Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acquired two pounds of ?unknown? powder.

I'm sorry, I typed in AA2250. Got the numbers backwards.

I checked what I wrote down on the can, and it's indeed AA2520.Which I believe was actually developed specifically for .308 in M1A rifles.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    http://www.idsabooks.com/cgi-bin/idb...ml?id=AuUqptq9
    Found these books by the author bieng discussed.

Boolit Master

deleted
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Maybe we're all dyslexic.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

It would make for one of the most important components of a Dupont Fishing Lure.

Jim
    My anger management classes are pissing me off!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I can use any powder.

The 32 pounds of Surplus Bulk lot of IMR4895 behaves just like H322 predictions in Quickload, way faster than canister IMR4895.

Someone gave me two pounds of Herter's 164.
    No data anywhere, but I did find out it was really = Nobel 64.
    No Data on that.

So I started out like it was Bullseye and worked my way up.
    It turns out to be more like Unique.

I will not pay $25/ pound for unknown powder, as once I get it working just right, I can't get any more.

But I will pay something for any unknown powder.

Obviously this is not for people who just use book load data.
    I can work up to pressure sign and back off a safety margin with no risk to me, the gun, or others.

Most people can't.

Exactly Clark, I found approx 10lb. of unknown powder at a local gunshop very close to gunfreaks description, did my homework and testing and used it for several seasons for cowboy sillouette. Worked great for cast boolits, very accurate, but dirty. I believe it was probably from pulled millitary .50 cal. very slow burning. I was told to spread it on the garden too, but refused. My signifcant other and I did alot of shooting with our 30-30s super cheap, with no signs of pressure, or danger of any type.

Boolit Master
    And as I've said before, it will make agreat "bee powder"
    .45LC in a SAA revolver use 2-3 grains of unknown powder, top with a styrofoam wad, fill the rest of the way with corn cob(from the cleaning bucket!) then another styrofoam wad. Very lightly crimp to hold the wad in place. (Might need to drill out the primer hole to 1/8" or so, mark the cases so they don't get mixed up.)
    FUN! on the bumblebees(carpenter bees?)! If you are like me, and hate what those suckers do to your sheds, etc, then you know what I mean. In fact if you hit one square on, he vaporizes in a gooey yellow flash! Practice your eye-hand coordination. Fun!
    Of course you never heard this from me, and YMMV...............
    Last edited by Lee; 05-21-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: clarification
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I can use any powder.

The 32 pounds of Surplus Bulk lot of IMR4895 behaves just like H322 predictions in Quickload, way faster than canister IMR4895.

Someone gave me two pounds of Herter's 164.
    No data anywhere, but I did find out it was really = Nobel 64.
    No Data on that.

So I started out like it was Bullseye and worked my way up.
    It turns out to be more like Unique.

I will not pay $25/ pound for unknown powder, as once I get it working just right, I can't get any more.

But I will pay something for any unknown powder.

Obviously this is not for people who just use book load data.
    I can work up to pressure sign and back off a safety margin with no risk to me, the gun, or others.

Most people can't.
    Thats great i have a full, unopened can of Nobel 64! I was beginning to think the tin can was worth more than its contents!
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Master

I have posted this on several threads. Sometime bacK, I went to an estate sale. Found nothing inside of interest. Saw people going in and out of an out building. Went over, the fellow was a shotgun reloader. Tons of shotgun wads, hulls, and equipment. Found an open 8 lb. jug of Scot 1250, 3/4 full, $15.00 or so. Got it. Posted a query here about it. A kind person gave me the load data on it. Perfect for 380, 9mm, 38/357, 45, etc. Loaded medium loads, chronographed, performed to data. Loaded a ton of it. Wish they still made it.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Clark - "So I started out like it was Bullseye and worked my way up". If I was going to test it that is exactly the baseline I'd use - Bullseye.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I have on three occasions ended up with large lots of unknown powder. Being too cheap to throw out 3 8lb jugs or in another case 25lbs of unknown. I did the "treat it like a very fast powder" and load 3grs in a 22H case with a 40gr boolit and fire it. Check for pressure signs and move up to 5 grs. Keep moving up until pressure shows and move up to a 223 case when the 22H is a full case and no pressure. If the 223 case fills without pressure, move up to a 308. Sooner or later you will hit pressure signs unless it's 5010 like the 25lb jug I got. A 416 Rem with a case full and a 365gr cast still shows very low pressure so I started adding kicker charges of AA9 and ended up with a good load for the 416 that cleaned up the unburned powder and still showed rounded primers.
    I am NOT recommending this for anyone else. I tried a full case of 5010 in a 308 case and experienced a bit more pressure than I liked. Experimenting without proper pressure equipment can surprise you. If I decide to go with 5010 in a 308, I will start with a case about 80% filled instead of full.

Banned
    I recently ended up with a 5 pound container oh Herter's 160 powder. Looking through their old data I found it only listed as a 12 gauge powder. Nothing else. I don't shoot shotguns.

So, looking at another powder that listed nearly identical velocity and pressure I found Red Dot to be the closest though 160 uses about 1.5 grains more powder to equal Red Dot loads. So I have a starting point and loaded some Red Dot and 160 in 30-06 behind a 180 cast boolit. It works, and very well. Now, just to find enough primers to equal 5 pounds of powder loaded at 11 grains per load.
    Ken

Pressman my average load with Red dot is 4.6 grains. I need twice as many darn near 3 times as many as you do. And I'm sitting on 30 lbs! Primer prices will either drop or not. Either way I have enough of everything for at least 20k loads not counting what is already loaded.

Life is good!
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12