Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lee 312-185-1r they work !

lee 312-185-1r they work !

I was having second thoughts about my lee 312-185 because , against the advice of experienced pros on this site, I loaded some up in the enfield with 33 grains of 4895 with no filler. I had vertical stringing and overall poor accuracy. I promptly ordered a 314299. My 314299 will be in day after tomorrow. In the mean time I loaded up more 312-185's , some with 16gr 2400 and some with 20gr 2400. Both loads shot extremely well. I'm pleased to say the least as the 20gr load can be used easily for deer and the 16gr makes a fine target-small game load that still packs a wallup. I was thinking that because the nose portion of the boolit didnt fit tightly in the muzzle that I was out of luck, but I was wrong. I can now recommend this mold for those who may be still on the fence. I have a feeling that the 314299 will be and outstanding mold. So far for my 303 brit, I can load my lee ctL 312-160s,' lee 312-185's, and soon the 314299's. Life is good!

Boolit Master
    Glad you got your latest results!

One charge and one powder has always been just a start for me ...... not an end.

Three 44s

Thanks Three!

Boolit Mold
    have you chrono these results too

Boolit Master

I had the same results. I have since beagled and PCed my 185 Lee's with good to outstanding results. It's a good boolit! Every failure is a means to a successful load and you also know what won't work. The 314299 is a great boolit too.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    My Lee .312 185 RN Cast boolit is all I need for my Garands, Krags and M1903s and P-14 and P-17 rifles.

Webley

Boolit Master

Also a big fan of that mold. It’s useful for lots of calibers and with 4895 either flavor there is usually a sweet spot!

Boolit Buddy
    G,day,
    Have good results with the 185 Lee in my no1mk3 .303 1.25” V. X 2” H @100yds. 11gns Unique, Alox Lube, it also shoots well in my Mauser 98 in .308,albeit sized to .309.same charge of Unique. Rather a good pill from a cheepy mould.

Cheers Mal in au.

The Lee .312" 185 gr. RN is a great shooting bullet in my M44 and 91/30 both with .312" groove bores, I cast it from COWW's + 2% Tin and water quench and size to .314" using traditional lube or powder coat. I've pretty much been running it with 16 to 20 gr. loads of Alliant 2400 with excellent results but I'm currently working on some loads using H-4895 to push the velocity up a bit as I can't get there with 2400. Shoots great in the SKS rifles as well.

First test loads.

PC'ed with Smokes Carolina Blue and Sage 303 Aluminum gas checks.
    Last edited by res45; 05-28-2018 at 08:03 PM.

In Remembrance

I have suggested to Midsouth that they have LEE produce this (AND other molds, like the C309-113-F!) in a six-cav version. They eMailed back they'd pass the suggestion on to 'Marketing' or maybe it was 'Purchasing'. How about a group buy?
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Boolit Master
    Mine casts undersized. .309” and comes in at 180gr. I suspect it’s a mismarked .309” 180gr, not a C185-.312”.
    Think Lee will swap me for a “correct one”?

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Mine casts undersized. .309” and comes in at 180gr. I suspect it’s a mismarked .309” 180gr, not a C185-.312”.
    It can't hurt to give them a call. What alloy are you casting with? Sometimes too soft an alloy will give you smaller diameter...however, it should have produced a heavier bullet than 185gr. I've dealt with Lee in the past and they've been pretty responsive.

I made a suggestion to them about a year ago to make a Factory Crimp Die for the 45-70 Hornady short cases...they declined stating that there wasn't a demand for it....I see now they have it as a standard product...so they do take suggestions and follow up on them if they feel there is a market.

Anyway....Nothing lost by calling them except for a little time....and they respond well to email too.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

The Lee and the 314299 are so close in design, I would have simply just stayed with the Lee mold. (Just a thought) Lol!

Glad the stars aligned for you, good post.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

I find the Lee 312 and the NOE 314 like different loads, I imagine the Lyman 314 may well yield best results with yet another different powder or load. Some depends on the bore, those old mil-surps can vary a bit in size. A tight bore might love the 312's an oversized bore might gain from the larger diameter bullet.

ADI powder load data and equivalency has a pretty rich selection of load data for the 303 British. ADI is Australian company that is the manufacturer for several of the powders sold here in the US under other brand names. Takes two of their pages to get useful loads. The first you have a drop down to select caliber. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/rifle.asp all the listed powders will be the ADI Australian branded names. So you use the ADI equivalents chart that shows what their powder is sold as in the US. E.g their AR2206H is sold here as H4895, IMR4895, Vectan TU5000, or AA2460 http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

They have more 303 bullet weights than most sources for the 303 British. 125 grain bullet to 212 grain bullet. Typically 3 to 5 powders for each weight. Then with 4 or 5 US companies names listed in the equivalents chart it provides a wide range of possibilities. Was a life saver during the shortages, could usually find at least one of the US powders that was equivalent even if it wasn't the "popular" version. Couldn't find 2400 anyplace but AA4100 I was able to find, same powder when it left the factory

The Lee 312-160 also makes a decent 303 plinker if your rifle likes 312 diameter.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    You are not alone on this, Mine casts undersized too. Best I can get is .3105 with Lyman #2 and it isn't nearly fat enough for my Mosin. I moved on to different molds. Tried to make lemonade, no love.

Boolit Master
    Recently I “beagled” the mold with two layers of Aluminum tape, one on each mold half.
    This got the mold up to .3135-.314” and 185gr.

I tumble lubed them and loaded a few in 7.62x54 over 12.7gr GreenDot. The Mosin gagged on them; 50yd groups were a loose pattern. 12-15”.
    However, sized, gaschecked, and lubed with SPG sized .314”, over 34.0gr of H4895 they shot 2”groups. From the .303Brit, they went 1.25”.
    Satisfied now with the mold. However, it needs to be a 6-cavity.
    My 6-cavity .312”-160 is a favorite.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    I have suggested to Midsouth that they have LEE produce this (AND other molds, like the C309-113-F!) in a six-cav version. They eMailed back they'd pass the suggestion on to 'Marketing' or maybe it was 'Purchasing'. How about a group buy?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90369-01.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	222270

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35b7c087.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	222271

I would be happy to take this on as the Honcho. An exact clone in a solid only mold. Three configurations (3 Cavity Brass, C6 cavity Brass, 8 Cavity Aluminum "Lee Style") all in GC and PB. I would like an exact clone with no modifications.

Would need 25 sign ups to run.

If someone has the design software chime in...or I can get it cloned and ready to go. I will post in Group Buy Discussion in the next 24 hours.

We did the same with hollow pointing a Lee Exact Clone of the 358-200. See link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ster-Group-Buy
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Grand Master
    I might be interested if it would be a. 314-185/190.

Boolit Master

I would be interested only if it came in .316. My 91/30 has a huge bore, slugged at .315.

I would go further with this one, in my dreams i would get one in the same design but 2.3cc, 205gr, 0,317’’ body with 0,305’’ nose...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast