MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Phil Shoemaker interviewed by Ron Spomer

Boolit Bub

Phil Shoemaker interviewed by Ron Spomer

Saw this video over on 24hcf. Phil Shoemaker recounts killing a big bear with a 9mm. It's a good interview with someone who has a lot of real world experience.

https://youtu.be/UANI6U-SL4o?si=NSKVgr_WTXKjXDdr

Yes, I've always liked Phil Shoemaker. His daughter also guides hunts in Alaska, and carries a 357 revolver for protection against bears. I reckon that family knows more about bear defense than most.

I enjoyed the video very much.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    I enjoyed the video very much.
    As did I. I'm sure he could write quite the entertaining book of short stories or tales from his time guiding in Alaska.

Boolit Bub
    Through the 70's and 80's I worked as a gunsmith in Alaska. My experience with bears was similar to Phil's. In fact, I found most 270 and 375 bullets were pass-throughs on Moose and Bears. One day, I had a customer enter my shop and stated: "I need some hollow points for my Browning Hi-Power". Out of curiosity I asked the customer why and told me the story of a recent experience with Brown Bears. He stated he was kayaking on a river, when he came around a bend and ran aground on a sand bar. On his back, he looked up and saw a big bear above him. The bear took one swipe at the kayak, and tore it in half. He drew is Browning 9mm and managed to take one shot at the Bear, striking the Bear in the chin which dropped immediately. My comment was: "it worked". He still bought the box of Hollow Points.
    I agree with Phil. Put the bullet where it needs to go and learn to avoid a confrontation.

Boolit Master
    Good Interview; My perspective, No 9mm in my holster. But everyone has there preference, & there opinion, which I respect. -06