Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: M1917 Adjustable Rear Sight

M1917 Adjustable Rear Sight

I like to shoot my Remington M1917 with either cast or jacketed bullets. Problem is that I have to shift the front sight .030" left to correct windage when shooting cast. I know that Parker Hale made a target sight for the P14/M1917. The 5B model. But those can be pricey when you find them for sale. They also have a lot more vertical and horizontal adjustment than I need.
    So I'm designing my own adjustable rear sight that can be installed without altering the M1917. It's almost done. Here's a couple pics. The sight has about .040" windage adjustment L or R and is adjusted by turning a screw. Lowest elevation matches the lowest ladder setting. Highest elevation matches the 800 yd ladder setting. My plan is to make the elevation adjustable by turning a screw. Right now elevation is held by the aperture clamping the sight base.
    The base is made from standard aluminum U-channel. The aperture threads into another piece of standard aluminum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEMADE RS 3.jpg   HOMEMADE RS 4.jpg  
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
    W. Churchill

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    "If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, being broke surely must be the Father!"

I like it! I like it a LOT! Keep us posted, sir!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by gunboat57 View Post
    I like to shoot my Remington M1917 with either cast or jacketed bullets. Problem is that I have to shift the front sight .030" left to correct windage when shooting cast. I know that Parker Hale made a target sight for the P14/M1917. The 5B model. But those can be pricey when you find them for sale. They also have a lot more vertical and horizontal adjustment than I need.
    So I'm designing my own adjustable rear sight that can be installed without altering the M1917. It's almost done. Here's a couple pics. The sight has about .040" windage adjustment L or R and is adjusted by turning a screw. Lowest elevation matches the lowest ladder setting. Highest elevation matches the 800 yd ladder setting. My plan is to make the elevation adjustable by turning a screw. Right now elevation is held by the aperture clamping the sight base.
    The base is made from standard aluminum U-channel. The aperture threads into another piece of standard aluminum.
    PLEASE keep us posted!!!!
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Still waiting for some material to arrive before I can finish, but here are some images of what it will look like. I'm using the existing M1917 sight screw and nut to attach the assembly to the rifle. The windage adjustment screw is a close fit between the existing rear sight wings. Turning it moves the sight L or R. The elevation screws bear against the sight screw. Turning those screws in raises the slider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back over.jpg   back under.jpg   front over.jpg  
    W. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Nice!! I found a PH 5B after a semi long search. Not cheap, but a lot less costly than anyone in the U.S. was asking for one. And that is despite being purchased in and shipped from South Africa.

I do like your design. Keep us posted please.

Boolit Master
    gunboat57,

Excellent Post! YES, the M1917 needed a windage adjustable rear sight. In 1916, the British brain cells dropped the Windage Adjustable rear sight from the MkIII Rifle, creating the MkIII*. They also dropped the useless magazine cutoff, which made sense. I have many .303 arms, and some are old MkIIIs with the windage adjustable rear sight which mean as different lots of ammo are issued, one goes a Click right or left for Zero. After 1916, a hammer job to the front sight will render any correction needed until the next batch of ammo arrives! Who would have thought this was "Better?"

The M1903 Springfield had a windage adjustment on the rear sight. Why did the folks adopting the Model 1917 NOT insist on the same rear sight adjustment? Hammer mechanics are not precise and what is the need when a windage adjustble rear sight was ALREADY standard issue? More "military intelligence" I endured during my service days!

Be well.

Adam

Expediency. The U.S was so short of arms they needed anything available RDN, so accepted the M1917 Secondary Standard Rifle
    with as few changes from the P14 as possible.
    I agree that the M1917 could have used a windage-adjustable feature.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Years ago I bought an Ishy No1 MkIII* which had terrible wood but a pristine bore. It cost me all of $59.
    I replaced all the wood and bought a No1 MkIII windage adjustable rear sight leaf for it. Since then it's been my favorite Milsurp.
    It's ugly as a fence post but I can still shoot 1 MOA with that thing with my boolits from a custom mold. They are 195gr and measure .304/.314 after sizing.
    W. Churchill

As they say: "Purtie don't shoot!"

Boolit Master
    Do your fingers fit inside the sight to adjust the windage screw, or does the sight have to be removed to adjust, the reinstalled?

Boolit Master
    Some Winchester P14s have a windage adjustable and finer graduated rear sight ......this was a sniper sight .

Gewehr-Guy, I don't think I'll need to unmount the sight to make windage adjustment. I can adjust the windage by using long nose pliers to grip the center of the windage adjustment screw and twisting it. There's room to do that. I plan to file some flats at the middle of that screw to make it easier to grip.
    Typically, when I adjust my sights, I calculate exactly how many thousandths the sight needs to move based on comparing POI with POA on a target. Then I use my calipers to measure between the rear sight and some reference feature as I adjust. On my new sight, windage adjustment can be measured between my sight base and one of the protecting sight ears. Elevation adjustment is measured between my slider and the top of my base.
    Last edited by gunboat57; 04-27-2024 at 07:07 AM.
    W. Churchill

It's rainy here in NW Pennsylvania, so I can't mow the lawn. And the aluminum bar stock I ordered hasn't arrived yet. So I designed another rear sight using the aluminum I had at hand. See the pics below.
    This version uses two 3-48 screws to replace the existing sight screw. Windage is adjusted by just tightening one 3-48 screw deeper than the other. Elevation is controlled by a set screw going up from underneath. That set screw is easily accessible if you pull the bolt out of the rifle.
    Fewer parts is a nice feature. But yowza! Those 3-48 threads are fun to tap! I think the original sight screw and nut were 3-48 or possible even 3-56? That must have been a production headache!
    Anyway, I'll have both sights complete about the same time next week. Can't wait to try them out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ASSY 2 A.jpg   RS ASSY 2 A.jpg  
    W. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Do your fingers fit inside the sight to adjust the windage screw, or does the sight have to be removed to adjust, the reinstalled?
    Gewehr,

My several Pre-1916 MkIIIs with windage adjustable rear sights are easy to click adjust. Why would anyone need to remove the sight to adjust windage?

Be well.

Adam

I think Gewehr was asking about my homemade rear sight. I think...
    W. Churchill

I finished my rear sight, first version, and went to the range today. Could only shoot at 50 yds but it was much easier for my 66 year old eyes to hold a good sight picture. I calculate that I need to lower my slider .070" to be dead on with my cast loads. Just need to loosen the aperture a bit, turn a set screw a few turns, then re-tighten the aperture.
    The sight is solid and can be adjusted with precision using calipers. No alterations of the rifle were needed. And, of course, the original military sight can be re-installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEMADE RS 5.jpg  
    W. Churchill

Neat sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to post a target pic. I've been testing various loads of IMR 4198. Is it better to use more powder or use foam backer rod with less powder? My new rear sight helped me find the answer. Distance is 50 yards, off a bench rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TARGET 20240503.jpg  
    W. Churchill