RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Hammer gun -new pins ?

Boolit Master

Hammer gun -new pins ?

if wrong section please move

I am thinking of picking up an old combination gun. It is a breach loader with exposed hammers. I have heard that these are notorious for throwing the firing pins back through the shooters head. Hammers only slow it down a tad. If this is true, is there any cure? Make new pins of better material? stronger hammers and springs?

What are your thoughts?

thanks in advance

In my playing with guns for over 60 years, I've never before heard of that issue - except for the odd person who shot modern ammo and/or heavy loads in one.

My hammer double has never experienced a hammer being driven back off the FP.

IME, if the gun is "on face", w/o any other barrel/action issues (like rust, cracks, etc), it may be shootable with special low-pressure loads.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

never heard of such an occurrence in my 78 years - in the hammer doubles i have owned i believe the hammers will deflect the pin away from shooters face if that could ever happen -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I think you have been led astray.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Urban myth -- from the twenties??
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

The loads would need to be high enough to pierce the primer, probably around 60,000psi. At that pressure on an old black powder gun the barrels would be history. I have heard stories of old rolling blocks pushing the hammer back and opening the action, but again I have never seen one do that. A pierced primer can cause you to get powder burns. Most modern rifles have a vent to deflect the gas from following the firing pin. Some of the stories going around about firing pins hitting someone in the head are more fairy tails than not. I did see a gun blow up from using to light a load of slow burning powder, called detonation. A very very rare thing. I have seen many pierced primers, usually cause by to large of a firing pin on a high pressure cartridge. Can happen when converting an old shotgun to a centerfire cartridge. If the firing pin diameter is not reduced in diameter the primer can pierce. Strange but often happens most when going to 22 Hornet.

Boolit Grand Master

Someone is pulling your leg.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Sounds like a gun store "counter" story you can hear some strange and outrageous stuff in a LGS.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Sounds like a gun store "counter" story you can hear some strange and outrageous stuff in a LGS.
    Yep - some gunshop counter employee's experience comes from selling pencils......
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I just Googled "Firing Pin Through Head". 165,000,000 results in 0.31 seconds. Not one of them about someone actually being struck in the head by a firing pin. It is possible to blow up a rifle and get hit in the head with a chunk of breech block or a rifle bolt, but you'd really have to work hard to get one of those Darwin awards.

What a load of you-know-what. In 1974 I had a Bernadelli Itallia shotgun gun made for me, fitted at their factory and it took 11 months to make.
    It was one of the lightest side-by-side shotguns ever made in their day. And very strong.
    The firing pins are captured by retaining bushings in such a manner, they could never be "blown" out of the shotgun, the shotgun would have blown apart long before that.
    https://picturearchive.gunauction.co...thumbnail1.jpg

I have an old double barrel with hammers that I converted to .45-70, I'm not too worried about the firing pins shooting out the back side.

Boolit Master

I recently watched a YouTube video by “tinkertalksguns”. He related how he converted a single shot top break, hammer fired shotgun to 22 Hornet. He had video footage (and a nice red divot on his forehead) showing him firing the rifle and the firing pin blow out and wack him. He postulates the firing pin was held in the breech by a small set screw. The higher pressure of the Hornet cartridge was too much for the set screw to hold. Seeing the video footage, I have no reason to doubt him.

Here’s a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8lC7WEFK3U
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 04-28-2024 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added link

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I recently watched a YouTube video by “tinkertalksguns”. He related how he converted a single shot top break, hammer fired shotgun to 22 Hornet. He had video footage (and a nice red divot on his forehead) showing him firing the rifle and the firing pin blow out and wack him. He postulates the firing pin was held in the breech by a small set screw. The higher pressure of the Hornet cartridge was too much for the set screw to hold. Seeing the video footage, I have no reason to doubt him.

Here’s a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8lC7WEFK3U
    I mentioned that in my post. You need to bush the firing pin when going to a higher pressure cartridge, especially to 22 Hornet. Many of the old shotguns have a firing pin that is 1/8" diameter, most high pressure rifles have a firing pin closer to 1/16" diameter.

Boolit Bub

OP, Did the guy who told you this fable also say the source was some guy his cousin's girlfriend's granpa knew?
    I've shot a Husqvarna double, underlever, 16 gauge, external hammer in weekly CAS events for 20 years without a problem. And if a firing pin did somehow force it's way past the retaining ring that holds them captive, and then managed to force the hammer back out of it's way against some pretty strong spring tension, it would go up, not back at my head.
    Reloading is dangerous, you're going to blow yourself up.
    Edit: Big difference in Shotgun pressures and rifle pressures, yes. BTW, my Trapdoors were designed for the pressures of BP 45-70 loads, and 150 years of use hasn't posed any problem that one hears about.
    Last edited by K43; 04-30-2024 at 11:23 PM.

I haven't noticed any issues with my old double barrel after shooting quite a few rounds of .45-70 at trapdoor levels.
    The firing pins are held in by set screws.
    After watching that video, I think I will be tapping the firing pin channels and adding bushings.