Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Bronze alloys for jackets

Boolit Mold

Bronze alloys for jackets

Hey Team.
    Long time no post.
    Just wondering if anyone has tried bronze jackets of 5-7% tin instead of zinc? Out of interest, I can swage it as it’s an available substitute to gilding metal which I don’t have. Thanks.

Side note:
    I have now absolutely perfected making my own dies, in any geometry, boat tail seaters all that jazz and can whip them up reasonably fast. Freaking gorgeous. Hitting on average +/- 2 micron on finished diameter. Boom.
    Last edited by Medicaus; 04-27-2024 at 05:59 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I don't have a strip jacket maker, yet. I have been trying to source metal strip in anticipation of getting one. I would love to see pictures of your dies and jackets. Let us know how the bronze works out. I don't see why it would not work. the main thing you need is something just a little harder than copper so the jacket is not as prone to fouling the barrel. Have you tried sourcing red brass? It is 85/15, copper/zinc, and is sometime more available than gilding metal. Some red brass alloys have lead and tin and less zinc. I would avoid those alloys for jackets. I end up using fired brass cases most of the time because they are less expensive (or used to be). Price on everything ammunition related has just gone through the roof, when you can find it. That is one reason I have jumped into swaging in a big way, big for me at least. Sorry I could not be more helpful on the bronze question.
    Last edited by rolltide999; 05-02-2024 at 12:22 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Are you producing to sell?

Boolit Mold
    Why do you want some? Haha.
    No. Dies maybe one day. Just happy doing my own thing right now. I don’t think I could swage enough jackets at home for 5% of people On this forum.

I would be interested to know how much you would charge for point forming die.