Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Elephant powder source? Ohio?

Elephant powder source? Ohio?

I usually get my "cheap" black powder from a friend of mine who does a lot of civil war reenacting. I do gun work for him and his rifles and he keeps me in black powder. Until recently, he has really been dropping the ball on me lately. The guy with the reenacting outfit he runs with I think gets their black powder from a fireworks store either in Ohio or in Indiana? Like a big bag of it or lots of tins. then they split it up..its rather cheap and my sharps actually shoots ok with it out to 200 yards. Anybody give me a known source for this stuff around NW Ohio? I know where I can get tons of cannon grade stuff...but that doesn't work for the sharps so well lol
    My firearms project blog

Super Moderator

..............Elephant Powder company hasn't been in business for a couple years. I'm thinking 3-4 years as a matter of fact.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Wonderwolf, In this part of the country the reinactors of the Civil War use the cannon grade of BP. They use 5FA which has a lot of grains in the 3Fg range. The 4FA has a lot of the 1Fg range grains. I have used the 5FA in CAS without a problem. Plenty of fire and smoke for the short distance we shoot. I've just finished loading some shotgun shells with the 4FA to try. If you go to the Skyllghter site they have a good chart and description of the grades for you to look at. The blasting grades can be purchased for aroung $9.00 a pound in some areas.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Deer Creek Products, Waldron IN, about 50 miles NW of Cincy, off of I-74. He may not have Elephant anymore but he carries Lidu if your looking for cheap, last I got was $6 a lb. It is cheaper by the case. It is dirty as hell unless you sift it But he also carries Goex and Swiss. His prices are some of the best around, especially if you can pick it up. Phone (765)525-6181.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Goex Cartridge is available in 25lb bags. I'm not real sure but I think that their regular grades of 1,2 and 3f are also available in bags. The price last year for Cartridge in the bag was about 9$ a pound.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Doc Carlson at Upper Missouri 402-388-4844 was the main distributor of Elephant when they were in business. They had an ooops a few years ago and were gone like a flash in the milling room. If anyone would have any Elephant left it would be him.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I believe it was a flood, rather than a flash.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Goex Cartridge is available in 25lb bags. I'm not real sure but I think that their regular grades of 1,2 and 3f are also available in bags. The price last year for Cartridge in the bag was about 9$ a pound.
    Sounds fairly good to me, where was this?
    My firearms project blog

If you can drive down just below Indianapolis, I belive Deer Creek is your best bet.
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Boolit Man
    The Log cabin shop in Lodi, Oh. is a big black powder distributer. Might want to check with them.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Wonderwolf Bear River Powders in Evanston wy will sell it that way, as will a couple of others.
    Go to the Goex site and contact the distributor/dealer nearest you
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

I think I remember reading that the Elephant Powder factory in South America blew up about 8 years ago. Flood might have got the distributor, though. I still have 4 lb. of Elephant FFg!
    I would like to find someone close to me that stocks BP year around.
    USMC 1980-1985

Charlie Sometimes. I get mine in Winchester Va. I go there a couple times to shoot and they have the best selection I know of,all mfg. 25 lb baggie for 248.00 last spring of goex.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    I think I remember reading that the Elephant Powder factory in South America blew up about 8 years ago. Flood might have got the distributor, though. I still have 4 lb. of Elephant FFg!
    I would like to find someone close to me that stocks BP year around.
    ..............The Elephant facility DID have an explosion, but it was a flood that ended things for them. A shame too as until Elephant showed up Goex had the show to themselves and were a bit less then customer responsive. Elephant on the other hand was listening and very willing to try and accomodate the customer. The company was offered for sale. I don't know if it was privately held, a partnership or what.

While the deal was being worked out (the plant needed upgrading and modernizing) the whole facility was flooded and sustained considerable damge, to which the prospective purchaser wasn't prepared to foot the bill for, plus upgrading and I guess the original owner wasn't either.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance