RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Help with Berry's 30 cal plated bullets

Help with Berry's 30 cal plated bullets

I have not shot cast bullets in many years and was considering paper patching to prevent leading but I have found Berrys MFG makes a plated 150 gr. .308 bullet that can be shot at 1700 fps.

Where can I find loading data for it?

Does any one have experience with this bullet?

In Remebrance

Welcome to the house. First off, Berrys SAYS they have a plated 150/.308 that can be shot at 1700. That doesn't mean your particular rifle will do it without leading. If you want to shoot them I'd get my barrel as clean as possible, remove all copper fouling especially, and start around 13.0 Red Dot or 16.0 gr 2400 and work up from there. If the boolit fits your rifle you should be able to get decent grouping till pressure signs start showing or the boolit can't take the pressure anymore. It's a place to start. If leading starts showing a swipe with 4/0 steel wool or Chore Boy copper scrubber on a brush will remove it easily.

I put very little faith in the run of the mill commercially cast boolits. That goes double for the "hardcast" types with rock hard lube.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you read on the box of Berry's , it tells you that the plating is subject to come off at certain velocities.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I think plated bullets fall somewhere between cast and jacketed as far as the way they build pressure. I would use cast data starting about 1200 - 1300 fps and work up from there. Your top speed is going to depend on twist, how smooth your bore is, etc. Push the bullet too hard and you will probably get copper fouling AND leading. If you have a good bore 1500 fps should be pretty easy to get and make a nice target and game load up to about coyote sized game.