Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: The magnificent and discontinued RCBS 45-300-SWC

Boolit Buddy

The magnificent and discontinued RCBS 45-300-SWC

How RCBS could discontinue this mold is beyond me, it's one of the best shooting bullets I have used in several 45-caliber revolvers. I Have bought 3 of this mold, and currently own two of them. I bought the first a couple of decades ago, it was a fine and accurate mold but it would drop bullets around .456" and I had a hard time sizing them down to .452". I wish I kept the mold anyway, but unfortunately I sold it. Then I bought another one, which was also a fine caster. Bullets were almost perfectly round, but one cavity dropped bullets that were 2-3 grains heavier than the other. Not a huge problem, but when I saw another one for sale, I jumped on it. And that last one is just perfect. Bullets are less than .0005" out of round, and drop right around .453". These bullets are right up there with my LBT 300 LFNGC when it comes to accuracy, and it's in a durable iron mold to boot. I wish RCBS would make gang molds, I would have bought all of them. For some reason I prefer casting with the RCBS molds over any of the other iron mold producers, and they don't rust nearly as quickly as for example my Lyman molds. Anyone else had great results with this mold?

I like the RCBS 45-270-SAA.

Boolit Buddy
    It's also a magnificent bullet, but I feel that the 45-300-SWC is more versatile for my uses, I shoot a lot of .454 Casull and hot .45 Colt stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbo View Post
    How RCBS could discontinue this mold is beyond me, it's one of the best shooting bullets I have used in several 45-caliber revolvers. I Have bought 3 of this mold, and currently own two of them. I bought the first a couple of decades ago, it was a fine and accurate mold but it would drop bullets around .456" and I had a hard time sizing them down to .452". I wish I kept the mold anyway, but unfortunately I sold it. Then I bought another one, which was also a fine caster. Bullets were almost perfectly round, but one cavity dropped bullets that were 2-3 grains heavier than the other. Not a huge problem, but when I saw another one for sale, I jumped on it. And that last one is just perfect. Bullets are less than .0005" out of round, and drop right around .453". These bullets are right up there with my LBT 300 LFNGC when it comes to accuracy, and it's in a durable iron mold to boot. I wish RCBS would make gang molds, I would have bought all of them. For some reason I prefer casting with the RCBS molds over any of the other iron mold producers, and they don't rust nearly as quickly as for example my Lyman molds. Anyone else had great results with this mold?

Can you tell me the crimp to nose length on that RCBS mold. I am going to hunt one.

Good looking bullets and cartridge. I wasn't aware of that bullet, thanks for sharing. I can't imagine why they would discontinue it.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I like the RCBS 45-270-SAA.
    My go to boolit as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Good looking bullets and cartridge. I wasn't aware of that bullet, thanks for sharing. I can't imagine why they would discontinue it.
    Certainly. The overall length of the bullet is .815" and the nose length is .350".

Boolit Buddy
    I lucked into a nice 45-300-SWC about 3 years ago for $25. Couldn't whip out the money fast enough. LOL

Certainly. The overall length of the bullet is .815" and the nose length is .350".
    Nice, thank you. I'd be glad to add it to BulletMatch if you want to send a couple of well cast samples.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    I lucked into a nice 45-300-SWC about 3 years ago for $25. Couldn't whip out the money fast enough. LOL
    That's a heck of a score, congratulations.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead72 View Post
    Great score! I got one for $69 with RCBS handles, and thought it was a great deal too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Nice, thank you. I'd be glad to add it to BulletMatch if you want to send a couple of well cast samples.
    I'd be happy to do it, but unfortunately I am located overseas. I am sure someone else can send you a few samples.

Boolit Buddy
    Great score! I got one for $69 with RCBS handles, and thought it was a great deal too.
    Yes, sounds like you got a great deal, too. You basically got a free set of $30-35 handles.

I'd be happy to do it, but unfortunately I am located overseas. I am sure someone else can send you a few samples.
    Well thank you for the thought anyway.

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master

I have that mole but the gas check part has been milled off!
    Casts at 250 grains now.