Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Murmon green lp primers

Boolit Mold

Murmon green lp primers

A while ago when buying primers I bought a 1k box of murmon large pistol primers.they are no lead advertising and a green,white box.
    I opened them and tried some and out of 20 rounds in a 45/70 had 7 that didn't go off or not hot. Enough to light the 2400 powder.needless to say I don't know where I got em to complain.
    If any suggestions I would like to hear em.thanks

Moderator Emeritus

See if there is an address or manufacturer address on the box. The green primers supposedly have a shelf live of 15 years so shoot them quick.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tom catman View Post
    A while ago when buying primers I bought a 1k box of murmon large pistol primers.they are no lead advertising and a green,white box.
    I opened them and tried some and out of 20 rounds in a 45/70 had 7 that didn't go off or not hot. Enough to light the 2400 powder.needless to say I don't know where I got em to complain.
    If any suggestions I would like to hear em.thanks
    Unlike US primers with higher anvils the Russian primers are flush. They have to be seated to the bottom of the pocket. If they fire on the second or third try it's a process issue not a primer issue.

Couple that with they generally a slightly larger in diameter it's a common complaint with an easy solution.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-19-2024 at 08:07 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Mold
    No address as these are from the Russian located company. They were seated hard enough to arm them. Upon disassembly, they appeared to have been ignited although not enough to ignite the powder column. There was also a click...boom suggesting low primer bristiance. I would like to return them but where and to whom would do that.

Boolit Bub
    I have som of those. I believe it takes a higher powder charge to get to the same spot as you would with a normal primer.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think using 2400 is a good choice with a huge case like a 45/70 and if you are getting delayed ignition stop what you are doing and pull the rest of those bullets. It might not be the primers. Where did you get your load?

Boolit Mold
    From shotgun news article years ago 16 grains of 2400 is magic load for military cast.i have used for many years with wadding no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    Look up some modern loading data and see if 2400 is even recommended any more. A 45/70 has a much larger case capacity than your standard military case and 2400 needs some pressure to burn cleanly so there is no magic load. If you are having delayed ignition this is a major red flag. It sounds like this is a very light load so look at using Unique.

Just speculation on my part, but could it be that you are using a pistol primer where a rfile primer would be more appropriate and perhaps the pistol primer is not "hot" enough?

Boolit Bub
    Here's a description from a retailer that sells murmom hmf large pistol primers.

The large pistol primers, KVB45E, have been extensively tested in the .45 acp with good results but have not been tested in larger cases such as the 44 magnum. No claims are made concerning their use in the larger cases.

Due to their mild ignition characteristics they will produce slightly lower muzzle velocities and chamber pressures and will require a 3 to 15 percent increase in powder charge to duplicate established loading data.

So, they are heavy metal free, no aluminum powder in them or anything like that I guess. They're meant to work with a pistol case that has a higher load density.

Boolit Bub
    May work best in small volume cases such as 38 Special, 9mm, 45 ACP or 44 Special. Realizing some of these are small pistol primers. I would guess HP38, Bullseye, NF100, Red Dot or similar fast burning powders would be more easily lit by the mild flame front.
    Their limited shelf life has put me off buying them. I still have a couple of 1000 bricks that I paid $6.90 for from the drug store back in the 70's. They all go bang.

KB

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tom catman View Post
    From shotgun news article years ago 16 grains of 2400 is magic load for military cast.i have used for many years with wadding no problem.
    Didn't check, but I remember the 16 grain military cast load as being recommended for 8mm-30-06 sized cases. I've used it a lot in those sized cases, I'm not sure how they would work in a 45-70.

This will explain the 2400, 16 grain load way better than I can:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Rifles-Article

Boolit Buddy
    With its large case capacity I would not call a 45-70 a standard military rifle case. 2400 needs some loading density and pressure to burn correctly and 16 grains is an extremely light load. The Lyman cast manual shows starting loads that are 50% higher. If you are getting delayed ignition even with a mild primer that is a danger sign that can lead to flashover and SEE.

I think I would use Large Rifle Primers in a rifle case, not Large Pistol Primers.
    I would also stay away from greens, greens are for salad.
    I won't comment on the load, I have never used 2400 in a .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    The load of 16g of 2400 with batting works great with lrp and lpp.the issue is the green primers. I tried them in 44mag today with 4.7g Bullseye and in 45auto same load and had no misfires. So at least I can use them.wont buy any more though.

Boolit Master
    If you use LPP in 45-70 and it does not work you can't complain to the distributor or the manufacturer, you are not using them as intended. For off label use the user assumes all responsibility and liability.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless you bought them locally, you cannot return them. You cannot ship primers.

I had 10k primers of the wrong type shipped to me. The supplier told me to take them to the Sheriffs office and get a receipt that I had disposed of them and they were replaced.
    Don Verna