RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 311316 in a 32 S&W Long

Boolit Grand Master

311316 in a 32 S&W Long

I found a fairly large stash of sized and lubed 311316 bullets that I’d forgotten I had. They even had the gas checks installed. I want to load some fairly brisk 32 S&W L rounds for my CCW. It’s a 32 He snub built on a post War I frame (UnImproved, with leaf spring). I’m used to loading 95 grain swaged SWCs over 2.3 gr or so of Bullesye for this gun but would like to go to a slightly more stout load using the GC 115 gr bullet and either 231/HP38, Bullseye, or perhaps Unique.

I don’t need to feel the Earth move; I’ve got a couple of 327 FMs for that. I just want to take advantage of the heavier bullet and get a more authoritative load than the cat sneeze factory spec loads. Does anyone have a tried and true load they’re willing to share here or via PM?

TIA ~ Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You can increase the Bullseye to 2.5 grains in the I-frame or 3 grains in a J-frame or 3.0 and 3.5 of 231. These should not be exceeded if you want the guns to last.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, friend Outpost75. There were a couple of folks on my wish list to hear from and your name was right at the top. I appreciate your response.
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 on the 3.0 grains of 231, I have used it with a 311-008 in my post war I frame, but have not been bold enough to use it in my older, 1920's gun. 3.2-3.5 grains of Unique is also worth consideration.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Much as gracias, RTG. I’m in my happy place when I’m using 231!
    Froggie

I just got back from the range yesterday. I loaded 3.2 grains of Unique behind a powder coated Keith SWC that was 100 grains. The rounds had little kick in my Colt Officer's Model 32 with 6" barrel. However the brass was pretty black and the gun was fairly dirty after 50 rounds. I plan to try 5 grains of 2400 next. Maybe 231 next if I don't like the 2400.

I will say this the Unique rounds were quite accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks to those of you who replied to this question via post or PM. I seem to recall loading some 3118 bullets in 32 S&W Longs for an old Regulation Police Revolver at the time I was fooling with a low wall I had gotten rechambered, but those loads may have been H&R for the low wall.

Regardless, I don’t have any fresh memories of loading in this range. I think I’m going to try 2.5 of Bullseye for a few rounds and 3.0 of 231 for a few rounds to start with... enough to test in one of the bigger, stronger revolvers then do some serious testing in the snub. I’ve established that I can load some good rounds with the lighter (90-100 gr) loads, but I want to specifically get a good heavy bullet load for the little gun. I don’t guess I can reach the threshold for a “heavy, slow moving projectile”, but I’d like to branch out in that general direction. Thanks again.
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Might try 3.3 gr Unique under the 311316. That load pressure tested at 18,000 psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Excellent Larry. That’s exactly the kind of info I needed!
    Froggie