Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic in the casting/reloading room

Very slight tangent... but heading in a good direction;

Take the star with you to a real,not sLowes,Home Despot... welding supply store. Ask them for a name of any retired or small machine shops in your area. Show them the Star, it's lightyears faster than ANY attempt to explain the problem. Once they see you're not trying to circumvent? any uhh,how you say... large shops? They'd know who has the right equipment,as they probably sell gases to the guy. Don't call,go in middle of the week,look for the old guy.

Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Very slight tangent... but heading in a good direction;

Take the star with you to a real,not sLowes,Home Despot... welding supply store. Ask them for a name of any retired or small machine shops in your area. Show them the Star, it's lightyears faster than ANY attempt to explain the problem. Once they see you're not trying to circumvent? any uhh,how you say... large shops? They'd know who has the right equipment,as they probably sell gases to the guy. Don't call,go in middle of the week,look for the old guy.

Good luck with your project.
    I like This...Doubly Reinforce the "grey Bearded guy"

Boolit Master
    Heli coil kit has everything you need other than a drill and wrench. Measure the opening and get the next oversize. <metric-or fine thread>When I buy a press with old lube I turn it upside down with the plugs out -put in an oil drain pan and install a solder iron and walk off. The old grease melts melts out. Some people boil in hot water with washing detergent. If you can hold a drill straight you can do it. The old plug has threads-just take it to a hardware store and they will sell you the correct size kit. YOU CAN J.B. Weld it back in. It has to be clean and let dry overnight.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 04-22-2024 at 10:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Heli coil kit has everything you need other than a drill and wrench. Measure the opening and get the next oversize. <metric-or fine thread>When I buy a press with old lube I turn it upside down with the plugs out -put in an oil drain pan and install a solder iron and walk off. The old grease melts melts out. Some people boil in hot water with washing detergent. If you can hold a drill straight you can do it. The old plug has threads-just take it to a hardware store and they will sell you the correct size kit. YOY CAN J.B. Weld it back in. It has to be clean and let dry overnight.
    If You discover that you Can't..it just got Worser!!

Boolit Master

I do not know how the Star works, but I am not a fan of helicoils. Timeserts are a much better repair especially if that bolt gets adjusted or goes in and out on a regular basis.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I do not know how the Star works, but I am not a fan of helicoils. Timeserts are a much better repair especially if that bolt gets adjusted or goes in and out on a regular basis.
    I quit using timeserts, with their Proprietary Odd Thread OD... Fastenall, offers same thing. Large or Small OD, with Regular Common Thread!!! But...In many Applications (certainly Room for OD) the Helicoil works just Fine!!

Boolit Master

Several vehicles ago I had a brake caliper bolt that stripped. I used fine steel wool and red lock tite to make the bolt hold. That's how it went to the junk yard.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I quit using timeserts, with their Proprietary Odd Thread OD... Fastenall, offers same thing. Large or Small OD, with Regular Common Thread!!! But...In many Applications (certainly Room for OD) the Helicoil works just Fine!!

Well, despite whatever brand is used I still believe an insert is a much more lasting repair if the bolt is removed and replaced on a regular basis.

I checked mine, I'll need to get heavy handed to get the plug out, but enough threads showing to determine 27 tpi, and the diameter makes it 9/16. I've found taps for sale, and go-no go gauges for 9/16 x 27 thread.
    It's an odd size!

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Three options, DIY, send out for repair, or sell and replace. I am thinking you might need to sell and replace; you don't seem to understand what is required to repair.
    Tim
    Oh, I certainly do understand. That's why i am reaching out.
    To me, the Star sizer is THE most important piece of equipment I own. With Magma gone, I need to turn to those that know far more than me.
    Like Dirty Harry said "....a man's got to know his limitations"..... and this one is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy past my capability.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Well, despite whatever brand is used I still believe an insert is a much more lasting repair if the bolt is removed and replaced on a regular basis.
    I still haven't figured out what it is that we are supposed to be inspecting when the inspection plug is removed.
    I the 30+ years I have owned mine, it has never been removed....not once.
    Let's hope someone picks up the pieces of Magma and starts making them again.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 04-24-2024 at 06:01 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Star were rather fond on the 27 pitch threads as their primary business was irrigation parts for the Citrus growers.

That brass plug may also be tapered.

I have machined a lot of Star parts for Star Machine Works over the years; but, have not been tasked to make a greaser plug.

Cheers,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I still haven't figured out what it is that we are supposed to be inspecting when the inspection plus is removed.
    I the 30+ years I have owned mine, it has never been removed....not once.
    Let's hope someone picks up the pieces of Magma and starts making them again.
    My suspicion is it's to bleed air when putting in a new tube of bullet lube as opposed to just going back to lubing boolits under the assumption that the entrained air would eventually fart it's way out.

I'm of the "it'll make it's way out in it's own good time" school, never bothered to bleed any air out.

It could also serve as a drain hole if you are applying heat to clean it out for a change over to a different type of lube.

I actually pulled my plug out just to see what it was all about. If the threads did pull out, I suspect a through cleaning and degreasing of the hole and the threads followed by a thin coat of something like JB Weld on the plug then re-inserted firmly into the hole and let cure for a minimum of 24 hours would solve your problems.

Locktite also made a thread repair product:https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-23638.../dp/B01M1ECJ0E

that will have directions right in the package on how to use.

You may want to aquire a small clamp to hold the plug in place while the adhesive cures. Take the entire unit to your local hardware store, have the clerk help you find a c-clamp or small bar clamp to hold it in.

I don't think the lube at that point is under high pressure, I think the higher pressure is in the smaller chamber that pumps the lube into the grooves at the very end of the stroke.

Good luck.

Boolit Master

There must be some pressure there. What caused it to blow out?

There must be some pressure there. What caused it to blow out?
    I'm not sure. I was at the very end of one lube stick and had just put a new one in. I let it soften then BANG! Out it popped when I cranked down on the handle.

I just looked at my Star and thought the brass plug is a rather large size. I've owned two of these and have never had to remove the brass plugs. If there are enough threads/roughness, left how about J-B weld the plug in place but after drilling and tapping the brass plug for a smaller plug?

Had my star in my hands last night, I was wrong, the plug appears to be on the high pressure side, I still believe that it can be JB Weld/Located back in place.

You said in 30 years you've never had occasion to remove the plug permanently glueing it in probably won't affect the operation of the sizer.

Boolit Master
    Yours look like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0285.jpg  
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 04-30-2024 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Yours look like this?
    Yes. Yours is a San Diego Star because of the blue paint (I think.)
    I don't think they are any different with the Magma.

I like your "heater" 45DUDE !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast