MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Can you use the short rifle powder through die for 9mm?

Boolit Buddy

Can you use the short rifle powder through die for 9mm?

Lee says there is no universal powder through die for pistol. I am having an issue with the powder drum on the 9mm powder through expanding die in that it expands the case mouth way too much and on top of that the powder drum does not make a complete rotation enough to drop enough or consistent powder in the case. Is it because the 9mm is such a short case that the short rifle powder through die won’t work on it? I have the Lee Pro 6000 so I’ll have an extra spot for it. Thanks in advance
    stay frosty

Lee; still seems to be a project.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    So, no, you can't use the short rifle charging die. I know, I've tried....

Lee did make a universal charging die at one point that could do pistol, or rifle charging. I have used it with 9mm in the past. The problem is, it's no longer made. I have one, and I've been looking to buy a second one for several years. It had 2-3 brass spacers that went inside. Depending on which two you used you could do basically any cartridge - even .380acp. But again, I haven't seen another in years. So good luck finding one.

For now, I'm using the 9mm Powder Through Expander die. It works, and I have not had any issues with it. Matter of fact mine actually charges before it expands the neck. It expands in the last 1/2" of stroke on the press handle.

I still have my other powder through die, but I'm using it with a different die set, so this is the best I've come up with. I've also found that nearly all die sets need a powder charging die riser....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks good to know. Do you think I can use a 380 expander or something inside the 9mm die body?
    stay frosty

Boolit Master

Do you know that Lee now makes the powder thru dies with the Lyman M die insert?
    I just bought them for the .45 ACP and 9mm. They work great.