Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firing 9x19 in 40 S&W

Boolit Master

Here's an example of the wrong ammo in another chamber. This one is a .308 fired in a .280 chamber. It was a Rem. 7400 280. It tied up the action, but with a cleaning rod and some pulling on the bolt handle, the shell was extracted. No damage to the rifle, it went on to work just fine with the correct ammo. This was my lame brained nephew. His wife's rifle was a M-100 .308, the shells got mixed up, he was distracted when loading.

My wife and I were out at a local major manufacturer one weekend trying out a potential purchase. She wanted to buy a 9mm, so we tried it out on the range.

After 3 shots of the gun not cycling on her, and seeing one of the cartridges, I checked the stamp on the barrel to see that they had handed her a .40 with 9mm ammo.

They were very nice about it, and seeing the reaction of the brass and how well the gun held up I'd have NO problem purchasing either of the guns. Actually she came home that day with a 9mm. I'd have no question on picking up a .40 at some later point.
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

A friend, knowing I reload 7x57, recently gave me a box of empty 7mm Mauser brass. When I looked at them, I realized his rifle was actually chambered for 8x57. When he inherited the rifle, he was told it was a 7mm. I ended up with several boxes of free ammo. Felt so bad for him I loaded up a batch of 8x57 for him. These, he reports, are much more accurate than the 7mm he had been using.

PD

Wrong brass still shoots

I was amused seeing the pics of the .40 bullets coming out'a 9x19 brass

I have a CZ52 I reload for and it has a 9mm bbl and the 7.62 x 25 bbl.

I learned to shoot with the 9mm bbl and when I started reloading 7.62 x 25 to try it out in the CZ 52 I was puzzled to see all my bullets arrived at the paper SIDEWAYS

Looking at my feet I saw the 7.62 x 25 brass had transmogrified into 9x19 mm brass.

Say WHAT?

I forgot to replace the 9mm bbl. with the 7.62 x 25 bbl

DOH!

yodar

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    Boerrancher;

I saw something similar about twenty years ago. I was working at a retail gun shop, and one of the counter guys called me up front to look over an incoming trade.

The weapon in question was a .30 caliber Broomhandle; ….which I looked over, checked the bore, and field stripped, ...looking for any obvious problems.

I saw nothing unusual with the weapon, and told the counter guy that it looked OK.

The counter guy then asked me; "What caliber is that anyway???"

I told him; "...Just standard .30 caliber Mauser."

At this point, the customer chimed in; "OH NO!!! .....It's 9mm Luger!!!"

With a little further questioning, the customer adamantly stated that "....I HAVE ALWAYS SHOT 9MM LUGER OUT OF THAT GUN!"

The man was completely serious!

To this day, I marvel at the fact that that poor old Broomhandle put up with that nonsense!

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

look at the 308 in a 30-06....now that is some case forming LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ept000 View Post
    This is what it looks like when you are dumb enough to fire 9mm in a 357 sig.

Is 357 is basically a 9mmm projectile neck down in a 40 cal case?

Back in my younger days of not knowing any better I fired one 9x19 out of a 9x18 makarov. It has some how got in the bag of surplus I was shooting. Fired fine but didn't cycle. After tugging on it a bit it came open and the slightly longer, slightly tapped case of the 9x19 had a slight bottleneck.... from being partly wedged inside the first millimeter of barrel. I count my lucky stars on that one. Could have been nasty.
    Last edited by sheepdog; 03-14-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    That blown-out .308 case has interesting potential. It could probably stand some annealing at this point.

Paul

Boolit Master
    You don't have to be a rocket scientist to handload but there are many areas that if not watched carefully can cause problems for your weapon and your own personal health. I have never gone as far as the pics you guys have shown but by accident I did try to seat a large pistol primer in a 357 case once. Just grabbed the wrong box of primers and started to seat them. Still haven't got that primer out of the primer guide.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    My brother-in-law shot some of my .41 Mag. midrange loads through my .44 magnum once. Same bulge, but I was able to run them through the carbide sizer and re-use them. They're still going strong. No splits.
    Friend of my Dad's fired a full-house .44 Mag load in his Ruger .45 BH, maybe with the ACP cylinder installed. Case split full length; friend decided to call it a day.
    FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann edlmann@embarqmail.com

Always remember this: "The wind may blow in many directions, but only God can make a tree."

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1862.png

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
    Friend of my Dad's fired a full-house .44 Mag load in his Ruger .45 BH, maybe with the ACP cylinder installed. Case split full length; friend decided to call it a day.
    I did something very similar. I was playing with Blue Dot in both .44 mag and .45 Colt, and had both loads out on the bench. The load was the same for both--15.5 grains of Blue Dot, under a SWC (240 grain for the .44, and 255 grain for the .45).

I fired a cylinder full through my .45 Redhawk, and only the 6th split on me. The other 5 actually sounded normal, but I noticed that they didn't group worth a darn. I learned a valuable lesson in paying attention that day.

Mike

found at range 7mm-08 fired in 7 WSM

Paul Graham
    Clean-um, Prep-um, Pack-um, Load-um, Bang-um

Boolit Grand Master
    "maybe some will learn that most semi auto pistols, while from the drawing they head space on the chamber mouth, in real life they are held close to the breech face by the EXTRACTOR."

Mike, the semiauto pistol rounds when fired in the proper chamber do headspace on the case mouth.

However, they may be fired in the wrong chamber when the extractor holds them by the breechface.

Don't assume since they can be fired the wrong way by the extractor headspacing the incorrect round that they headspace by the extractor when in the right chamber.

They do not. This "extractor headspacing the round" idea with proper ammo in the proper chamber has been killed off as a notion for quite awhile. FWIW.

Boolit Master

+1 for 35Rem...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    i came across a guy at the range firing 9x18 from a beretta 92. it seemed to function fine.
    the guy he bought it from gave him a bag of 500 9x18 that "goes with it".

After posting the above I thought I wouldnt be visited by this topic again. But this weekend my buddy, a long long time shooter shot his "new" Colt series 80 at the range with me. This guy is normally very careful but in his haste of grabbing a partial box of 45 mix from the bargain bin he didn't check all the rounds. If he had he would have noticed the 40 S&W mixed in. Sure enough it popped in the chamber and expanded like in the pictures with three nice parallel rips in the brass like tiger scratches. Scary stuff. You could tell he was embarrassed but all I could do was compliment from on his new dual caliber automatic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12