MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Well, here I am, dipping in the toes

Well, here I am, dipping in the toes

I'll be looking at everything I can find here for 45 Colt black powder. I got into 45 Colt by accident, (bought a Taurus Judge, and I can't own something I cannot reload, of course), but when I realized that A), I am now casting for 45 Colt and B), there is a Howell conversion cylinder for my Uberti New Model Army, and C) well, why not? So, the Howell will be here next week, and I will step into the wonderful world of black powder cartridge - Da Boy is ALL excited about shooting BP cartridge in the big stainless NMA...this should be very interesting.
    That's all, just wanted to note that I am officially broadening my horizons again.

Boolit Grand Master

Start with a load of 2f powder no airspace no compression and a card wad in to .020-.040 thickness range. with the bullet seated to depth. work up from here adding compression and weight as you go. As you add compression fouling will go down velocities will get better and accuracy will improve. Use a lube suited for black powder like SPG. Crimp as needed to hold bullets in place. Being a full case there shouldnt be set back but the bullets could pull under recoil.

Once you find the load you can experiment with different primers wads and lubes.

Shooting BP you will want a handy cleaner at the range I have used windex with vinegar to remove fouling. dishsoap and water works well also.

I also deprime and put the cases to soaking as fired. a jug with soap water works well for this. An old tide bottle with the insert pulled out works good. You want to neutralize the salts and fouling as soon as possible. When home rinse several times in hot tap water then dry and clean.

Whoops - I forgot to separate the brass on the line, and they tumbled with the rest of the brass. I guess they will be easy to spot when I dump it in a few minutes. Live and learn. Thank you for the post, good info, going to fire up the lead pot in a few minutes to try that other boolit. I will also take a "defouler" next time. I hadn't needed one before, so that definitely caught me off guard.

Vendor Sponsor

If you live in AZ you have no issues with a time race to clean the cases, or the rifle for that mater. The south west is dry and under the threshold for problems. Contrast that to much of the country east of the Mississippi and coastal areas that really need to get on the cases right away.

I have shot 10 day match events in Raton, New Mexico and as always, never do anything to the cases and clean when I get home. No difference.
    Chill Wills

Well, it seemed there was for me...

These tumbled in media and polish for about 3 hours. The BP ones one the left, smokeless on the right.

So, I think next time I will follow advice and take that can with me. And speaking of next time, I think this boolit will do the trick, 200 grainer, Range Lead, (reclaimed berm lead from an LE range, 99% jacketed bullets), about as close to dead soft as I can get, and a nice big lube groove.

Vendor Sponsor

Yup, your system is not getting it. A good system to clean is wet tumbling with either ceramic or SS pins. For me the ceramic media is the easiest to separate from the brass.

The brass comes out shining like a dime in a goat's, well.... often better than new.

BTW - when I say no issues, I mean the brass won't be hurt in the long term.
    Have fun.
    Chill Wills

Yeah, sorry, I have what I have, can't afford a new machine right now, my bad. I apologize.
    Thank you to everyone for your help, much appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I soak the shells in a solution of water and DAWN dishwashing detergent. Soak them for maybe 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse with straight water and then lay the shells out to dry. After they are FULLY dry, then they go into the tumbler with walnut shell media for 3 to 4 hours. Forgot to mention that I deprime BEFORE soaking.

If the shells are not completely dry before tumbling, you will have a mess on your hands.

Boolit Grand Master

Add about 2 ounces of mineral spirits to you corn cob media have the polisher running and slowly trickle it in. Let run a few minutes and add the brass. This will rejuvenate the polish and media

I use the iosso brass polish in corn cob my bpcr rifle cases come out looking like new. But when fired at the end of each stage or group they are deprimed and dropped in the tide jug of lemishine and dish soap also. I want to neutralize the corrosive salts as soon as possible.

When the cases come out of the jug after several rinses they are dull in color. I do use a nylon brush on the insides and let dry then into the case polisher they shine up quick in the above method. I add 2 ounces of mineral spirits or alcohol and a cap full of the iosso brass polish. As you use the media over time it gets "full" and becomes less effective. With the soaking you remove most of the crud and media lasts longer.

Thank you for that tip, I will try that next time. As it is I discovered the beeswax bullets I was using for the lube base are VERY old and that might be why the home made lube won't stay on the boolit. I think I will just go ahead and order some DGL or other style factory libe on pay day and see how this goes. I don't want to give up on this idea too quickly.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I have what I have, can't afford a new machine right now, my bad. I apologize.
    Apologize? Right, no need.

The responses are given in the spirit to provide help and give options.
    Chill Wills

Of course, and thank you