RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Keep it and use it or get it to a collector?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it for my collection

9 47.37%
  • Keep it and don't worry about using it

9 47.37%
  • Trade it on an RCBS LAM II

0 0%
  • Sell it and use the money on an RCBS LAM II

1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Ideal Number 1 or 1892 sizer...

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Ideal Number 1 or 1892 sizer...

Would you use it for seating gas checks?
    I mean,is it likely to break the handle or should I sell it or trade it on a RCBS LAM II?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Moderator Emeritus

no better invention than the lee push through size dies for that and I might know where you could borrow one - what size ya need?
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Hmmm,me afraid!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Banned
    They were made until 1947/1948 so there is plenty of them out there. Still they are a good tool and do not often show up broken. At least I have never seen any. I do have one with a twisted rod, full 360 degrees, on the lube tightening rod.
    Ken

I use mine almost every day with original Ideal Black lube and its never missed a beat even seating GC's on my 30 cal boolits when I have to(I use with heat bulb.). They were made to use and if you dont like the handle make another but dont over do it. I use soft brass pins that shear before anything else breaks on the luber. Just make sure to keep the moving parts oiled with a little 3 in 1.
    Yep, I even have the original instruction sheet that came with it too(Not a copy.).

Last edited by mikenbarb; 02-27-2009 at 12:06 AM.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Mike,
    That is neat!

Boolit Master
    I just snaged one of these on ebay with the express purpose to put it to use sizing some pointed SWC boolits that I hope to have a GB mold for very soon!

It went cheap because it's missing a couple of parts, but I believe I can easily make the ones it needs!

After long and hard deliberation I bought this as a secondary tool to the pair of Stars I have simply because this will do a better job of protecting the points on the boolits.

I do have an original Lyman35893, which is a gas check design and I will have no fear of checking these on this unit!

As a matter of fact I think this design got a bit of "freshing" before it went on to be the Saeco sizer design for many years! As such I believe it is better built than either the 450 or the old 45 that replaced it, I won't go so far as to say it's better than the RCBS unit as I have never had the oppertunity to use or examine one.

Suffice it to say if you break this, and the parts were not simply worn out, your doing something way wrong!

Boolit Grand Master
    I just found one of these complete except for the wrench to pump the grease at the Nation's Gun Show in Chantilly, VA. The black paint has been worn off in a few places so there is some rust, but the nickel on the reservoir is about complete. I hope I can find or duplicate (as nearly as possible anyway) the wrench, and am trying to decide whether I want to repaint it or clean it up a little and leave as is. I'll be out of the country for a while, so I will just give it some thought while I am away. I don't suppose anybody has a wrench they would part with, do they?

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I don’t know why this came up again, but I just got my third one. The second was complete and I had found two wrenches since 2009 when this started so I was willing to buy the third (cheaply) just because it had the clamp.

I voted in the “collection” category not because I’m unwilling to use them (I do) but because the second response was “don’t worry...” and I use them sensibly, not for swaging vastly oversized bullets.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Back to the original question about applying gas checks, if I wanted to install the gas check on a bullet as it was undergoing minimal sizing, I wouldn’t worry about it. OTOH, if I had to go down several thousandths, then I would worry (and probably look for a different mould!) BTW, I would also use a modern sizing die to get the more gentle bevel at the opening.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Ol' Bubba did a pretty fair job on that one. I still prefer the original, non-ratcheting wrench so I can put pressure on, then back off so I don't get "blow by." In fact, that is one of the major advantages I see in the #1 vs the #45 that replaced it. I do love me a #1 lubricator!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have either 5 or 6 , I've lost count . I use them and have been doing so since I started loading in the mid 60's . I have never broke one yet . Never had any issues seating gas checks . I don't use them for real hard cast bullets I also have 3 45's and 2 RCBS sizers .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, JonB, that press has led a hard life! I guess it just goes to show how well designed it was originally to withstand such “slings and arrows of cruel fate.” Did it come with the proper clamp?

Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Yep, JonB, that press has led a hard life! I guess it just goes to show how well designed it was originally to withstand such “slings and arrows of cruel fate.” Did it come with the proper clamp?

Froggie
    Honestly, I can't remember?
    I've had 3 of these, and each came with different missing accessories. I did keep a proper Clamp for this one. I had another clamp that looked different, but worked ok...that went with one of them, when I sold it.

I did have a proper wrench/handle, but after making a few of the adaptors for use with modern Ratchet handle, I much prefer them to the original/proper wrench/handle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I size and seat checks in a push thru die before I run it through my No. 1s..... they are just grease guns. No wear or heavy use to them. They should last longer than me.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.