Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2400 published load data

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Just that Dyslexia could be why they dropped 2400 for the 45-70 (and a bunch of others) between 47 & 49... Any cartridge case that would allow a number inversion/volume increase of that magnatude was asking for a lawsuit... unfortunately.

I bought 49 and was terribly dissappointed when my favorite 2400 loads were missing. Glad I kept 47 as a "backup".
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master

.243 loads with 2400

Quote Originally Posted by 280Ackley View Post
    I see that 2400 is a very popular powder for loading midpower cartridges. I bought 4lbs this week for my 30's to try with a variety of projects this year. I have most of the load manuals published in the last 10 years and am finding very few published loads for CB's and 2400. Is there a published source for CB data other than the Lee and Lyman manuals?
    Since noone else mentioned Carpetman Ray's famous .243 load here, I'll do it.
    12.5 grains 2400 and the RCBS 95 grain boolit. Groups close right up with that combo.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    "I've got a 1974 eddition of the Lyman reloading manual. It gave a charge of 42 grains of 2400 under a 500 grain .458 bullet in a .45-70 for the Ruger #1."..Grapeshot

Grapeshot-- That load is clearly way way over the top and Lyman doesn't make those kinds of mistakes, so i dug out the books from that period.

Lyman No. 45 (1970) give a max charge of 30/2400/482 GC and 26/2400/552 GC (Win. 86 loads)
    Lyman No. 46 (1982) give a max charge of 34/2400/332 PBHP and 28/2400/464 PB (Ruger loads)

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1973) gives a max charge 27.5/2400/482 PB
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1980) gives a max charge of 27/2400/482 PB (Ruger section)

These are the only Lyman books from 1970 to 1983. I have every Lyman loading book as far back as 1932.

I don't know where you got that 42/2400/500 load, but it was not from Lyman, nor do I believe any other reliable published source. I wonder if you fliped those numbers from 24 to 42. I have a form of dislexia that flips numbers in a series and I wonder if that is what happened to you.

I have to write down hotel rooms, phone numbers, hospital rooms and powder charges and then double check. I will flip the numbers and swear that is what I read...not!

Anyway... Lyman should not eat the ofal on this one.
    I realize this is an old thread but I'm bumping it back up because there are a lot of new reloaders/casters these days. With all due respect, the gentleman that put a Ruger #1 load in a Remington Rolling Block is lucky his gun didn't explode and take his face with it. There are certain calibers that have different loads based on the type of gun they are to be fired in- and 45/70 probably has the largest spread. Be CERTAIN that the load you are making is appropriate for the type of gun, and that they don't get used by someone else in a weaker action. A load for a modern lever action 45/70 is not safe in trapdoor and rolling block-type actions; and those loads that are acceptable in Ruger #1's and modern bolt actions are not safe in lever action rifles.

Be safe!

John

I used 17.0 2400 with a 165 grain cast bullet in the 30-30, and got 1840fps out of a 16” Winchester 94. The bullet left a little lead in the bore. So, I dropped down to 15.5 2400 for about 1700fps. 15.5 seems to be the sweet spot for me with Cast 165’s and Berry Plated Bullets weighing 150. I have used between 14.5 and 17.0 2400 with good results in the 30-30.

Sorry just noticed this thread is very old. I will leave my post....

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, 1006!

I just picked up 8lb of 2400. I've used it a little before and will obviously be using it a lot more. Your 30-30 data is helpful to me (and others, I'm sure)!

Boolit Grand Master

If you have Alliant manuals, check the silhouette section.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Several "general loading" books such as Nonte's, Grennell's and the NRA's have sections on light loads. I learned handloading from Grennell's ABCs and Nonte's "Modern Handloading" and "Handloading for Handgunners" as well as the NRA "Reloading", and all those have light load data, mostly with Unique and 2400, plus some good data with the SR powders.
    I'd list off mine, but my loading log dating from 1975 to 2014 was lost in a move and I've had to start over from scratch.
    Ed <><

Boolit Buddy
    In my .308 and .30-40 I've found 2400 to be very effective at higher than the "starting load" in .30s of 16.0 gr . I found increasing the grains up a few makes a lot of accuracy difference. I've seen this effect also with 4198 and call it "getting on the step" where a one gr increase adds a lot to velocity and accuracy. I attribute this to finding an effective pressure where the powder burns more consistently.
    Some of the data I've recovered lists pressure tested loads way over what I'm using so I feel comfortable with my testing so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12