RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Browning HighWall questions

Boolit Master

Browning HighWall questions

After Boommer (a member here) got me hooked into shooting BP in a Trapdoor, I've been thinking of getting another rifle with more proper dimensions to better test my casting and reloading techniques.
    Anyone have much experience with the Browning single-shots?? How are the barrels dimensions. I've never owned a Browning of any sort but I believe they are or at least were known for quality stuff. I guess the HighWalls are made in Japan by Mirokou. I assume I could get some better sights as they come with a simple buckhorn and I'd want to try some type of tang and maybe a globe front. Just looking for opinions on quality and barrel/chamber dimensions.
    The one thing I never liked on Brownings was the wood...so much epoxy (or whatever) finish the stocks feel like plastic..but I guess I could overlook that. Oh by the way, I would probably be looking for a 45/70. Thanks for any input.

Boolit Bub
    It sounds like you are talking about the Browning "Hunter" models and not the BPCR models they made a few years ago. I have two "Hunter" models, a 38-55 and a 45-90. Both are nice guns, well made, glossy blued, oct. barrels, shiney stocks, and semi-buckhorn rear and bead front sights. If you are a little more serious about it, and maybe want to compete a little at some point, the Browning BPCR's can still be found. I have two of those too, one in 40-65 and the other in 45-70. They came with quality Badger barrels and a decent set of vernier rear and spirit level globe (with a set of inserts) front sights. The actions and buttplate are color case hardened with matte blue half oct./half round barrels. The wood is a pretty good grade of black walnut with a matte finish. IMO the BPCR would better test your casting and reloading. One may run you a little more than the ones you are thinking about, but there is a big difference and would be about 50-60% of what an American made High Wall (equally equipped) by Sharps or one of the others. If you have never seen one, I'm sure you could Google up a picture.

Boolit Grand Master

Like Crooked Creek, I too have two Brownings. My main gun that I used for several years competing in BPCR Silhouette is a 40/65. With a scope (for testing) it will shoot 6" groups at 500 yards (in front of witnesses). It will regularly best 1" at 100 yards with straight black powder (Swiss) and my cast bullets. As issued they are nearly a perfect BPC Rifle. The only fly in the ointment was a trigger less than perfect. However, I managed to solve that and if anyone desires the "Fix" write me direct and I will send you clear directions how you or your gunsmith can "Fix" the trigger and give you a near perfect 2.0 lb pull.

My other one is a Browning Creedmoor in 45/90 a superb long range rifle.

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    The Browning BPCR would be a fine choice. Accurate, heavy, usable sights stock. I hope to have mine forever. The octagon barreled model, Traditional Hunter or whichever. is much lighter, and most don't have tangs for mounting upgraded sights. Mine (since traded) was an accurate rifle, but too punishing for long strings with heavy .45 target loads.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input. Maybe the BPCR is the way to go if I can find one.

Take a look at Cimarron High Walls. They have very good barrels and are available in a number of calibers. The wood is nice - very good on the higher grades and they are finished like the originals. They are made by Uberti. I have a doubleset trigger model in .30-40 Krag. It is much heavier than the .45 cals but it makes a great cast rifle for target use.

The BPCRs are the way to go if, as you say, you can find one.

Sights are made by Precision machining in Utah -- repeatable and solid. Barrel is made by Badger Barrels in Wisconsin -- arguably the best barrels made. Wood is highly figured American walnut. Mirouku assembles all this on their receivers -- arguably the best steel and heat treating in the gun industry. If you get one, you'll be prepared for all ranges and disciplines associated with black powder shooting.

The Hunter model, while historically correct, is VERY UNCOMFORTABLE to shoot in the 45-70 chambering.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    I have a Browning that I would sell for about the same price as one of them low end import jobies.
    Go ahead and price the imports then if your interested in the Borwning PM me.
    You aughta have a little chat with our beloved Buckshot about the nightmare he is having with his high end import.
    BIC/BS

I've got a Browning BPCR in 45-70 for sale, I've went to the .38's (38-50 Rem and 38-55) for my BPCR shooting, so it just sits in the safe. Been used in both NRA Black Powder Silhouette and Cowboy Long Range shooting, but it's still in very good to excellent condition and shoots very well. It also has a Lee Shaver trigger job on it. Still have the original box and sight case that came with the model. I'll second what's been said about the Traditional Hunter model, it's hard on the shoulder with heavy loads. I started at 40 grs and was going up to 50 with 3031 and a 405 gr bullet and I quit at 45 grs, and even that was too much for me. The curved steel butt plate is a killer and all the Browning Hi Walls that have a shotgun butt and pad don't have a tang for a tang sight. I think the Traditional Hunter is better suited to the 38-55 loading.
    McLintock