Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Choate or Tacstar magazine extensions???

Boolit Master

Choate or Tacstar magazine extensions???

Anyone have a preference for a specific brand of shotgun magazine tube extensions? Looking to install a flashlight mount (Elzetta ZSM-T) on either a Mossberg 835 or a Remington 1100.

Winelover

Lot's of articles, including equipment reviews:
    Remington 870 Blog
    Here's an archived review of magazine extensions, including Choate and TacStar:
    Magazine Extension Reviews
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!

Boolit Buddy
    I've used both and seen many others with both of those and they seem to work just fine.

Boolit Master
    If you have a late model 870, just remember to remove the two 'tabs' that protrude into the mag tube before installing your extension. The gun won't feed with extra rounds in the extension tube with the tabs still in place.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    If you have a late model 870, just remember to remove the two 'tabs' that protrude into the mag tube before installing your extension. The gun won't feed with extra rounds in the extension tube with the tabs still in place.
    I flattened the "tabs" or "dimples" using a 5/8" socket, 1/2" square drive, and a pair of Vice-Grips, curved jaws that were just wide enough to still fit in the drive hole of the socket. I placed the socket in the mag tube with the square drive hole facing out, inserted the vice grip jaws, and clamped down, being careful to stay on the dimple area, and moving the socket in and out a tiny bit at a time. I tightened the jaws incrementally until I couldn't keep "Mashing" the dimple without touching the outside surface of the mag tube with the jaw.
    Then I repeated this operation on the other side. After all this, I used a 1/2" diameter drum sander on a Dremel to gently grind off the remaining dimple inside, just enough to the follower could slide past the dimples.
    THEN I went ahead and polished the altered inside areas with a 1/2" felt bob on the Dremel using only jewelers rouge. The last step was to clean the tube out with a mineral spirits dampened cloth (best reason to save old 100% COTTON Tee shirts), blew it out with a hair dryer set on low heat, then swabbed it with Johnsons Paste Wax, and polished any excess wax with another old Tee shirt scrap.
    Easy-Peasy!
    Good luck,
    Mark
    Any way you sell it,
    No matter how you spell it,
    When you start to smell it,
    BO Stinks!