RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cigarette rollers

The "humpback" machine pictured in post#36 above is one of the two types I obtained years ago. The humpback I have will roll a stogie-sized smoke by adjusting the length of the belt. I acomplished that by moving the fastening points of the rods that go through the sleeves in each end of the rubberized belt. Instead of drilling a bunch of holes and potentially weakening the frame, though, I'd check out some kind of fine-tuned adjustment to accommodate any diameter boolit desired. The length of the belt could be adjusted by rolling up one end like a window blind, rolling up the belt would shorten its length for paper patching .277 boolits, unrolling some of the belt to paper patch much larger .458 boolits. The mechanism for rolling up the belting could be done pretty easily by replacing one of the rods with a length of 1/16" diameter steel welding rod wire bent triple like a hair pin with an extra leg so it will have a pin sticking out each end to go through the existing holes in the rolling machine frame. I need to dig out my rolling machine and try it.

rl520
    Last edited by Linstrum; 03-22-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Mold
    The humpback was really tight on a.44. Running slug through bowed the rods that holds the belt. The belt has some stretch to it so the tail was crimped over the base some.
    I really need to take some time and play with it but it looks promising.

Hey, there, jaydee1445, on your humpback, take one of the rods off that fastens the belt and then hold on to it with your fingers while rolling up one of your .44s. Keep tension on it by pulling on it gently while operating the roller lever.

I still haven't found my old humpback to try it out myself, but I'll bet that with a little practice you may find you don't need both ends of the belt fastened to the machine for it to work. A spring might work to tension the belt instead of pulling on it with your fingers; the spring could be fastened to the belt by making up a yoke out of coat hanger wire for the ends of the rod to go through, with the other end of the spring fastened to a board with the humpback machine mounted on the board with some wood screws. The spring wouldn't need to be powerful at all, a screen door spring would probably be way too much.

rl523
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Linstrum, thanks for the idea, I've been watching this thread and now I have something to try that may make big difference. I have the Humpback, so I will experiment.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master

Now we are seeing what we need to see, innovation. One of you guys needs to put up a video of using one of the rollers.

Boolit Buddy
    Any update on using these rollers for larger (.40+) calibers?

I don't need no stickin machine!!

Patchedbullets by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"