Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipper Talk

Dipper Talk

You've all been a big help so far, and I think some of you enjoy helping spend my money too!

If I can run one more thing by you all, its dippers or ladles. Not a big cost item, and a guy can afford to get what he wants, but what does he really want? For instance, MTWeatherman just educated me on the "pressure filling" procedure to fill out a mold more effectively, and I hadn't given that a thought. So I do want a dipper that has a spigot matching well to the mould. This definately narrows the choice, and other designs that I'd looked at like the "Rowell Ladle" don't provide that function nearly as well. http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm

I'm sure a longer sturdy handle with a good wood grip is important, and I also like the idea of drawing the molten lead from below the pouring surface. This might be a good feature to help keep impurities out of your casting. Well, the choice narrows down to the one I made, The RCBS Dipper!

Good choice? If not, please tell me now, I have to get this order away soon.

There's one other glitch, I'm definately left-handed. Ambidextrous in many ways, but not casting. The RCBS dipper seems to have a heavy boss on the left side that I can tap into if required. Don't suppose they make a left handed model?

Well, how did I do? Was my head on straight in thinking this one out?
    Brushy

Brush Buster---No left hand models available. You'll have to learn to cast standing on your head.

Generous Donator

Brush Buster

The older RCBS was ambidxtrous it was taped and pluged.

Be carefull Dye

Boolit Grand Master

I don't suppose anyone has tried to put a "nozzle" on one of the smaller Rowells? That would REALLY be nice.

Dale53

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Brush Buster, I am left handed and use the RCBS ladle. It has two advantages over the Lyman in that it is large enough to support my four-cavity H&G .45 cal. 200 gr. SWC mould, and the fin on the bottom edge helps me to rake the dross out of the way between fillings so that I am always dipping from a clean place.

My left-handed casting technique with right-handed equipment is: hold mould in left hand and ladle in right. Fill mould, either slopover or connected, depending on what the particular mould prefers. Leave ladle in pot, switch mould to right hand, pick up mould mallet, cut sprue and drop boolits. Lay mallet down, switch mould back to left hand, pick up ladle in right hand, rake dross aside, and repeat. pot is on right end of bench, with sprue box in middle and boolit dropping pad on left. This requires a slide step to the left and back to the right for each casting cycle. (I always cast standng up, so that I can run if necessary, not wishing to experience a lapful of alloy.) Like most of what I do, it is a learned adaptation to a right handed world. But then, so is driving a car, typing, rapid fire with standard bolt actions, and a number of other activities. One trick that helps is to mount the blocks "backwards" in the handles or where possible switch the sprue cutter to the opposite side.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Smile

Hi BrushBuster. I'm lefthanded too. I converted my RCBS ladle for lefthanded use by drilling and tapping a hole on the other side. Then I put a bolt in the old hole.
    Works great.

Jocke

You lefties need special everything. They even make left handed playing cards. Is there left handed toilet paper?

Boolit Buddy
    Sure wish for left handed toilet paper! Once I hurt my right wrist so bad that I had to switch-over to using my left hand. It was "a pain in the ass" without left-handed paper!!!

Urban

Boolit Master
    Brushbuster .... One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the handle of the dipper. You definately want one with wood on the handle. Those Rowell dippers look like they are gonna get real warm real fast.
    Nighthunter

Boolit Buddy
    My Rowell ladle has a proper wood handle. I ordered the ladle with a vertical hole. This way I could bend the rod a bit up, so that I can use it with my 20 lb Lee drip-o-matic if I should like to ladle cast instead of bottom pouring. The scoop will reach down real deep into the pot. Works fine...

Urban

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carpetman
    You lefties need special everything. They even make left handed playing cards. Is there left handed toilet paper?
    Carpetman, I'm surprised at you that you didn't know about the lefthanded toilet paper. Almost everyone knows to convert right hand toilet paper to left hand use you put the roll on the dispenser backwards so the loose leaf of paper hangs over the rear, not the front like in right hand mode.

Joe
    P.S. No I'm not lefthanded.

Starmetal---Despite contrary belief,there is no right and wrong way to put a roll of toilet paper on the spool---it's strictly a matter of preference. Even Emily Post didn't set rules on that one. Know the difference in Navy toilet paper and Air Force or Army paper? It's 6 inches wider to allow for the roll of the ship. Notice I didn't include the Marines? Well they don't get their training on usage until sometimes after boot camp.

Boolit Master
    ROTFLMAO Carpetman. I've been there and seen the wider paper needed. When they weren't using it for toilet paper they used it for reports or you could write a letter home.
    Nighthunter

UTK---I think you discovered the reason there is no left handed toilet paper. Righties hold it in their right hand and lefties use their left hand??????????? I'm sure Curmudgeon will clarify this.

Banned
    carpetman,

On the destroyer I was on the toilets flushed into a pipe that went through the hull of the ship from port to starboard so that if the ship was taking a roll the kaka would flow out one of the ends. Well there's been times when alot of us had been sitting on the crapper taking care of business and usually in heavy seas with the ship going up and down in the water, there's going to be times when sea water is forced back up the piping and you get your ass washed GOOD!!!! How gawdamn disgusting it was I remember.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal
    carpetman,

On the destroyer I was on the toilets flushed into a pipe that went through the hull of the ship from port to starboard so that if the ship was taking a roll the kaka would flow out one of the ends. Well there's been times when alot of us had been sitting on the crapper taking care of business and usually in heavy seas with the ship going up and down in the water, there's going to be times when sea water is forced back up the piping and you get your ass washed GOOD!!!! How gawdamn disgusting it was I remember.

Joe

Didn't I hear stories about guys lighting wads of newspaper and floating it back and forth in that pipe? CarpetMan would have done that but the Air Farce had their latrines on planes. He just dropped brown ice bombs on people...

I shall not bring up the subject of being left-handed again!!
    Brushy

Boolit Buddy
    Brushbuster
    NVCurmudgeon already listed the advantages to the RCBS.

I've used the same Lyman for about 40 years and it is ambidextrous. That well may have changed in recent years although current pictures seem to indicate the same handle. Its held up well.

You may want to check out the Lyman if converting the RCBS is more effort than you want to invest. However, if that handle will not pose a problem...your choice is a good one.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrushBuster
    I shall not bring up the subject of being left-handed again!!
    Brushy
    You would be wise not to mention anything about sheep also!...from what I've seen around here.....mic

Boolit Master

LH Ladle

Why don't you cut the handle off at the ladle and get it welded on the opposite side?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast