an Enfield. Shot buffer works extremely well. COW can solidify.

DP

A lot of older milsurps have enlarged throats. Either from poor cleaning practices, or by design (a military rifle must chamber dirty ammo and be able to shoot it good accuracy is optional

(oops)

An awful lot of old milsurp rifles have oversized chambers, throats, and even barrels. This is why they can be made to shoot better with cast bullets than their original ammo. With cast we have the option of easily fitting the dimensions of the barrel. Most rifles will shoot cast the best using cast bullets that are larger than the groove diameter and fill the throat of the chamber. Don't worry about a pressure spike because lead is much more malleable than most of us realize. The absolute best way of finding the optimal bullet diameter is to make a pound cast of the throat, and part of the rifling. Doing so will tell you exactly what you need without a lot of frustration and wasted components.

There is also a lot of variation in chamber dimensions and barrels. Remember, these rifles were largely made in a big hurry to fill contracts, and put weapons where they were badly needed. Consequently, chamber variations will vary from gun to gun. Brodie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12