Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: shallow primer pockets

Boolit Master

shallow primer pockets

I recently loaded some cast rounds for my 9.3x74 double, using Norma brass, and the action didn't want to close. I thought the bullets were probably not seated deep enough. I checked and found that the primers were standing proud of the case. I cleaned the primer pockets and the primers were still high. I ended up reaming the pockets slightly deeper. That solved the problem. I've never had that problem before in many years of reloading. In a bolt action the bolt would have been slightly hard to close. In the double it was impossible to close the action. Glad I didn't have a slam fire.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a slam fire once at the range. 300 blackout. Took a nice chunk out of the cement slab.
    Changed my shorts and made it policy to look across the case head on every brass I prime from then on.
    Naturally, since I started checking for it, not one high primer.

Boolit Master
    Just goes to show that you have to be observant about everything when reloading and that no matter who you are nor how careful you are, you may miss something sooner or later.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Just goes to show that you have to be observant about everything when reloading and that no matter who you are nor how careful you are, you may miss something sooner or later.
    Absolutely, I long ago acquired the Habit of running my thumb (or a Fingertip) over the Head of each case as I prime..
    Obviously I don't do "automated"

Boolit Master

I have had people tell me that I carry my case preparation too far but then again I have not had a misfire since the early 1960's and that was a factory round. When I get brass, whether it is new or once fired, I do the following in roughly this order: 1. de-prime, 2. uniform the primer pocket, 3. de-burr the flash hole, 4. clean the case by wet tumbling in a Thumblers Tumbler, 5. Full length size the case, 6. trim the case to half way mark between the maximum and minimum specs., 7. Chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth. 8. Check the case for headspace and over all length on a Forster case gage for that caliber. Then and only then do I load. This has worked for me all the years that I have been reloading ammo. It may not be for everyone but I really enjoy loading anyway, so why not do it the best I know how. my experience anyway not binding on anyone, james

Boolit Master

Stand your newly primed cases on a small piece of glass next to where you prime your cases.
    If they wiggle or wobble at all, the primer is high.

Moderator Emeritus

Happy you saw the high primers and that you ad not a slam fire. Years back a fellow at range had a high primer jam the cylinder in the revolver he was attempting to shoot. (I never did hear how that turned out... we suggested, and I assume, he took it to a 'smith?)
    Anhoos -- I keep a Brother label on my bench, and -- germane to this -- reckon it may be helpful to share.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primer Pockets.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	325815
    geo

the problem can occur on new cases as well as on used ones, although for different reasons_
    the Sinclair Primer Pocket Uniformer it's my fool-proof insurance against shallow/uneven primer pockets, and never disappointed me_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I have had the same thing with new Privi cases for 7.62 Nagant revolver. Altering them to fit .310 Martini Cadet. An easy conversion, cut to length, chamfer and run in a full length size die.

Disappointing to find that from Norma, but nothing's impossible.
    Cognitive Dissident

One of the reasons to use a caseguard plastic box [or something similar] to keep your loaded rounds in. Makes it very easy to check primers. I’ve seen cas shooters who carry loose ammo try shooting a round with a backward primer on several occasions. Poor quality control.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    …I’ve seen cas shooters who carry loose ammo try shooting a round with a backward primer on several occasions. Poor quality control.
    Also an issue with other action shooting sports, especially the pistol games. Lots of rounds go down range in both practice and matches. That means progressive presses are used to crank out hundreds of rounds an hour that don’t get handled or eyeballed but for spot QC checks before being taken to the range.