RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
PBcastcoInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Ball Revisited!

I am very familar with Center Hill as I was born in Wildwood and grew up in Bushnell. I am also very familar with Grren Swamp, etc.
    Now...If you live in a woodland area or near a river...if you do not have hogs, wait awhile, they are on the way.
    I do not agree that wild hogs are a curse.....what about cayotes (sp), fire ants, big snakes, etc. They are just another group od animals. I have said many times that the real wild boar hog is this county's dangerous game. I am not taliking abour the small 1st generation feral hog, but rather a full growm wild Tusker.......James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Boolit Bub
    well I now live in ohio in the late 70's early 80's we did not have coyotes we did have a lot more rabbits, ringneck pheasant, quail and fox In 1981 I trapped and shot 90 foxes and saw many more Today we have coyotes no pheasants fewer rabbit very few quail and I have not seen more than 2-3 foxes in the last 2 years. If I'm out hunting and see a coyote no matter what I am hunting at the time . I switch to coyote hunting. by the way the 20 ga slugs I got from you will just flat ruin a coyotes day

My late son and I took hunter safety course at the wildwood trading post. Things were going on that made My wife want to raise our son back up north so we left.
    There is an other wildlife management area down in that area that I hunted, jumper creek maybe
    Roy

Boolit Bub
    A question for James. Have you ever used or shot a tri-ball load from a rifled muzzle loader. My .50 cal with 1-28 rifling shoots two balls into an inch at fifty yards and I am interested in trying three but thought I would look around for advice before I do something stupid.

Boolit Grand Master
    Smoke73

Speaking out of my hat, my concerns would be that the throw weight (weight of three balls, weight of three patches, and the increased friction ie. drag of three balls against the barrel) be adjusted for the powder charge. There was an article written by Jerry K Cunningham titled, "Destructive Testing Of Muzzleloading Rifle Barrels" that used multiple ball loads to investigate barrel strengths. It was clearly advised that it wasn't a loading manual, but rather a destructive test report. It's results would be of interest to you. Don't know if it's still available. You might check:
    Jerry K. Cunningham
    Montana Barrel Co.
    1694 Whalebone Dr.
    Kalispell, Montana 59901

Deleted my thoughts on this....

waiting to hear others.

I think I will try this though this spring.

I have not used multi-ball loads in a muzzleloader. We just finished testing many bullet/powder types in inline muzzleloaders. Upcoming manuscript will cover details....Regards. James
    Dixie Slugs (dixieslugs.com)-Home of the Dixie Terminator

Banned

Bump for Alaskanguy

Thanks morty...

Banned

Welcome

Banned

Bump.

sorry hit the wrong button

Boolit Buddy
    Dixie Slug: With all the shortages in powder right now, the following observation in your post #31 on this thread caught my eye.
    /
    "Now....Primex 513 is getting hard to get and we are now testing Primex 516 (Lil'Gun). 28 grains of Blue Dot equals 28 grains of Primex 513 equals 32 grains of Primex 516 (LiL'Gun)....all are the same volume for crimp index with a rolled crimp and pressure."
    /
    At the time of posting, you had not finished safety testing the Lil'Gun.
    /
    I have several pounds of LIL GUN and have never considered that it might be subbed for Blue Dot. Have you any further guidance on the use of LIL GUN?
    /
    thanks in advance
    rc

Boolit Bub
    fixing to order all the components for triball loads. one question before I do, in the 3" load you use blue dot and Steel in the 3.5" since you are shooting the same loads and wads can I use 28 grains of steel instead of blue dot in the 3" load? I have a lot of steel and blue dot has disappeared no one has it for sale.

In Remembrance

Maybe PM RMc for the info, although 28gr Steel instead of Blue Dot sounds reasonable to me. Maybe he will answer this thread too. But he does respond to PMs.
    Of course, now that Dixie is up and running again, you can PM James Gates himself.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Bub
    thank you I sent both of them PM's.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbs383ci View Post
    thank you I sent both of them PM's.
    Any response?

Boolit Bub
    Yes sorry. Was recommended to have the shells tested since steel has a high pressure spike when trying to push heavy loads

Boolit Mold
    Hi Everyone,
    Anyone know of the status of Dixie Slugs? Need some Tri Ball and his web site is not up.
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buster85 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Anyone know of the status of Dixie Slugs? Need some Tri Ball and his web site is not up.
    Thanks

It's working for me.

Boolit Bub

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast